What's new

Pre-Order The Way We Were (1973) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is one of those Sydney Pollack/Robert Redford classics that I don't own. This looks like the time to rectify that.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder about a blu ray. This film has only been available as a Twilight Time limited edition (3000 units) blu ray in the US though it received a standard Sony release in other countries. This release is apparently 4K only. Hopefully a press announcement will be posted soon .

I hope the price point means this isn't a movie only release.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Barbra Archives website Streisand worked on this release and put cut scenes back in the film for her cut of the movie as the removal of the scenes always bothered her. Hope it is true and that both versions of the film are included. He mentions that this information is included in the Amazon listing but I didn't see it. Hopefully there will be a press release soon which will confirm this.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Strange that we haven’t seen a press release for this yet. Perhaps soon, if it’s going to make its 2/14 release?

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I assume this film has been delayed from it's February 14th release date as Amazon shows the disc unavailable for order. There has been no official press release or cover art released. I guess a film release date can't be consodered delayed if the studio never announced it to the public.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Per the Barbra Archives website Streisand worked on this release and put cut scenes back in the film for her cut of the movie as the removal of the scenes always bothered her. Hope it is true and that both versions of the film are included. He mentions that this information is included in the Amazon listing but I didn't see it. Hopefully there will be a press release soon which will confirm this.

It's interesting that Sony is allowing her to do this. It's not her film to re-edit, she didn't direct it. I wonder if Pollack were still alive if he would even allow this to happen?

He must have some reason for removing what he did. She's toying with someone else's vision.

How will they be marketing this? The "Extended Edition"? The "Streisand Cut"?

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
I know this won’t be a popular sentiment but I really do hope Streisand added a particular cut scene from the movie—the one that explained the real reason Hubble and Katie broke up. I never understood why Pollack removed that important scene from the movie. It really gives so much more resonance to the characters and the film than Pollack’s edited release version that implied that they broke up over a one night stand.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that Sony is allowing her to do this. It's not her film to re-edit, she didn't direct it. I wonder if Pollack were still alive if he would even allow this to happen?

He must have some reason for removing what he did. She's toying with someone else's vision.

How will they be marketing this? The "Extended Edition"? The "Streisand Cut"?
"The Preview Cut" ? Per interviews with Pollack in the making of doc on the DVD the preview audiences lost interest in the politics by the end of the film so those scenes were cut.

As long as the original version remains available I don't think there should be a problem with an alternate verson.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I just got through watching this. Definitely a case of "opposites attract". Streisand's character was insufferable and I found myself rooting that poor Hubbell just break up with her and put them both out of their misery!

The film was blessed with a great supporting cast. I had forgotten that Lois Chiles and Susan Blakely were also in the film so it was a treat to see these two lovely ladies at the very beginning of their careers.

I know it was a monster hit back in its day but to me this film doesn't hold up.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think at this point we don't know for sure that there is going to be an alternate version of the film. Sony hasn't announced it. As I previously mentioned, they haven't officially announced a 4K release. So far I think the only thing that has been said is that websites like the Digital Bites have said studio sources have stated this is going to happen and Amazon took preorders for awhile. I think it will be released in 4K this year but whether there will be a version with previously cut footage is still to be confirmed. Maybe there is some dispute about including the cut footage and that is the reason for the delay. Just a guess.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, shit. I was going to get this for my wife for Valentines Day.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
When I saw this during its release, I found it to be the worst A-List film I had ever seen. I hated everything about it, including the horrible song. That the film was a hit, along with the horrible song, convinced me that I know nothing about popular tastes and opinions.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I know this won’t be a popular sentiment but I really do hope Streisand added a particular cut scene from the movie—the one that explained the real reason Hubble and Katie broke up. I never understood why Pollack removed that important scene from the movie. It really gives so much more resonance to the characters and the film than Pollack’s edited release version that implied that they broke up over a one night stand.
When I watched the DVD supplements years ago that included the cut scenes, it seemed to me to round out gaps in the storyline that ultimately obviously didn’t hurt its public reception, but said gaps made their breakup somewhat cryptic. I understand how previews can lead to alterations to make films more commercially viable. But it’s sometimes at the expense of the storyline making better sense. I hope both cuts are offered, in 4K if possible, but agree it shouldn’t go beyond a preview cut originally overseen by director Pollack.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is the other version of the song "The Way We Were" Rehearsal

Here is a fully orchestrated version of the song from a live 1980 event. It was partially included in the album "For the Record" but when she starts singing the real "The Way We Were" the album switches to the studio recording, the version below sticks with the live version.

Last edited:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Now if we could only get the "Funny Girl" extended cut, that a few numbers were deleted ??

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I knew someone who’d seen Funny Girl in preview form, with additional Anne Francis scenes and a Henry Street number. He was disappointed to find the cuts in the theatrical release. I agree, I’d love to see this.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe the cut scenes go something like this
Frankie, played by James Woods, Katie's college friend, names her as a member of the Communist Party. She is summoned to testify before the committee. Hubbel could be blacklisted because he is married to her. Someone, her lawyer, Hubbel, or maybe a friend want her to testify that she was an innocent dope tricked into joining the party. She decides her principals are more important then even her love for Hubbel and can not say this. She decides they should divorce so that he won't be blacklisted. She asks him to stay with her until the baby is born, which is in the movie.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Film is a collaborative medium. There are writers, producers, directors, editors, etc. etc. You say it's not Streisand's film to re-edit; by the same token, it very well could not be Pollack's film to re-edit either (were he alive). It all depends on who is the actual copyright owner of the film and what are the contractual provisions regarding "final cut".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks