What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Before transitioning to producing live action movies, Hungarian born George Pal was best known as an animator of the Puppetoons series of shorts here in America. However, following the success of Destination Moon (1950), Pal squarely focused on live action films and would soon become noted for his work in the science fiction genre; one of his most notable productions was the adaptation of H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds. Paramount had previously released the movie on DVD and Imprint released a region free Blu-ray, but Criterion has given the movie its US Blu-ray debut as part of its collection.

The War of the Worlds (1953)

Released: 26 Aug 1953
Rated: G
Runtime: 85 min

Director: Byron Haskin
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Cast: Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, Les Tremayne, Robert Cornthwaite
Writer(s): H.G. Wells (novel), Barré Lyndon...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is your rating for Audio correct? You have it at “1/5”

The text implies little to no problems (even a ‘major improvement’)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Stunning remaster. That proves once again that you dont need a 4k HDR disc for a dynamic visual experience.

Last edited:

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Stunning remaster. That proves once that you don't need a 4k HDR disc for a dynamic visual experience.

Exactly, my standard Blu-Ray looks great! It's really great to see this kinda treatment to any film, especially like this one that some of us marveled at in the theaters. I saw it in a theatrical reissue in the 60s.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching this film for the first time. Great looking picture. I was a little surprised by the aspect ratio- I thought by 1953 widescreen was the norm for theatrical releases.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Watching this film for the first time. Great looking picture. I was a little surprised by the aspect ratio- I thought by 1953 widescreen was the norm for theatrical releases.
It was just starting in '53. The Robe was released in September of that year. War of the Worlds came out in February.
And, CinemaScope was going to be a licensed product from Fox at the time. Paramount was not about to pay Fox to use it, going for their own VistaVision instead - which didn't premiere until '54 with "White Christmas".

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I was a little surprised by the aspect ratio- I thought by 1953 widescreen was the norm for theatrical releases.

There's a difference between "shown in widescreen" (which started in spring 1953, and initially included many films composed for 1.37) and "composed for widescreen" (which started in spring 1953, but those films weren't released until a few months later).

For much more about the transition to widescreen than anyone could possibly post here, look at these articles:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally watched this last night, and HOLY SMOKES! This film has never looked so good. I daresay that even if you saw this in the theater in 1953 in the best theater in the world in terms of picture and sound, it has never looked this good. Absolutely stunning.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And, CinemaScope was going to be a licensed product from Fox at the time. Paramount was not about to pay Fox to use it, going for their own VistaVision instead - which didn't premiere until '54 with "White Christmas".

Paramount started soft matting with Shane in April 1953. still two months after WOTW came out.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
SHANE premiered on April 23, 1953 at Radio City Music Hall and WAR OF THE WORLDS premiered domestically on July 29, 1953 at the Warner Theatre in Atlantic City.

The three-channel stereophonic sound was heard in quite a few theatres in 1953:

By January 1954, Altec had installed 750 stereophonic interlock systems throughout the country. When you add RCA, Motiograph and other equipment suppliers to the total, that's well over a thousand installations for 1953.

There's more info here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-stereophonic-sound

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wow. What a find. I've never even seen A blu ray at my local op-shop (which is what we call your 'thrift store', I guess).
The Google says yes ...
1611115667581.png

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I'm in a small rural town in the Latrobe Valley in eastern Vic. There are a number of op shops in my area (Vinnies, Salvos, Lifeline) which usually have several Blu Rays for sale quite cheaply - usually no more than $5 AUD. So far I've picked up quite a few including Shane, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Blazing Saddles.

Maybe a War of the Worlds Blu Ray will turn up one day. In the meantime I am glad I have the Special Collectors Edition Region 4 DVD - also found at a local op shop.

I suspect a lot of people don't have Blu Ray players or don't like old films - maybe that's why these Blu Ray titles are being dumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks