What's new

The Wall (1990) Coming to SACD! (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Note that this is Roger Waters' live performance of The Wall in Berlin in 1990 with guest musicians and singers. This is NOT the studio version of The Wall.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Not to be Picky but I want the REGULAR WALL not Cyndi Lauper or anyone else. And it better sound BETTER than IN THE FLESH. If we are going to get music we want.... give us music we want!!!:angry:

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I personally will take any!
I follow a particular artist for their style in music.
I do agree, The original Wall in SACD would also be a very nice addition to my collection at some point.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I dunno about this one........

Jerry Hall - :confused:

Has anyone heard this?

"Comfortably Numb" without David Gilmour is like kissin' your sister.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Has anyone heard this?
Yes, I have the original double cd. That was when I purchased anything related to PF. Now, I know better, I will not be spending any cash on this.
This sucks... Where is Pros and Cons of Hitchiking, Final Cut, Wish you were here, animals..etc,,, this tells me that maybe the band is not tooo together on whats being redone. Sorry about the rant.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Roger Waters "In the Flesh" is surely one of my most played SACDs, despite the slagging it got in some quarters. IMO, the worst you can say about it is that it sounds exactly like a big arena rock show. Those don't exactly boast the best acoustics, of course, but they are what they are. I didn't see this particular tour, but I did see the "Pros and Cons" one, and the character of the live sound--particularly the use of surrounds, which Waters had already begun incorporating back then--strikes me as very similar to this disc.

But I've never heard "the Berlin Wall". I think it's a great idea, and I like the notion of bringing in a variety of artists to perform it. On the other hand, these things don't always come off so well... I take it that this is one of those performances that never quite gels?

(I mean, we're not just ragging on the Scorpions and Cyndi Lauper for no good reason, are we? Do they really suck performing this material, or what?)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm underwhelmed by this release. I'm not Pink Floyd's biggest fan. I'd like to have the original Floyd album and MEDDLE my fav by them. I think I'd rather have the Percy Faith Strings Play Pink Floyd than this one...:D

JordanS

Second Unit
Al B. C

I totally agree. I am a huge Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fan, and "The Wall Live 1990" wasn't all that great in my opinion.

I would absolutely KILL for the DVD Release of the "The Wall Live: 1980-1981 Is There Anybody Out There." The version of Comfortably Numb is amazing; David Gilmour just goes crazy on the solo.

I will still pick up the new 1990 DVD and SACD though.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I would also like the studio version of The Wall and every other PF album as well, including the trippy early stuff. This is still very interesting and I will pick it up.

By the way, I put 1990 in parentheses to distinguish this from the studio version.

I think Roger may have some influence on the other albums coming out judging from this announcement...

:)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Count me out getting the Berlin show of The Wall; wasn't going to get it on DVD and won't be getting it on SACD. ANIMALS! WYWH! THE WALL! Any of the REAL titles.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Lee,

The album is called : The Wall Live In Berlin. I was at that concert! :)

Keep thinking McFly! I don't see why they should be released on SACD.. DVD Audio is musch better choise - and Roger Waters is not the only person who have the rights to all Pink Floyd albums. I wouldn't be suprise if we see them in DVD Audio format.

And finally, remember, we will see Dark Side Of The Moon on DVD Audio this autumn - with extra stuff and better sound. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And so begins the infection of yet another thread. Anybody besides the little troll think we can keep this from becoming yet another pointless SACD vs. DVD-A deathmatch?

I sure hope so.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well I guess the DSOTM success had an impact on Roger Waters. I think this confirms Sony's strategy to get bands on board by creating case studies of exclusive hybrid releases...
How you figure? This confirms nothing about Sony's "case studies". Unless you know Waters personally and he told you, "Lee, Sony showed me some case studies and blew me away" you are making a major mistatement and making Sony look bad at the same time. If you read your own link, you will see this is only scheduled as a European release. I guess the case studies say hybrids only fly overseas (look at Police, Gabriel for perfect examples of this), and us here in the US love single layer discs, or no discs at all (the case so far for this release).

Lee, are you out to bury Sony and my beloved SACD format by passing continual misinformation? Has the DVD-A forum hired you as a consultant? These are questions I have got to know.

As for this release I am all for the original Wall, but having heard this disc before on CD, it is nothing to get too excited about (sonically and from a content standpoint). That being said, if the price is right I would still pick it up, but seeing that it is a European only release it will probably set us here in the states back $50. Maybe they will announce it over here...or maybe not. We will have to wait and see.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
my beloved SACD format
Your actions clearly demonstrate you do not love the format. Otherwise, you would see the wisdom of "case studies": Sony releasing superstar albums in hybrid exclusively and then reporting big unit sales to others in the music business to attract even more titles.

But attack my thinking all you want...all that matters is that Sony's strategy is working and the consumer is benefiting.

As for European release, all the major sites will offer it as they do all the Channel Classics and others...

JordanS

Second Unit
I will still buy it anyways; I buy everthing in audio/video that is Floyd/Waters related.

It is strange watching someone else play guitar on The Wall, other than David Gilmour himself.

Snowy White does a good job though.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I saw Andy Fairweather Lowe on the "pros and cons" tour, and he did a bang-up job (though I wonder if he got bored essentially mimicking another guitarist's style and tone?).

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for the Floyd for pushing high resolution audio for all of us to hear. Really, I mean it. DSOTM might as well be the best multichannel release yet, and with In the Flesh and The Wall 1990, it seems someone out there knows people like what they hear.

That said, I find "The Wall 1990" to be a blatant attempt at explotation by Roger Waters. The concert, from what I read on "The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia" wasn't all what it was supposed to be. By 1990, the Scorpions, Cyndi Lauper, the baldheaded 8-Ball (God, how I love that line from SNL - Sinead O'Connor!!! :D), Bryan Adams, et al, were 2nd rate acts. I owned the album for about a year and gave it away. It can't be compared to the studio version, and is absolutely inferior in every aspect to the "Is there Anybody Out There? - The Wall Live" concert released in 2001.

What bothers me the most, though, is Roger Waters' hypocrisy... he always sang about hating singing in front of huge audiences, how money corrupted everything, etc., and there he was, in front of God knows how many people, playing in an arena. The same thing he did on the "In the Flesh" tour - huge arenas, lots of overpriced souvenirs from the tours, no interaction with the audience, etc.

Nevertheless, I'll have to buy that album just because it's Roger Waters, and because it's out there. Again,

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks