What's new

The Walking Dead - Season Two (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quentin said:
"Redneck Legolas".
Damn, dude...that's a keeper. :D
Actually, as much as I'd love to take full credit for it, the name was coined by one of our very own HTF'ers in this very forum, in last year's Walking Dead thread (can't recall which one, specifically, right off the top of my head).:D
The meth-appearance was cool as hell, but now I want an appearance by ACTUAL ZOMBIE Two-Face Gus. I'm thinking he attacks Andrea in the woods, she falls back horrified, but then zombie Gus's tie gets caught in a nearby woodchipper, and he gets sucked in, or something.
(Also, I want a one-handed-Rooker cameo on Breaking Bad. Quid pro quo, AMC.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kevin Hewell came up with "Redneck Legolas."
Complaints about the premiere WRT cuts forced on Darabont is more evidence that the internet is why we can't have nice things. I didn't know there was an issue, so I just enjoyed it. Not that it was above criticism, but I bet most people who didn't know anything about that just had a good time.
When Maggie said, "Where is your wife?" did anyone else yell, "She's with Glenn!" :cool: I almost think they should have referred to her by name and shown her for the first time on screen when she played roamer baseball. That was a bad ass entrance.
For anyone worried about reading the comics before watching the show, I'll say we're in familiar territory but there is still a lot that is different. I don't know all of the characters' fates at any one moment.
I like how this show, like the comic, plays on our expectations. I figured the shooter would be some drunk redneck asshole, but he's a decent guy who just had a horrible accident.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
a130e103_WDT-Top-4-Day-4-Final-Daryl.jpeg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I like how this show, like the comic, plays on our expectations. I figured the shooter would be some drunk redneck asshole, but he's a decent guy who just had a horrible accident.
Yeah, I expected a whining hick stereotype too. Nice to see them go a more realistic (and hence more interesting) direction. Plus, having an excellent character actor like Pruitt Taylor Vince in the role will elevate it.
I liked the show last year but wasn't the fan that many other folks were. However, this year is a major improvement.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I like the foreshadowing, from season 1, when Dale encountered Shane in the woods, sighting in on Rick with his rifle, and Shane came up with a lame line about they all should be wearing international orange.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
joshEH said:
I certainly don't think the characters are a waste by any means, though it depends on the episode in question. I thought this was a stronger installment than the season opener, but I think some of that was because it was shorter. I also think the episode was helped tremendously by the guest stars.
The writing for the show is odd. They seem to cut away just when things get interesting, as if they have no idea how to finish or follow through. The conversation between T-Dog and DeMunn's character, for instance -- I liked that it was essentially a metawink at black characters being peripheral, but felt like it was cut short and left hanging.
That said, the interactions between Shane and Rick were tremendous. Excellent acting, solid writing. Shane, especially, managed to evoke his contradictory feelings and loyalties, with just body language and tone of voice. A lot to like, here. Overall, this episode just felt tighter. Rick and Shane were great this week, and I'm finally buying these two as best-buddies.
The rest of the character work has been fairly shaky (I realize it's trite to complain about something like Glenn's lack of character development and functionality at this point in the season; shows like LOST did this sort of thing on a regular basis), but if the Rick-and-Shane stuff stays strong, I'll be fine with it.
Also:
71fab2a3_2101367864LL.jpeg

...Bullseye, bitches.
Merle's Bag O' Goodies -- some Pollos Hermanos crystal, some ecstasy, some killer pain-pills, and some antibiotics for the clap.
Hope he got that at the Gus Fring going out of Business sale.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/30#post_3863540
Nitpick of the day:
They shot the Andrea attack-scene really, really weirdly. I've seen someone else refer to it looking like a "Lifetime movie rape-scene." And the zombie, while a zombie, looked like he was black. Maybe my "WTF Women Portrayed in Genre Stuff??" radar is out and up, but that was a weirdly-shot scene. Weirdly suggestive. What the hell, show?
19e5ae6b_350x199px-LL-a5f4d47e_hVkor.gif

What I liked about that scene is there was no warning. In movies and TV, we get audible cues when things are about to happen. It's OK, we live with it. But in reali life, there are no audible cues. One second you're walking through a forest, and the next there's a zombie you hadn't noticed a few feet away from you. And yes, even with the crunching of forest floor branches, you might not hear it because of other people and your own crunching branches. This was realistic without going overboard (the tight shot on the inside of a car when suddenly -- BLAM! -- there's a car accident).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Just for fun, I found copies of the Walking Dead talk show for the first episode. I was hoping they'd be kind of cool behind the sceens bits like the awesome (and dearly departed) Doctor Who Confidential.
. . . . what a fucking waste of time. A "comedian" I've never heard of making lame jokes about Occupy Meat Street and the writer from a completely unrelated movie. What the fuck? It got vaguely more interesting when they brought the comic book writer on, but it was still a load of boring pointless shit.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
^ My favorite part about that show is that the host is clearly aware of what a piece of crap it is, and is struggling not to smirk at the enterprise through the entire running time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I watched Talking Dead just because Kirkman clarified that The Walking Dead universe doesn't have zombie movies so the characters have no touchstone for what is happening. I always just assumed that the worlds of the comic book and TV show were identical to ours... except for the zombies.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think he's mentioned that in lettercols (though, I don't know if you've read every issue in single form, or some trades that don't have them). It seems a little silly, but I don't mind if it lets him get away from the post-modern self-referential stuff like Scream. It would be funny if they had the old, voodoo-style zombie movies, though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I think he's mentioned that in lettercols (though, I don't know if you've read every issue in single form, or some trades that don't have them). It seems a little silly, but I don't mind if it lets him get away from the post-modern self-referential stuff like Scream. It would be funny if they had the old, voodoo-style zombie movies, though.
I only started reading the book monthly about 2 years ago so it could have been mentioned before my time or my memory is worse than I realize. I was always curious as to why no one mentioned taking the Dawn Of The Dead approach to survival and live in or at least raid a suburban mall. The more I think about it, I love not having zombies in the pop culture of The Walking Dead universe because it makes what's happening even more terrifying and unknown to the characters.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The second episode "Bloodletting" was very good. There is something dodgy about that farm and the vet. The bit in the woods with the zombie was unexpected. So far the quality is consistently good.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's amazing. Very little happens plot-wise in each episode, but I'm sitting at the edge of my seat the entire hour. This show does suspense incredibly well.
I like that the show's playing with the diversions with the comic; because Shane's survived longer than in the comic, Otis dies sooner than in the comic. And clearly, Shane has come unhinged. Maybe he's becoming what you need to become to survive in this world, or maybe he's just a psychopath. Either way, throwing Otis to the dogs like that was harsh to the extreme.
Interesting that the Sophia hunt is being dragged out as long as it has. I figured she'd have been found by now, either alive and healthy or dead and/or undead. Maybe they just couldn't afford Madison Lintz and Pruitt Taylor Vince at the same time with the budget cuts. I can't imagine a kid costs too much, though.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I like that the show's playing with the diversions with the comic; because Shane's survived longer than in the comic, Otis dies sooner than in the comic. And clearly, Shane has come unhinged. Maybe he's becoming what you need to become to survive in this world, or maybe he's just a psychopath. Either way, throwing Otis to the dogs like that was harsh to the extreme.
Harsh - but man, I can not dispute the logic. If Shane had not turned Otis into a hot lunch buffet, then odds were very, very, very good that both will die (and then, by extension The Kid dies too). Three lives or one? It's a hard call - but I can't see any other way around it.
Of course one has to wonder - how premeditated it was?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Was I the only one when you saw the mark on his shoulder and then a clump of hair missing that thought: "Wait, did he get bit? Is he turning?"

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/60#post_3865692
It's amazing. Very little happens plot-wise in each episode, but I'm sitting at the edge of my seat the entire hour. This show does suspense incredibly well.
Interesting that the Sophia hunt is being dragged out as long as it has. I figured she'd have been found by now, either alive and healthy or dead and/or undead. Maybe they just couldn't afford Madison Lintz and Pruitt Taylor Vince at the same time with the budget cuts. I can't imagine a kid costs too much, though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those of us who haven't read the comics, could those "wow, he's living longer than he did in the comics and vice-versa" comments be done in marked spoiler text? Thanks.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think it was a spur of the moment type of thing. I also think that the motivating factor was self-preservation but he'll try to tell himself that he did it to save Carl as well.
Yeah he was saving his own ass - but man, I'm not sure I would have done anything different if I were in the exact same situation.
I'm with a stranger I've known - what, less than three hours? Emotions are running high, even for a high stress situation like a Global Zombie apocalypse (my best friends son is dieing, here's the guy who did it - and then you add in the every day stress of a hundred hungry ghouls chasing me down). And they don't have time to debate the issue - and if you DO bring it up, Otis would be on guard for you throwing him under the bus and your window of opportunity would close. And then you add in the powerful human survival instinct, the 'its either me or him'. . . .
Mind you, I'm not saying it was the right decision or a good decision - but it's a totally understandable decision.
Also did anyone notice that at first Shane told Otis to leave him behind - but Otis refused. If Shane was coming from pure self-survival, he would not have originally asked Otis to leave him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks