What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Of course, there is no guarantee that Deep Discount and other domestic retails will be able to get these from their Aussie suppliers. When I see the discs I ordered in hand, I will be happy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Coming from Criterion on July 7th!

Nice! They're sourcing it from a "new 4K digital restoration", which I assume will be the same master used for the 4K DV digital version. LOVE the cover!

oGVWh8sN851321NuP26d8kLdoYVtBQ_large.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, created by sound designer Ben Burtt and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2005 featuring filmmaker Joe Dante, film historian Bob Burns, and author Bill Warren
  • Movie Archaeologists, a new program on the visual and sound effects in the film featuring Burtt and film historian Craig Barron
  • From the Archive, a new program about the film’s restoration featuring Barron, Burtt, and Paramount Pictures archivist Andrea Kalas
  • Audio interview with producer George Pal from 1970
  • The Sky Is Falling, a 2005 documentary about the making of the film
  • The Mercury Theatre on the Air radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds from 1938, directed and narrated by Orson Welles
  • Radio program from 1940 featuring a discussion between Welles and H. G. Wells, author of the 1897 novel The War of the Worlds
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic J. Hoberman

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice! They're sourcing it from a "new 4K digital restoration", which I assume will be the same master used for the 4K DV digital version. LOVE the cover!

oGVWh8sN851321NuP26d8kLdoYVtBQ_large.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, created by sound designer Ben Burtt and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2005 featuring filmmaker Joe Dante, film historian Bob Burns, and author Bill Warren
  • Movie Archaeologists, a new program on the visual and sound effects in the film featuring Burtt and film historian Craig Barron
  • From the Archive, a new program about the film’s restoration featuring Barron, Burtt, and Paramount Pictures archivist Andrea Kalas
  • Audio interview with producer George Pal from 1970
  • The Sky Is Falling, a 2005 documentary about the making of the film
  • The Mercury Theatre on the Air radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds from 1938, directed and narrated by Orson Welles
  • Radio program from 1940 featuring a discussion between Welles and H. G. Wells, author of the 1897 novel The War of the Worlds
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic J. Hoberman
Yeah, that 4K master isn't exactly new as it was completed over a year ago. I wonder how many people are glad they didn't order the Australian Blu-ray?

Edit: I double checked and the HD digital on iTunes upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision back in October, 2018.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OMG, that is fabulous cover art. I look at it and start hearing those breathless narrations of sci-fi trailers. Jeez, I have to buy it for the cover art.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A nice surprise--but maybe it shouldn't have been, given that the label has had the later ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS available since LD.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Now you know why I held off on the Australian release , I knew a USA label had it. I waited and it has paid off big time !
I anticipate Sorry Wrong Number and I Married a Monster from Outer Space to get domestic releases as well !! :)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The Imprint release has a audio commentary by film critics Barry Forshaw & Kim Newman so I guess that might be a reason for some to buy it.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I ordered the Australian Blu-Ray. Its a pre-order, so its being canceled. No big deal, no money wasted
I did the same thing. I had ordered the Australian one from Deep Discount and then cancelled the order. I will get the Criterion release instead.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, great news! I was expecting maybe a Paramount release on their new label. So this is a very unexpected and pleasantly welcome news! I’m all in for a Criterion release. I was expecting some comments that it’s not a 4K disc. I did purchase the iTunes version. So when I get a 4K set, I’ll be interested in seeing that version. Though a 4K release on disc is preferred. But I’ll take what we can get. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks