The War of The Worlds (Pendragon Pictures and The Aslyum versions)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David_Blackwell, Jun 29, 2005.

1. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

While some of us flock to the theaters to see a big budget version of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, two Direct To Video (lower budgeted) adaptations of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS have come out to DVD this month: H.G. Wells' THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (from Seattle based Pendragon Pictures) on June 14 and THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (AKA INVASION) on June 28. I watched The Pendragon Pictures DVD (released through Sterling) which I bought from WalMart for $8.50. This movie had some hype going for it, but it is a disppaointment.

My DVD Review

I haven't tracked down the other Direct To Video WOTW (from The Asylum) which stars C. Thomas Howell and supposedly made on a $10 million budget and takes place in the modern day like the big budget Spielberg movie. Also Supposedly the WOTW film from Pendragon was made for $5 million. Has anyone watched either of these on DVD?

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    check your local renatl store.

my bbv got about 10 of the howell version.

3. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

Yep, watched (or tried to watch!)the Pendragon version which was quite laughably bad. Apart from the ridiculously cheap effects and bad editing, the main nail in the coffin was the abysmal acting. Avoid at all costs.

4. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

Just came back from my BBV and all their copies, about 15 in total were rented of the C.Thomas Howell Jake Busey version. The clerk did mention that several people had complained that this wasn't the Tom Cruise version after they got it home. You gotta wonder what goes on in some people's minds.

5. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

You're right, David, that's what they said, but there's no way Pendragon's movie cost $5 million. It's one of the cheapest looking movies I've ever laid eyes on -- like a modern Ed Wood. I'm guessing it might have cost close to $1 million, but even that wasn't money well spent!

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

One million Hong Kong dollars maybe.

7. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I was thinking about renting this but after reading the posts I think I'll pass.

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I've worked in retail and it was not uncommon for people to come in the weekend of a major motion picture's release, or even earlier, and ask if the film was available on DVD yet. A woman once asked me if we had "The Bourne Supremecy" on DVD the Thursday prior to the film's release. I thought she was asking about the recent re-release of "The Bourne Identity" but she maintained that she was after the sequel. I explained to her that the film wouldn't even be released theatrically until the following day and that DVD released traditionally arrive four to six months after that but she was none too pleased.

9. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    alot of that comes from people who buy movies on the street. they have no concept of when things are actually released for real.

happens every week at the rental store were i work.

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I find it depressing that some folks are as dense as they are when it comes to bootlegs, I have seen a few that a friend has bought (honestly) and you would think that these dummies who buy them on the street would "clue in" to the fact that it wasn't a legitimate release when someone walks in front of the camera (as often happens in the ones that I have seen).

OTOH I hear that some of the asian import bootlegs are shockingly professional looking, I wouldn't know as I have never viewed one nor do I really want to.

11. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. David_Blackwell

I agree. Some low budget movies are hard to get hold of what they really cost to make.

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Thanks for the review (warning) on these! BTW, anybody heard about the original 1950's film-version being re-released as an SE on DVD? There had been rumors a while back but lately I haven't heard a thing...

14. David_Blackwell

Well I still haven't seen the version of WOTW from The Asylum, but I'm still curious about it. I guess I will have to ask Paramount about the WOTW (1953) SE.

15. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
  16. Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley Second Unit

And to think C. Thomas Howell and Tom Cruise were in The Outsiders together. Who knew their careers would take such opposite directions.

Reminds me of when Rob Lowe hosted SNL in the late nineties and did a routine of him reading from his eighties diary where he says something like "just finished The Outsiders and what a crappy cast! Matt Dillon? Patrick Swayze? Tom Cruise? These guys won't go anywhere! But that C. Thomas Howell! I have a feeling he'll go far!"