What's new

The Walking Dead - Season Two (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You don't have to be faster than the bear. . . . Shane: asshole or survivalist? Little from Column A/Column B? I think if he admitted to Rick what he did and that he did it for Carl, he would understand. But, we have the luxury of knowing about him and Lori, and that he was on the verge of killing Rick for her at one point.
I thought very briefly that he was bitten when he looked at his shoulder, but the opening sequence was on my mind, and when I saw we were catching back up to that point, I pretty much figured out what he had done.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/60#post_3865637
The second episode "Bloodletting" was very good. There is something dodgy about that farm and the vet. The bit in the woods with the zombie was unexpected. So far the quality is consistently good.
I agree. Power, hot water, not too many zombies around. At least they are willing to help.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Tony J Case said:
Yeah he was saving his own ass - but man, I'm not sure I would have done anything different if I were in the exact same situation.
Note to self: Never go into a zombie loaded school with Tony My first thought when I saw the top of his head was he got bit/scratched by the zombie in the gym window.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Adam Gregorich said:
I agree.  Power, hot water, not too many zombies around.  At least they are willing to help.
"I've made a deal that will keep the zombies out of our farm forever."
(opens the dining room doors; zombie are at the table wearing party hats)
"Braaaaaaaaaaains!"

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Speaking of budget cuts, those zombie night scenes save a bundle on makeup costs. The zombies behind the front row probably required no makeup other than blackened faces.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
And to be honest, they may have been more effective when it's just a blank mass of humanity.

Originally Posted by Garrett Adams /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/60#post_3865989
Speaking of budget cuts, those zombie night scenes save a bundle on makeup costs. The zombies behind the front row probably required no makeup other than blackened faces.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Tony J Case said:
Also did anyone notice that at first Shane told Otis to leave him behind - but Otis refused. If Shane was coming from pure self-survival, he would not have originally asked Otis to leave him.
Shane is a black and white, results oriented guy. He's very simple. Have a goal, reach the goal. He didn't shoot Otis because he wanted to survive. He shot him because he was trying to save Carl.
He wanted to save Carl and accomplish the mission - simple as that. He realized he was screwed early on and told Otis to leave him behind. Motive: accomplish the mission and save Carl.
Running from a zombie pack and losing...solution? Shoot Otis and outrun the feasting pack. Goal accomplished. Unfortunately, this one will leave a mark on Shane's soul as we can see from the glare he gives himself in the mirror.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
Shane is a black and white, results oriented guy. He's very simple. Have a goal, reach the goal. He didn't shoot Otis because he wanted to survive. He shot him because he was trying to save Carl.
I find impossible to think that self-preservation didn't play the biggest part in it. Like I said, he'll rationalize his actions by saying that he did it to save Carl but he murdered Otis to save his own ass and saving Carl will be a happy by-product. Even though it's easy to see how anyone would be terrified enough to do the same thing in Shane's position, he's becoming unhinged and he's self-centered enough to use force to get what he wants. Keep in mind that last year, Shane was about to shoot Rick because he had taken over his role as the group's leader and he tried to force Lori to have sex with him after Rick had returned (maybe in the CDC?).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Actually...I've been thinking more about it...
I still think Shane is a results oriented guy, I just hadn't devolved myself to his level. Yes, the result compelling him was saving Carl; but, I now think that his ULTIMATE goal is still to get Lori back! And, the moment she gives him was him winning in spades.
What a bastard.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
For those of us who haven't read the comics, could those "wow, he's living longer than he did in the comics and vice-versa" comments be done in marked spoiler text? Thanks.
Yes, even though the show is clearly a different version of the story (e.g. I read that they didn't go to the CDC in the comics [or at least not at that point], but couldn't resist doing so in the show), please don't tell us about deaths and such. We do know from plenty of shows that the availability of actors can completely change what happens to their characters. We also know from other shows that even though a character might have been written in as a one-time or three-episode appearance, the actor might have been so compelling that they decided to keep his character on for the rest of series. So, anything can happen, but we still don't want possible spoilers.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
Yes, even though the show is clearly a different version of the story (e.g. I read that they didn't go to the CDC in the comics [or at least not at that point], but couldn't resist doing so in the show), please don't tell us about deaths and such. We do know from plenty of shows that the availability of actors can completely change what happens to their characters. We also know from other shows that even though a character might have been written in as a one-time or three-episode appearance, the actor might have been so compelling that they decided to keep his character on for the rest of series. So, anything can happen, but we still don't want possible spoilers.
Besides some of us might want to read the comics after the episodes (or in my case. the end of the season) and catch up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No more comics talk from me without a big old spoiler box. Sorry to anybody that was spoiled. The two bits in question happened very early in both the show's chronology and the comics' chronology, so I didn't even think about it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
To me, the most interesting part of this show, as well as the graphic novels, is in exactly HOW the main characters survive. We all like to put ourselves in that "what if?" scenario, and see what we would do.
The last episode was very good, but I was always questioning things. Like the fresh bread, the OJ, the windows. Hell, all they closed was the SCREEN DOOR everytime somebody came in/went out. It's things like that that take me out of a potentially-tense scenario. I would expect them to have their own Dale -- a person on the roof of the farmhouse at all times keeping watch.
Hell, even a patrol to go out every hour or so just to check the grounds. Again, this is me putting myself in that scenario. I don't know if the characters on the show are just that carefree, or if the writers/producers just missed those little details.
I've thought way too hard about this. And close the fucking front door, you assholes!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that the Greene family's complacency will come into play as the season goes on. They're in a rural, sparsely populated area so they haven't experienced what our survivors have in Atlanta. Presumably as these packs of zombies pour out of the cities, that will change in a violent messy way.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
We've seen them "eating" people way past the point of just trying to spread the infection (when the people are basically just a jumble of body parts). It looks to me like they're eating because they still need nourishment. That would also explain why the cut up zombie had a small animal in its stomach.
They feed out of instinct. Something in their brain is saying "hunger", and they act on that. Zombies will still "feed" even if they don't have any stomaches left in their abdomen. Hell, they don't even have to have much of their torso left, they'll still try to "feed". It's just an instinct.
They're not "trying" to spread the infection by biting, that's just the way it works.
Not that the infectious agent has any sort of "humanized intent", but just to put it in those types of terms: it's more like the virus is trying to spread by causing hunger, which causes the undead to be driven to feed, which leads to healthy people getting bitten, which leads to transmission. And the cycle repeats.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
A nitpick, if you will:
While Glenn is far superior in terms of being able to rope the waterzombie while screaming aloud in terror, Lori would have weighed far less, and put much less strain on the rope. Because she's scarily-thin and sticklike. Y U Discriminate against the Asian, The Walking Dead?
And SCORE Glenn! But please, use a condom, and I hope you shut the door to the place when you came in. So no (zombie-) bites. Was it me, or did he look at her like he'd never seen boobs before? Even pizza-boys get laid, don't they?
So, who's taking bets, thanks to the preview, that...
Merle has Sophia, and is holding her captive/hostage?
Can't believe how nonchalantly AMC blew that plot-point in the promo. Imagine what a superteam Sophia and Daryl would be!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
And SCORE Glenn! But please, use a condom, and I hope you shut the door to the place when you came in.
They did lock the door. The whole time I was waiting for zombies to come up and eat the horses like they did in downtown Atlanta.
Merle has Sophia, and is holding her captive/hostage?
Can't believe how nonchalantly AMC blew that plot-point in the promo. Imagine what a superteam Sophia and Daryl would be!
The Meryl scene is inside Daryl's head, taunting him as he hunts solo for Sophia. Mainly because it seems weird that Meryl would randomly show up in the middle of the forest dozens to hundreds of miles from the city where he was last seen. Especially when a 12-year-old girl who had maybe a ten-minute head start on her search party could vanish into thin air.
The shot of Sophia's doll in the stream bed leads me to believe she's either alive or was alive until very recently. The fact that only three days have passed over the course of the season so far makes finding her alive more plausible.
I liked the house with the eaten can of food. It leaves open the possibility that Sophia stopped there and ate, while the undisturbed blankets in the closet imply otherwise.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Adam Lenhardt said:
I liked the house with the eaten can of food. It leaves open the possibility that Sophia stopped there and ate, while the undisturbed blankets in the closet imply otherwise.
I took that shot to show the pillow and blanket were her bed on the floor and she had been sleeping in the closet but wasn't there right now or had moved on.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Adam Lenhardt said:
The Meryl scene is inside Daryl's head, taunting him as he hunts solo for Sophia. Mainly because it seems weird that Meryl would randomly show up in the middle of the forest dozens to hundreds of miles from the city where he was last seen. Especially when a 12-year-old girl who had maybe a ten-minute head start on her search party could vanish into thin air.
The shot of Sophia's doll in the stream bed leads me to believe she's either alive or was alive until very recently. The fact that only three days have passed over the course of the season so far makes finding her alive more plausible.
This was another, "The-first-half-was-awesome!" episode.The sense of spinning wheels was very, very strong last night. The entire well-zombie escapade, while entertaining, went exactly nowhere. Half the show literally wasted on action that did nothing to advance the plot, or deepen character development. I guess I can't technically say Daryl's solo-search was a waste of time, since he found evidence of someone living there, but still.
Is it just me, or are Shane and Rick trying to out-rasp each other? I couldn't make out the final half of Shane's monologue. Look for a guest appearance by Christian Bale later this season, as well as a turn by Tom Waits as the proprietor of an abandoned strip-club.
(Also -- the most dramatic pissing-in-a-field scene ever?)
Finally...Shane in Otis's clothing was HILARIOUS. Seriously hilarious. I could not stop laughing during the memorial service, because Shane looked like a brain-damaged hillbilly confused by sunlight and words.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
I took that shot to show the pillow and blanket were her bed on the floor and she had been sleeping in the closet but wasn't there right now or had moved on.
After seeing your post, I went back and re-watched the scene and you're absolutely right. I totally misread the scene the first time through.
Aside from sleeping in a closet being smart when your only cover is a long abandoned house with missing windows and shoddy doors, it further points towards the occupant being Sophia because only a smallish person could sleep comfortably in such a small space.
A part of me is antsy all week waiting for the latest serial installment of this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks