The Watchmen - which version to buy?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Max Leung, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

My QPB book club is offering Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbons' "The Watchmen", but I'm confused as to which edition I should get.

Amazon.com, including the Canadian and UK sites, claim to have the paperback edition of 416(!) pages, while my bookclub flyer says it is 112 pages. Huh? Why the huge difference in page count?

Also, the cover of the QPB version shows a splash of blood on an extreme close-up of a smiley face...the whole cover is yellow except for one black dot that is the smiley's eye. But the picture shown on the Amazon version has a picture of a skycraper, shattered glass, and a distant smiley face with a bulletwound falling to the ground.

Help would be appreciated!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The comic book version is 12 issues, so the 416 pager is probably the one you want to get.

There are different covers (probably all coming from the 12-issue of covers in its initial run in the mid 1980's).

I remember reading the individual Watchmen comics as they hit the comic stores, and having to wait months and months, almost a year (I think) for that 12th and final issue. The wait was agonizing!

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You mean it isn't quite a graphic novel? Hmmm. The book reviews and description imply that it is. As long as it is the only real version out there I guess.

Thanks for the info!

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

It's been sold exclusively in collected form ever since the original mini-series was released, so the term "graphic novel" is the one that fits it best.

5. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Ah yes.. "The Watchmen"... I think I'm going to have to purchase that and read it agian... (Don't want to pull my originals out of safe-keeping)

Heheh...

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Often later editions of Graphic Novels have added extras - sketches,commentaries,pages added that were cut from the original run,etc.

Instead of getting all the Hellboy issues I missed, I opted to get the collected editions.They have sketches,story introductions/background by the creator as well as added short stories to tie everything up better.

The Dark Knight reissue from the mid 90s is full of extra stuff.

That may be why the page # is different.

I know Bud Plant used to offer a colected version of Watchmen that was a deluxe edition(including a Hard cover edition) with all sorts of stuff added - the longer one may be a reissue with these extras.

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Max -

I recently bought the version with the bloody smiley face close up, it is an excellent compilation of the 12 comics. I don't know what the other one is, but it might be the back cover of the same volume (not sure.) Anyway, that one with the close up yellow smiley is a winner all other points being unknown.

Great read, one of the best comic series I've ever had the pleasure to read. Just behind Dark Knight and Ronin as one of my all time favs (and League of Ext. Gents just after Watchmen.)

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The Watchmen is great (so is Terry Gilliam's script by the way). But I prefer V for Vendetta and the Elektra Assasin graphic novels.

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

From Hell is my favorite of Moore's works. It doesn't expand the medium as aggressively as Watchmen does, but I think it's a warmer read [​IMG]

Never have gotten around to reading V for Vendetta...

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'll probably go the Amazon.com route then...I get free shipping in Canada since I got a bunch of other stuff too ("Guns of August is in my cart right now...thanks to that military books thread [​IMG] ).