the Wavebird

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RossTerry, Jun 10, 2002.

1. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

when is it released or available in stores?

2. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

Should be hitting stores sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Anyone try this yet? I'm very interested in it and am wondering if it works well...
    -Andre F

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Every hands-on account I've heard about this controller, including PlanetGameCube's review, indicates the controller is nearly perfect.

Two minor flaws are that it doesn't support the rumble feature (which isn't a big deal, and can even be a plus for some people); and that it doesn't have a low-battery indicator. Fortunately, it does have excellent battery life.

5. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

No rumble feature? So much for my plan of carrying it around in my pants while not gaming.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The WaveBird uses an RF signal, so it can be used at longer distances than other infrared controllers and even through walls. I plan on getting a few of these eventually.

Imagine sending the TV signal to several rooms so the people playing are all separated, and then they all play the game without being by the console...

7. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

9. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

so, has anyone found one in stores yet?

10. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

11. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

EB is apparently running a pretty nice deal right now. If you turn in a regular Nintendo-brand controller, they'll knock 15 dollars off the Wavebird's price. They'll only let you trade in two controllers for that deal though :) That's much more tempting for someone like me who bought 4 controllers at the Cube's launch...

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Depends on how well a game uses rumble, but it can really add alot to gameplay. For instance, Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast had this cool functionality where you find these little quest items - it would rumble stronger and stronger as you got near it. (forgot what those little things were...) At any rate, I'd probably miss it but would trade the long freaking cables for the convenience, I guess.

13. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Anyone using a Wavebird also have wireless networking at home? I'm curious to see if the Wavebirds screw up my network.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that the WaveBird signals are different from the wirless ones used in networks (like 2.4 GHz). WBs are use RF signals.

15. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

16. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Tried one out today (and subsequently bought it). I'm not a very good judge of distance, but I was probably able to get at least a hundred feet away, and the thing was still working. It was a 20" TV, so I couldn't play it (I knew it was still working, though--the game was Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I was just moving the cursor around on the character select screen, and I could still see the cursor moving around).
    No practical use in that at all (unless you're playing on one of those gigantic multi-screen displays, I guess), but still really cool that it could get that far regardless.
    [​IMG]
    -mwb-

17. Evelio Figueroa

18. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Well, I picked one up today, just to try it out. It was set to Channel 1 by default, and I had no problems with it working with my wireless LAN. The LAN consists of a few Apple Airport cards, a Linksys 802.11b card, and an Apple Airport Base Station. It's set to use Channel 1 as wel. Absoultely no signal degredation. Very pleased. Now I'll buy three more controllers [​IMG]
    Hopefully the Logitech wireless PS2 controllers due out later this summer will be just as good.

19. Evelio Figueroa

I noticed one thing about having more than one Wavebird. If you have one set at channel 1 and the other on 2, it'll work fine. But if you put the one on channel 1 to 2, during game play, it will not work with the receiver thats already set to the other controller. To me thats good. I'd hate to have a friend take control of my character from a distance. [​IMG]

20. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

The EB $15 off deal is was mentioned in a story on IGN Tuesday night. Here's the link