What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I compared a minute or two from the Special Collector's Edition DVD (the 2nd one, w/ the wires) and the iTunes purchase. It's definitely from the same master. The DVD holds up very well. It's a little brighter, and with harsher contrast. The iTunes HD version has slightly more detail and more balanced contrast. I didn't notice any difference in the sound. The framing seems to be the same.

The HD version does have a lot more speckles and marks.

It's interesting that it has exactly the same chapters w/ preview frames as the DVD.
I have the collector’s edition DVD which has 2 soundtracks, mono and Dolby Surround. There is a huge difference between the stereo sound of the DVD and the mono sound of the iTunes file. I really wish iTunes had the stereo remix which is very well done and atmospheric.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I still have an HD backup of the Amazon Prime release from 2013 when it was free,

Does anyone know why what sounds like an engine revving up occurs just before the Paramount logo appears? I don't recall it being there on the DVD or any previous releases.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I realize there's an HD master. What I take exception with is the probable quality of the HD master.

It's slightly better than the DVD. It certainly would be nice to have a blu-ray based upon a new scan, w/ print damage cleaned up and lossless audio.

Was this one originally available in stereo or 3-track?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It is quite possible that War of the Worlds' 3-track mix only used the other two channels for directional dialogue and sound effects. The existing soundtrack cues (about 16 minutes worth) are all in 35mm mag mono and Paramount doesn't appear to have started recording scores stereophonically until a year after the film's release.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well

Apparently War Of The Worlds has been remastered.

There is currently an HD version on sale at iTunes for $6.99.

The wires have been removed, the picture cleaned up and the sound remixed into 5.1.

I’m all for original content and hopefully a future special edition will contain both versions but I gotta say this new remastered version looks and sounds terrific.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Don't quite understand the optimism about this being released on disc anytime soon -- this is Paramount we're talking. I suppose (and would hope that) Criterion might still have some ties with the studio and that something could eventually transpire that way. But if we can't even get their two missing Oscar-winners (GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and ORDINARY PEOPLE) on Blu yet, I just can't muster a ton of good faith that WOTW is on any kind of fast track to the format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't quite understand the optimism about this being released on disc anytime soon -- this is Paramount we're talking. I suppose (and would hope that) Criterion might still have some ties with the studio and that something could eventually transpire that way. But if we can't even get their two missing Oscar-winners (GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and ORDINARY PEOPLE) on Blu yet, I just can't muster a ton of good faith that WOTW is on any kind of fast track to the format.
People are talking about a new HD transfer and they're hoping for a BD release. Is that's being optimistic or hoping for the best? I think it's the latter.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Well

Apparently War Of The Worlds has been remastered.

There is currently and HD version on sale at iTunes for $6.99.

The wires have been removed, the picture cleaned up and the sound remixed into 5.1.

I’m all for original content and hopefully a future special edition will contain both versions but I gotta say this new remastered version looks and sounds terrific.

And not having hard-wired broadband (stuck with Verizon Wireless), that's $6.99 I won't be spending.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m hoping WotW comes out in a new Blu Ray and Paramount pairs it with When Worlds Collide too! Those two were favorites when I played the laser disc versions, then later on DVD. We finally got The Time Machine on Blu Ray and that is a very nice Blu Ray.

Now in the mean time, I’m kind of curious to see the iTunes version of WotW. However my Apple TV is connected directly to the display. So I’ll have to reconfigure it’s HDMI connections to the pre-amp and then back to the display if I want to hear to audio options. I do wish Apple would have included a second HDMI port. There are no alternatives for audio out.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, Universal has finally licensed films to outside sources (Kino, Shout Factory, Twilight Time) and the coming months should be exciting for those of us who have been asking for certain titles for years. So if Universal can do it, there's always the hope that Paramount could also give in to licensing titles to outside sources. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No. Unless they see physical media as a threat to their streaming and downloading programs.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I would love to buy this title on blu ray.

UHd probably makes sense at this point..

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And not having hard-wired broadband (stuck with Verizon Wireless), that's $6.99 I won't be spending.

??

I also have Verizon Wireless and am not hard wired and have no issues streaming WOTW.

What issues are you having??

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m more that happy with the digital version until the eventual Blu is released.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, Universal has finally licensed films to outside sources (Kino, Shout Factory, Twilight Time) and the coming months should be exciting for those of us who have been asking for certain titles for years. So if Universal can do it, there's always the hope that Paramount could also give in to licensing titles to outside sources. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No. Unless they see physical media as a threat to their streaming and downloading programs.

Paramount has been licensing for years now (to Criterion, Olive and Kino). The problem is they only license out titles they never released themselves on DVD. So this leaves their more recognizable titles absent from release unless they do it themselves, which is almost never nowadays. Same policy also exists for Disney for their Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures titles - if a title wasn't previously scheduled for licensing in the mid-00s to Mill Creek then licensors like Kino haven't been able to get that title.

It's a really odd archaic policy that will hopefully get cracked by one of the boutique labels sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks