The War DVD Borders $12.99...Read more....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Zender, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Nick Zender

Nick Zender Auditioning

Nov 2, 2001
    I debated on posting this but just had to give it a shot.
    This movie starring a young Elijah Wood and Kevin Costner was released in 1994 and for whatever reasons did not get the acclaim it deserved.
    I had it on VHS from a bargain bin and it became one of my top 5 movies of all time.
    When I seen the dvd was available at Borders and for only $12.99 I was thrilled but expected it would be just a slight improvement over my vhs copy.

I was wrong, the video and sound quality was awesome and especially the surround mix was right up to par with the newer releases.

The title is deceiving and only briefly has to do with war, but more lifes struggles, family values etc....

Everybody who has ever watched this movie at my house has bought a copy.
    Great for the whole family.
    I normally watch movies maybe twice but wath this one over and over and still enjoy it.
    This is a widescreen release by Univesal Dolby Digital 5.1 surround Anamorphic 1.85:1 Dual Layer 2hours and 6 minutes.
    Rated pg13 a few minor cuss words.
    All I can say is after getting the dvd I would have been willing to pay triple to have this.
    Just had to throw it out was a very Hot Deal for me...
    Nick Zender (Ape)
  2. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

Oct 18, 2002
    I fully agree with you! "The War" is a good movie. I like the picture and sound quality especially during the water tower scenes. Elijah Wood was my favorite child actor at that time. This is a good movie to watch on a cold winter night. You can almost feel the heat of the deep South.[​IMG]
  3. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Jan 27, 1999
    Thanks for the tip. I put it on next weeks order list. By the way, it's only $9.36 shipped from DeepDiscountDVD.

OOPS! ALARM BELLS GOING OFF. Laser's Edge says it's non-anamorphic. DVD Empire and Digital Eyes says it's 16X9 enhanced. Can you confirm which it is. I'm assuming from your orginal post that it is anamorphic and that it's Laser's Edge that's full of prunes. I don't buy non-anamorphic DVDs at any price.