What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Does Amazon.US typically have Criterion titles on release day and are they available via Prime? Criterion wants $7 to ship one disc.
Yes, and yes. I did an Amazon pre-order order simply because of that and the price guarantee. If I don't like the lowest price by release date I'll just cancel and wait for a Criterion 50% off sale.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Criterion titles are all on sale, at this moment WOTW is 27.99 + 7.00 to ship. If you received an email with a 10.00 off coupon you can use it, as it worked for my order. If you are an Amazon Prime member, they ship for free. As we get closer to the release date, the price will drop to 27.99 or something near that.

How do you get the $10 off coupon ?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Does Amazon.US typically have Criterion titles on release day..?
Yes in normal times, but I wouldn't count on it now. They've been prioritizing delivery of items deemed essential, which obviously doesn't include discs, and who knows how long that's going to last.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
From the Earth to the Moon is a long time favorite that's not seen either a DVD or BR release... at least none in R1 that I know of (there's a German DVD of that one).

You mean the HBO miniseries? It was released on blu-ray last year in Region 1.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, and yes. I did an Amazon pre-order order simply because of that and the price guarantee. If I don't like the lowest price by release date I'll just cancel and wait for a Criterion 50% off sale.
Right now, it’s listed, but not available for pre-order.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

You mean the HBO miniseries? It was released on blu-ray last year in Region 1.
No, the 1958 movie directed by Byron Haskin (who directed Pal's The War of the Worlds) starring Joseph Cotton, George Sanders, and Debra Paget, based on the story by Jules Verne.

MV5BYzBjMTJiNDMtM2FhMy00Yjg4LWIzZjUtMjgwMzhkMzQ0YmU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I have a copy made from a TCM broadcast loooong ago (it's a VHS copy transferred to DVD). I'd love to see it get a proper R1 DVD or, preferably, BR release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No, the 1958 movie directed by Byron Haskin (who directed Pal's The War of the Worlds) starring Joseph Cotton, George Sanders, and Debra Paget, based on the story by Jules Verne.

MV5BYzBjMTJiNDMtM2FhMy00Yjg4LWIzZjUtMjgwMzhkMzQ0YmU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I have a copy made from a TCM broadcast loooong ago (it's a VHS copy transferred to DVD). I'd love to see it get a proper R1 DVD or, preferably, BR release.

I kind of like this movie, but am terribly distracted by the constant reuse and manipulation of sound effects from FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I kind of like this movie, but am terribly distracted by the constant reuse and manipulation of sound effects from FORBIDDEN PLANET.
There was this one character who was always chewing the scenery like he hadn’t eaten in years. He ruined the movie for me.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Did anyone pre order from Via Vision Entertainment ? And if have you canceled or will you? It's not clear you can from the website.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That apparently changed overnight. I'm guessing they got enough orders to fill expected stock or did a premature listing. It should come back at some point.
Sometimes Amazon lets you enter an email for when it’s back in stock, but not for WOTW.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
All Criterion titles, including upcoming releases are also 30% off SRP until the end of April.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve not made any Amazon orders since the Covid 19 break out and being locked up at home. I could see Amazon is not shipping as quickly based on reports I’m seeing as they are focused on essential items. So I’m torn now how to get the War of the Worlds disc. I doubt the Covid 19 situation will be fully over when this disc is released. I bet we might still be on lock down.

What I found is that Best Buy has been a good option when I needed to get an Instant Pot now that I’m doing more home cooking. They’ve shipped very quickly. I’m not that much in a hurry to get the WotW Criterion blu ray. And I don’t think Barnes and Noble will be open either at the time of release. They do have the option to order through online, so that’s possible. But I’m considering options and I have no idea how Amazon is doing now for shipping.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Barnes & Noble, Criterion.com DeepDiscount all pretty much ship out of the same Warehouse as do most Best Buy orders for items that BBY don't carry in store (the 8 digit SKU)

I've heard virtually no problems so far with shipping delays out of the ALLIANCE Warehouse.
BBY has automatic price matches for Preorders expecting the both B&N and Amazon should have 50% off at release day ASSUMING the normal sale is happening.
Deep Discount and Criterion do not

I'm actually not 100% sure of how B&N handles preorder price changes -- whether they auto correct or you have to cancel/re-order
Many B&N are offering curbside pickup in addition to limited in-store access (obviously unknown how things will be in July)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had ordered Criterion’s Destry Rides Again from Amazon. It had a release date of April 14th. It arrived on the 15th. Prior Criterion purchases from Amazon arrived on release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks