What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Will the Madman Blu of War of the Worlds be all-region or just Region 4?

About region coding, I did buy an Australian blu ray copy of Hitchcock’s Life Boat which played on my US player.

Madman released Lost Horizon on Blu in

Lifeboat was released by Shock, and Lost Horizon by Via Vision - both independent Aussie labels. To my (consumer) knowledge, they are unconnected to Madman.

I checked my Blu-rays by Madman, and the four most recent releases (2017 to 2019) played on my region A player. Two earlier releases did not and were only playable on my region B player.

I don’t think too much can be read into that in terms of predicting whether the upcoming releases will be region free, as that will no doubt be driven by the distribution agreements they’ve struck. What it seems to indicate though is that where possible, they try to release unlocked product for as wide a distribution as possible.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Madman released Lost Horizon on Blu in

I’m not sure how a foreign release “bodes well” for Paramount to release this domestically.

Logically, I don’t see the two things as related

Here's your logic, think of all the movies that were released overseas before they came here. For starters there was the Universal monster movies from the 50s such as The Land Unknown, The Mole People, This Island Earth. Arrow Video released The Car long before Shout Factory did. Those are just two examples. There are other Paramount films that still have overseas releases that have yet to be released domestically such as Graveyard Shift. I think Shout will announce that one. If I had the time to think of more I could but you get the idea - so yeah there is a bit of logic to it. Of course Universal is not Paramount but there is a pattern. I think there will be a US release for War of the Worlds down the line.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am under the impression that War Of The Worlds will get a 4K UHD Blu-ray release but I could be wrong. But based on the title getting a new 4K restoration from the original camera negatives I wouldn't be surprised if we see the 4K release this year or next year. I originally purchased this title on DVD which had a DTS track!

DTS Poster Framed 12_2019.jpg

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I've sent Madman a query as to region access for The War of the Worlds, Sorry Wrong Number, The Duelists and Waterloo, all of which are currently listed as coming in May. When I hear their reply I will share it here.

* Quick and uneventful update. Received a generic 'thank you for your request/order' email from Madman even though I placed NO order. Will see if any further response is forthcoming this week.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is this Aussie release the new restoration that digitally erased the saucer wires? In any case, it will be hard to await a U.S. release...three commentaries and other stuff? I may have to go for it, as we don't really know when (or if) Paramount will give us a domestic edition.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The 1953 War of the Worlds had a DTS track? News to me.
Dave is obviously talking about the remake which did have a DTS soundtrack on the DVD release. The 1953 film was Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo on the special edition DVD. He will be disappointed, when he realizes that the 2005 film has not yet had a 4K makeover!

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Noticed on the Blu-ray details it says widescreen 1.66:1. Is that the correct aspect ratio?

I think Paramount produced Shane and War Of The Worlds as 1.37 but released both in 1953 earmarked for projection in 1.66 since widescreen was the new big thing - so this may be more faithful to the original release as opposed to the iTunes 1.37.

Mayfair_war of the worlds.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave is obviously talking about the remake which did have a DTS soundtrack on the DVD release. The 1953 film was Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo on the special edition DVD. He will be disappointed, when he realizes that the 2005 film has not yet had a 4K makeover!
Reportedly, the 2005 movie will be coming out on 4K in June.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Oooops I don't know how I did not see the the 1953 in the title. :oops::eek:

I have had the Tom Cruise War Of The Worlds on my brain sorry. But I would love a good solid release of the original 1953 War Of The Worlds as well. How is the Blu-ray release?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's being released May 27th in Australia.

Right, but since that date is three months out it is, for all intents and purposes, non-existent at this time. And, Dave's question has no answer yet, since I assume no one has seen the disc and published a review.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh, I think that's stretching non-existent to breaking point. I mean that at this point Tuesday is non-existent, it hasn't happened yet, any forthcoming release is non-existent...na.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh, I think that's stretching non-existent to breaking point. I mean that at this point Tuesday is non-existent, it hasn't happened yet, any forthcoming release is non-existent...na.

Someone asked "How's the Blu-ray release?" Non-existent is a perfectly valid and accurate reply IMO. You can't give an opinion on something that doesn't exist yet. ;)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, whatever. My main interest here is not so much War Of The Worlds, it's Paramount licensing out their popular catalogue. I'll be interested in what pops up next, & where it pops up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks