What's new

The Wall: The Broadway Musical (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
It's about time. Roger Waters has been kicking around the idea of The Wall as a Broadway play for only, oh, about 20 years. Does this mean Gilmour gets a cut of the action, since he co-wrote a few of the songs? I bet Waters will love that.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Gilmour is entitled to royalties for the performance of the songs, the same as if a local cover band were to play Comfortably Numb in a Mexican restaurant. However, he wouldn't share in the box office take.

It's not a big deal. Both Gilmour and Waters have performed old Pink Floyd songs in concert and therefore had to pay each other royalties. And sometimes they play a really old song that invokes a royalty payment to Syd Barrett.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I already told my wife to expect a trip to NY if this even gets semi-decent reviews. Or maybe *crosses fingers* they'll try off Broadway shows here the way they did for Hairspray and a few others.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I read this yesterday. I wonder how well it could do. The film was never the most uplifting piece and was not the most well reviewed piece, although there are a lot of technical merits to the film. Luckilly it developed a cult audience. But I wonder how "laughs" are going to fit in. I can't see "The Wall" as a piece that would benefit from comic relief. It seems it would undermine the whole theme.

Also, I am reminded about a quote from Roger in the liner notes from the 20th anniversary live CD release of "The Wall" he said something to the effect of that the only productions he gives permission for are those put on by universities. I know in this case he will be involved with the show, but it seems a bit "going back on what he had said"

I will still be interested in seeing it. But not as much as if the band got together and did the live performance of it again.

JordanS

Second Unit
I also am a bit shocked Roger Waters sold the rights to whoever it was to turn this into a play...

What I'm waiting for is a DVD of "The Wall Live 1980-1981: Is There Anybody Out There." There was a petition to get signatures online a while back. I would pay a lot of money to get that official release with a ton of extra footage.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Just very recently I went back into old threads about this. The word is that apparently most of the footage filmed of the live performances is considered unusuable, whatever that means. Personally, I would be happy with anything no matter how bad it was, just as long as it was complete. Recently, I dug out my tape of the VH1 doc. of "Behind the Wall" it had some good footage of the performance, but it was such a tease. I am dying to see the whole thing someday.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Does The Wall really need to be re-incarnated in yet another form?

I know he's done other things, but why does Roger Waters feel the need to keep returning to this thing? Surely he doesn't need the money.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

Ask Pete Townsend that about Tommy. Movie, successful Broadway show, and the high rez releases. It's all about the money and no one is going to refuse it.

JordanS

Second Unit

Actually, that isn't correct. The video, according to Roger Waters, is being stored and possibly will be released for an anniversary release. I can definitely see Roger Waters doing something with it in 2009. This year is the 25th anniversary of the album; so we'll have to wait another 5 years probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks