1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead - Season 9

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I was wondering where I had seen the Redhead on the pike before, thanks for reminding me about Negan's wife. I'm guessing I'm one of the few sorry to see Tara leave. I liked her.

TravisR likes this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Never have I been more aware of the fact that this is a Southern show then when one snowstorm paralyzes everything.

If this were set in the Northeast, there wouldn't be a single community that didn't have working fireplaces in every building, given the unreliability of electricity.

The most remarkable part of this episode was that Negan had an honest conversation with another adult, and I actually believed that it was something he would do.

TravisR likes this.
  3. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    This was the most underwhelming season finale, of any show, ever! Yet another time jump (yeah, only a few months this time) where things obviously happened without them telling us what happened, just vague references. What happened to the kingdom? What is this “fall” that happened?

Chad Erickson and Sam Posten like this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This is my biggest question. We knew the kingdom was running out of parts and supplies necessary to keep it going, but the fair was supposed to address that. Yes, several people died, but the fair (and the trade that came with it) still happened, so ostensibly the Kingdom's supply issues should have lessened.

We saw some of the mechanical systems fail, which I guess would take running water, electricity, and/or heat out of the equation. But they should still have been able to hunker down in the handful of places that had working fireplaces, like Alexandria did. But the wide shot as they were abandoning the Kingdom showed evidence that many of the buildings had been extensively burned, with the roofs caving in on some of them.

To take us from the fair to here, we needed more as audience members.

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I live a good 2 hours north of the assumed location of this show (Northern VA area?) and have never seen blizzard conditions like that. You'd think they were in Siberia.

So Judith runs off by herself and Negan is the only one that goes after her? Really?

6. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    I still think that Negan has been wasted this season! In the comics he had been incarcerated for about a year or more before he escapes and takes the fight to the Whisperers! but here he's just enjoying the stone floor and bed of his cell for the last five or six years!
    JB

7. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

This was a frustrating season finale. Last week's episode was called 'The Calm Before' and this week was called 'The Storm'. This implied to me this would be a big episode, not about... a storm.

I'm glad everyone else was confused about this so-called fall of the Kingdom. I was thinking the deaths from last week caused people to believe the Kingdom was unsafe and it was abandoned, but I couldn't recall anything like that from last week.

So we had a six year time jump and they're all acting like this is the first time winter has arrived or there's been severe weather. It seemed to me, also, that it would have been safer to stay indoors and weather the storm, then going out in it and walking i don't know how many miles.

I like the show, and I think it's gained some ground over the overlong Negan thing, but some of the editing and storytelling decisions are strictly amateur.

johnnybear likes this.
  8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm even further up and I've never seen anything like that either. However, since the world has become deindustrialized, it would probably would result in weather that's different than what we see now.

You guys are right that they should have given more info but I just assumed that Ezekiel and Carol didn't want to stay there any more after Henry's death and everyone else agreed to move to another place as well. Between the existing problems and the 'ghosts', they all just said screw it and left.

9. johnnybear

John
    They were stupid to leave the Kingdom especially that it was a safe haven against the monsters and the elements! Now if they're joining the Hilltop and Alexandria it's going to cause some grief to the inhabitants of both communities!
    JB

10. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I found I could skip 6 episodes to the last two and my son and I didn't miss a thing. It's also by nature of being a cynical old coot that I watched the storm episode and, since the drama was somewhat completely irrational (they go out in the worst part of the blizzard, meanwhile it's lush and green leaves where the whisperer queen is), I found myself just thinking... "Man, some poor schmuck of a production assistant is going to have to clean up all those soap flakes used to pretend there is actually snow."

I liked the idea of using snow as another medium to deal with zombies. The point where Darryl cut of the head of a frozen zombie, I kept flashing on the White Walkers and the Night King. But, come on, folks, we all know snow and this stuff was nothing like it, and they didn't want to spend all the extra money inserting CGI frost breaths. It just didn't make much sense, and it was way too fake to convey any sense of reality. GOT uses fake snow in Winterfell, but we give it a pass because it's an integral part of the story and, hey, they did shoot real ice in Iceland for many episodes. But please, TWD, don't go there.

Another burp from my cynical production savvy brain, was telling my son in the "Before the Storm" episode featuring mucho cast members, "Man, this cast is way too big to financially sustain on a show that once had 18 million viewers and is now down to less than 4 million." The longer you're on the show, the more they usually have to pay you. And then... cut to the scene where about nine cast members are gone. Problem solved. At this point, Norman Reedus (sp?) has to be getting the lion's share of the salary, so by introducing new characters around him, you reduce everyone else to starting salaries again.

I still enjoying watching this with my college son, but he's even more of a cynic about it than I am at this point. I love just laughing at the self-importance and ridiculousness of it together, but he used to take it more seriously, and just kept saying... please bring on "Game of Thrones." I predict at least 30 million for that on opening night. And most will have to watch it live to stay in the loop and avoid spoilers.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

On HBO?! Even with people stealing it online, the numbers won't be that good. I imagine that HBO will be ecstatic if they get 15 million.

12. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    They had 30 million on the last episode of Season Seven, but that probably includes delayed watching, not live at 9.

TravisR likes this.
  13. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    My assumption was that they skipped ahead to the spring...

14. johnnybear

John
    The final scene was definitely set some time in the future but my main question is, if the Alexandrians, The Hill toppers and the Kingdomers were having such a bad time of the snow then just how did the Whisperers survive?
    JB

15. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    https://comicbook.com/2019/04/10/the-walking-dead-time-jump-season-9-10/

"She was probably barely pregnant at the time of the death," Kang said." And, then, we jumped forward to [where] she's quite a bit pregnant. Between that and seeing the Whisperers, there's probably been a passage of a bit of time, but really what we wanted to imply was [that the Whisperers] are a migratory group. And, so, they may have gone South for the winter. They're not even in the same space, but there probably has been a little bit of time that's passed. But, we're not talking about a matter of a huge time jump."

16. johnnybear

John
    If they move south for the winter then why the need for their borders?
    JB

17. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I just watched the finale. If the dead freeze solid in the winter, there must be entire areas of the world where they have been eliminated. We don’t get malaria in Canada, because all the mosquitos die in the winter for instance. Are the characters in this story making a mistake living so far south?

johnnybear likes this.
  18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

From the whisperers' POV, they want to show their power so they insist on a border even when they won't be around for a few months. From the group's POV, they're sticking to the Whisperer's border so they don't have more people get butchered.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I think Canada probably fared better than most of the United States, not only because it's colder but because its far less densely populated. If you're living in the northern territories especially, you probably had a pretty good shot of avoiding the initial plague that zombified so many people in the early days. And then of those who did die and turn, the number of zombies you encounter are going to be a lot more manageable. The biggest challenge would be surviving without the supply chains from the more populated areas for food, fuel, etc.

20. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    This must be true of vast areas of the world.