1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The War Lord (1965)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, May 28, 2006.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

One of the many films that Universal licensed out to Goodtimes back in the early days of DVD, was Franklin Schaffner's modestly budgeted ($3.5m) 1965 10th Century epic, starring Charlton Heston, The War Lord, based on Leslie Stevens' (The Outer Limits creator) play The Lovers. A terrific film, with excellent production design by Henry Bumstead and crisp cinematography by Russell Metty.

Goodtimes' DVD was authored from Universal's Laserdisc master and was non-anamorphic 2.35:1, but was generally okay. Universal has remastered many of those titles previously licensed to others, but quite a few are still awaiting a re-issue and The War Lord has to be near the top of the list - They Might Be Giants ($100-160 at Amazon's Used & New) is another (any word on that one, Robert Harris? RAH did a commentary on the DVD).

I'm surprised that Universal hasn't reissued this one, what with many of Heston's films being re-released as SEs recently. It's one of his best performances, I feel.

If Universal can remastered Halloween 3, then they can do the same for The War Lord, surely.

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    "The War Lord" was produced by Court Productions and only distributed by Universal. Perhaps Universal no longer has the rights to it.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Ah, I see. Tricky stuff.