What's new

The Weekly Roundup - You Never Miss It Til It's Not There (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I never realized how much I enjoy and indeed look forward to Sundays and David Lambert's Weekly Roundup. When I read his "it's coming" message today, I couldn't believe how disappointed I was. (not disappointed in David, just that the Roundup wasn't there)

I don't know how much thanks you get for what you do, Mr. Lambert, but you perform an invaluable service to those of us here on the HTF. And it's a good read to boot!

Thank you.

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
These days a newspaper isn't all that helpful for the new releases. Too many of the big B&M's have just gone to advertising "LOW PRICE".

The Roundup is a great service and I really appreciate all the time and effort David puts into it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If my sales circulars had the occasional amusing editorial interjections that David's posts do, I would be satisfied with them, but as things stand, I look forward to David's round-ups as well. Thanks, David.

Regards,

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well we're talking about the Sunday paper. Where do you live? It's $1.50 everywhere I know about.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
BUY...A....NEWSPAPER! :)
It's like 50 cents, geez ;)
GET...A...LIFE! :)
Actually the Richmond Sunday paper (which I do suscribe to, BTW) is a relative bargain at $1.00. The problem, as many have mentioned, is you frequently get the unhelpful "Hot Price" listing (as with Best Buy and Buffy:S3, somthing I know you'll appreciate) as opposed to the accurate price that Mr. Lambert can get. And as I said before, it's just a darn good read!
So :p) to you Jeff!;)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
The reasons why the Roundup is better than the paper are so obvious and numerous, I almost feel silly posting more of them. But, as I'm in full agreement with the first message in the thread, here are some more reasons why the Roundup is ten times better than the newspaper:
- The columnar format makes it extremely easy to scan across and compare prices. I read the Sunday ads from two papers every week, but I still rush to see if the Roundup is online, because it makes planning the week's shopping so easy!
- The papers I read only carry BestBuy, Circuit City and Target ads. The Roundup has a broader selection (plus it often completes the discs that are listed as "Low Price" in the sale papers, as has already been mentioned).
- The list of upcoming price reductions;
- The added commentary after the main table has often been helpful, pointing out things I might have missed, and things not in the ads;
- It starts a great message thread every week! The additional postings to the thread have sometimes been as helpful as the Roundup itself.
- There are two feet of #&@*@ snow outside this morning, and dang it, I want to stay inside where it's warm! :D
But seriously, I don't think I've posted my own thanks for the Roundup yet, and I did want to say it's something I look forward to every week. It's not only saved me a fair amount of money, but I just enjoy the discourse that goes on in the thread. I'm sure it's a lot of work, but please keep it going. It's the best!
- Bob P.
My collection: http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=bobpierce

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Plus David doesn't do crap like Best Buy and only picture the Pan and Scam verison and have a LITTLE symbol saying widescreen. Keep up the good work David. Because depending on the price, I might pick up the Shield along with Signs and Buffy.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as a Roundup devotee. It usually makes for my first visit on Sundays (depending on when I wakeup :) )
Thanks David (whom I shall forever remember as Al Bundy :emoji_thumbsup: )

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, you too can go to your target store's website then, just like Dave does. The poor man has a life, a wife and a son. Since you can't buy the stuff till Tuesday anyway, as long as it hits before 11:59PM Monday you're fine

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: It's cool, Jeff. Thanks for sticking up for me!
Everyone else: it...is...UP! Thanks for your kind words and devotion. I'm glad I can do something contructive for everybody. It makes me feel good!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It continues to amaze me that so many people are flummoxed by the "Hot Price" and "Low Price" designations. It's been my observation that the HP/LP is always the same price as the price of the item right next to it on the page, usually the HP/LP symbol is overlapping both items (one with a price, one without), but the price is the same for both.

Example: This weeks Best Buy circular has HP straddling "Signs" and "Unbreakable." "Unbreakable" is clearly priced at $14.99. So "Signs" is, in all likelihood, priced at $14.99 as well.

Example: Further down the same page, HP is linking "Oz" and "Buffy-Season 3." "Oz" is priced at $39.99. "Buffy" should be the same, $39.99.

Example: Below "Buffy," there are two HP symbols linking "Martin Lawrence Live" to "Barbershop" to "xXx." "Barbershop" is priced at $17.99. I'd bet ML and xXx will also be $17.99.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I used to think that too. However, I have occassionally wasted a trip to a store only to find it not the case. In other words it's usually the same price, but not always. That makes it much more of a pain to me.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Circulars are fun to leaf through, but The Roundup cuts right to the meat. I couldn't start my week without it!
Worthy of specific and earnest applause is David's intentional omission of any MAR titles. :emoji_thumbsup:
So if I haven't said it in a few weeks, thanks Dave!

GaryEA

Second Unit
It's been my observation that the HP/LP is always the same price as the price of the item right next to it on the page, usually the HP/LP symbol is overlapping both items (one with a price, one without), but the price is the same for both.
In my area, it just isn't that way anymore.

If it was a year ago or even six months, I'd agree with you. Unfortnately, reading the circulars has become a lesson in code breaking with a dose of fortune telling.

-g

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The honest-to-God answer to how I get the prices for the Roundup is "all of the above", plus a healthy dose of intuition/code-breaking (good term there, Gary!), plus the occassional helpful info from someone in-the-know.
Mike, it's none of your business, but I happen to enjoy having sex with my wife a LOT more than Al Bundy does! :D
Again, my thanks to everyone who enjoys and supports the Roundup. It's one of the reasons I keep on doing it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.