The Wall Street Journal: The best becomes even better!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think no newspaper can match the WSJ for quality when it comes to overall writing and content. Sure, I like my Chicago Tribune and some love the NY Times, but the WSJ just seems to be more valuable for the accumulation of knowledge.

Today they made some major changes (for the first time in decades), including adding a few splashes of color. I think the changes are very nice and take nothing away from the paper's "seriousness." I like that they kept the dot-image pictures instead of using photographs to depict people.

Any other WSJ junkies out there?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I personally NEVER read the NY Times or the WSJ

I don't trust no paper without no comics

:BG:

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I wouldn't call myself a junkie, but I do have a subscription. I tend to spend more time with the New York Times, but given where I live, that's not surprising. The WSJ consistently runs some of the finest feature stories I've ever read.
    The new design will take some getting used to; I remember how strange it seemed when the Times started using color on the front page, and now it seems normal. Overall, though, I think they did a good job of mixing the traditional with the contemporary.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Brian,
    This is an excellent paper! I have read it EVERY DAY since I was 16 and gotten richer and wiser from it.
    And I like the editorial page that has done a great job uncovering hanky panky in the Clinton administration and with Congress - no wonder they win so many Pulitzers!
    Two Big Thumbs Up [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lee

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Very good newspaper. Wouldn't read the NY Slimes or the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation when I lived there.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Not only have they added color but the typeface has been changed very subtly. Much more easier to read now.

7. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

I read both the times and the journal, but avoid the op/ed section of the journal like the plague. Thankfully Fund is at least missing in action there.

8. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I heard a week or so ago that the WSJ was supposed to break a "huge story" this week... but I havent heard anything about it. Anyone know what it was?

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

10. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Thumbs up from me as well. The color is very pleasant to the eyes. Is the Personal Journal section a new section? I haven't noticed it before.

11. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Wow, they added a Personals section? That is quite a change!

12. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Marty:
    Not that kind of Personal section. It does not have personal classifieds. You will have to stick to computer dating. [​IMG] (Just Kidding)
    Carlos

13. Peter Kline

The New York Times won a lot of Pulitzer's this year. WSJ had one awarded. The Journal tends to be, er, rather right of center in its editorial policy. Also, not to its credit, it was dragged kicking and screaming to bring the Enron story to its readershp. They are a business journal and should have been on top of it from the begining. They were not. Spend too much time politicking in my opinion. Also many of their tech stories tend to be weeks if not months behind other publications. Still, the paper is invaluable for investors and those interested in the world of business.

14. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Peter,

From my understanding, the op/ed people are kept in their own area, completely separate from the mainstream news sections of the paper. There's precious little interaction between the two, which is why you end up with a fact filled story on the front page saying one thing and the editorial inside saying the complete opposite.

15. Peter Kline

Chris,

You're right of course. WSJ OpEd tends to be to the right (or father) while the news reporters - the ones that appear on tv, are journalists. I still enjoy the paper.