What's new

The Walking Dead - Season Two (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Travis, when I saw the preview for your post, I could just see, "If they change locations every season, they'll be ahead of." I thought you were going to say, "If they change locations every season, they'll be ahead of every other TV show, which very rarely have major location changes." I was going to say, "Don't come at me with logic when I'm on a rant." :P
Jon, I've seen an interesting theory that Daryl is basically taking on a lot of Tyreese's storylines. Now, I don't have the kind of memory to remember comic books I read four years ago, but Carol adhering herself to Daryl was one of the examples and I do remember that one. I just hope we get to see Daryl in a room by himself. Now that one, any reader of the comic knows what I mean.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would love a season with them on the road, with a new camp just about every episode. I think the real heart of the show is them on the road, because the nature of the world they live in means no permanent homes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Oh, one other quibble - why in the hell did they not have a rendezvous point set up in case of disaster? Sure they has the Breakdown Spot and it just so happened that they all wound up there (mostly) - but it was by pure chance. They should have had a clearly stated policy in place: "If we are forced to evacuate, we will regroup at the Breakdown Spot. 24 hours after that - depending on how safe the per-chosen location is - we will then proceed south towards McGuffinville on highway 2. . . ."
Come on, that's just basic crisis planning. Hell, even me and my mother have something very basic in place, and we're not beset by zombies every day!
On a slightly different note: now that we're two seasons into the show, I think I'm going to check out some of the graphic novels from the library. How far is it safe to read before I get to where we are now? What issue number should I stop with?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Brook K said:
I can only hope that S3 punches aren't pulled the way they were with Shane's death.
How so? Keep in mind I haven't read the comics.
I've enjoyed this season, but I do agree with a lot of the complaints in this thread. The Shane and Rick stuff was just spinning it wheels for a lot of the season. We kept revisiting the same issues over and over again. I also hated that they killed off Dale.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Shane in the comics:
Shane had Rick in his sights and was about to kill him to keep Lori and Carl for himself. Rick was oblivious. Carl saved his life by shooting and killing Shane. They buried him. Later on, Carl is terrified that Shane is going to come back and get him (I think, this part is spotty memory time), so Rick goes all the way back to where he buried Shane, digs him up, and shoots him in the head.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
DavidJ said:
I also hated that they killed off Dale.
The Dale-killing was actually done at the actor's request -- basically, Jeffrey DeMunn asked to be released from his contract as a show of loyalty to Frank Darabont following the latter's firing this past year, and the network obliged.
Later, however, DeMunn came to regret the decision, and asked to have his character's death reversed, but the scripts in question were already in the production-pipeline, and it was too late to do anything about it without severely impacting the show, via shoot-slowing rewrites, etc.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
joshEH said:
The Dale-killing was actually done at the actor's request -- basically, Jeffrey DeMunn asked to be released from his contract as a show of loyalty to Frank Darabont following the latter's firing this past year, and the network obliged.
Later, however, DeMunn came to regret the decision, and asked to have his character's death reversed, but the scripts in question were already in the production-pipeline, and it was too late to do anything about it without severely impacting the show, via shoot-slowing rewrites, etc.
They should have recast Dale.
ada01f4a_nick-nolte-mugshot.jpeg

Now that's a Dale who'd get freeky with Andrea.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The penultimate episode of the second season was on the whole excellent. The ending, and the choice of music played from the point of when Shane in the field appeared from off-camera, to when the group of zombies gradually emerged out of the woods, was done very well. The promo for the season finale looks great and I can not wait to see this.

There was an average quality to the episodes earlier in the season, but the episodes have been mostly great stuff since the second season resumed. The cinematography, especially at the beginning of the episode, was brilliant.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's amazing how much he looks like the dramatic chipmunk in that photo.
That's effing funny.
He saw Shane targeting Rick, so he'd probably find it inevitable. But, he'd join with Lori in beating Rick up over it just for the hell of it. Maybe Lori would have left Rick for Dale at that point. "I can't believe your husband killed that nice Shane." "I know, right? Let's go back to your RV and 'discuss' it." "Let me clean off the Jimmy first." "Oh, Dale!"

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/420#post_3908357
f8aed7f5_570718.jpeg

Best line of the night went to Daryl: "I could tell it was an Asian driving." THAT'S the white-supremacist Daryl we all know and love.
Second-best line actually went to Hershel, of all people: "Jesus promised us the resurrection of the dead. I just...I thought he had something a little different in mind."
Both of these were hysterical. I personally found the resurrection one a bit more funny maybe because Hershel hasn't shown much humor. I was still laughing about it today.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony J Case /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/420#post_3908467
How far is it safe to read before I get to where we are now? What issue number should I stop with?
They reach the prison fairly early in the comics, around issue 12 / TPB #2 "Miles Behind Us". They dont leave the prison until issue 48 / TPB#8 "Made To Suffer".

If you want to read the prison and Governor stories ahead of time, read up to TPB #8. If you dont want that to be spoiled, you pretty much have to stop at TPB #2. Its hard to say exactly, because in the comics, they find the prison before the farm is over run.

They really stretched The Farm storyline, although it TWD reality time, they really werent there that long.

Wow. Looking that up and flipping through the comics, I forgot about Thomas. Thomas, the Governor - will be interesting to see how they adapt this stuff.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I am also curious to see how they bring the govenor in. There are some pretty graphic things that happen to a few characters because of the govenor and I will be interested in seeing what direction they go with those story lines.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
ScottH said:
Enjoyed the finale, although it was frustrating at times. I don't understand why Lori was so upset Rick killed Shane. And I really don't understand why Rick withheld that information about everyone carrying the "virus". There was absolutely no reason to other than for the writers to get some cheap drama out of it.
I think that Lori was more upset with herself and her own guilt than with Rick.
About everyone carrying the virus - I was wondering about the two people killed in the bar. Was there just not enough time to see them rise? I didn't think they were shot in the brains.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Disagree about Rick withholding Jenner's secret -- as they pointed out after the show, what possible good could it have done everyone to know that they were hopelessly infected by that point? Sure, you could tell them and let them work it out of their systems, but the end result would've still been the same.
Also, there was the whole issue of Jenner's own (questionable) sanity -- as Mazzara and Kirkman noted, it wasn't until he saw Shane rise up after getting stabbed to death that it was finally confirmed once and for all for him. Prior to that moment, Rick wasn't 100% certain Jenner's info could be trusted.
Plus, you could tell that Rick partly let it "slip" as a frustrated "fuck-you" to the group, who were quickly becoming an annoyance to him. Frankly, it felt like the petty little type of emotional-payback thing I'd do, were I in his shoes right then. If things hadn't turned out quite how they did, he might've sat on the secret forever.
Then again, Rick might have been served better with the reveal had he just used his tried-and-true "Love, Actually" method instead:
16fef46f_350x258px-LL-4777a37a_LA2.jpeg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Rick's losing it, man. Now he's channeling INXS."
"I thought it was Bob Dylan."
"It's Love, Actually, you already infected dumbfucks! Now sit down and enjoy the Ricktatorship*, bitches!"
* - awesome word coined by Kirkman, I believe

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Disagree about Rick withholding Jenner's secret -- as they pointed out after the show, what possible good could it have done everyone to know that they were hopelessly infected by that point?
I can understand how people wouldn't be all that happy that Rick decided to keep the info to himself but I can see Rick's side too. If I was in the situation, I'd want Rick to share everything he knows immediately but at the same point, it's not like his keeping it to himself could have stopped me from being infected. Since it's completely out of my hands, what's the difference if he waited a couple weeks to verifiy the info or if he immediately told me the possibly incorrect information from a lunatic?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/450#post_3908891
Disagree about Rick withholding Jenner's secret -- as they pointed out after the show, what possible good could it have done everyone to know that they were hopelessly infected by that point? Sure, you could tell them and let them work it out of their systems, but the end result would've still been the same.
Also, there was the whole issue of Jenner's own (questionable) sanity -- as Mazzara and Kirkman noted, it wasn't until he saw Shane rise up after getting stabbed to death that it was finally confirmed once and for all for him. Prior to that moment, Rick wasn't 100% certain Jenner's info could be trusted.
I agree with you Josh. I would have taken everything Jenner said with a grain of salt. It wasn't until Shane came back that he new for sure. Everyone had enough to worry about why bother telling them about something it seems like he didn't belive. He didn't appear to be in a big hurry to verify the guys he shot in the bar didn't turn to zombies, which tells me he didn't believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks