The Weight, by The Band

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Broadman, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

This is probably real obvious, but exactly are the lyrics to The Weight about? It has some religious / spiritual stuff in it, but I'm curious as to what all the metaphors are about. I really, really love this song, and my interest in it has been re-sparked as I recently started listening to the Staple Singers, who do a killer version of it (as well as with The Band on The Last Waltz).

2. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

It's the story of Jesus ("I pulled into Nazareth..."). That's what I've always heard, and it makes sense. Though I don't remember reading about Crazy Chester in the Bible.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  4. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Cassandra Wilson has powerful rendition of "The Weight" on her album Belly of the Sun. An outstanding album that sounds great on redbook CD, and I can only imagine how stunning it would be on hi-res.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

First and foremost, it's a great song. Great images. Great piano and three-stage harimonies on "and you put the load right on me". Superb.

Great link, Phil. [​IMG]

I love The Band. I love songs like 'The Weight' - songs about American History/Mythology. Neil Young - another Canadian writing about American History is right up there: 'Pocahontas', 'Powderfinger' and taking a wider scope, you have 'Cortez The Killer'. Amazing stuff.

Gordy

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks for the link. Great read.
    I admit I'm happy that I'm not the only one who doesn't have a clear idea of what it's all about.

I always associated "old Luke" with Luke of the gospels, something never mentioned in that article.