What's new

The Walking Dead - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, Michonne's reason for banning outsiders from Alexandria and abandoning her grand plan for confederation between the communities was certainly suitably horrific.

The young actresses playing Judith and Lydia are the best child actors this show has ever had. It's amazing to me that the same show that gives us Judith Grimes -- the first child we've seen who has spent her entire life living in the zombie apocalypse, who is fully aware of the horrors of this world, but makes a well thought out choice to be idealistic anyway -- also gives us Henry, naive and impulsive moron.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The editing of this show continues to baffle me (really, this is the most poorly edited show in the history of television). I think it took me half of the episode until I realized exactly what the time shift was. Apparently they don't even know how to edit in the commercials as there was a commercial break literally less than a minute after the first break after the opening credits. It took me a good 10 seconds before I realized the Levi's commercial with people dancing to a vinyl record was indeed a commercial.

Still wish Michonne would go away but at least we got a 3 minute scene with Negan (which as usual was the best part of the episode).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Did you know you can skip four episodes and not miss anything?

And yes, they could have employed the FTWD device and differentiate time periods by color or color desaturization to make it more comprehensible (pregnant or not pregnant was not always obvious).

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And yes, they could have employed the FOTWD device and differentiate time periods by color or color desaturization to make it more comprehensible (pregnant or not pregnant was not always obvious).
They actually did use a yellow filter to differentiate the past scenes from the present scenes, but it was more subtle than what "Fear the Walking Dead" did last season.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The editing of this show continues to baffle me (really, this is the most poorly edited show in the history of television). I think it took me half of the episode until I realized exactly what the time shift was. Apparently they don't even know how to edit in the commercials as there was a commercial break literally less than a minute after the first break after the opening credits. It took me a good 10 seconds before I realized the Levi's commercial with people dancing to a vinyl record was indeed a commercial.

Still wish Michonne would go away but at least we got a 3 minute scene with Negan (which as usual was the best part of the episode).
If I could like this post 10 times I would. What a Charley Foxtrot of an episode. Seemed like a meandering mess at times...

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I've seen a lot of complaints that people had their DVRs cut off early because the extended running time of this episode wasn't in the schedule. Glad I watched it "live".

That was some death toll. I thought Ezekiel's head might have been the last one revealed. I wasn't too heartbroken to see who it was.

Good episode, but again, not a fan of all the time-skip editing.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
That is why I add 30 minutes to the taping schedule of this show and ST Discovery. Many shows now run over their allotted time. Even “The Good Fight” and “Brooklyn 99” often will end during their final sceens if you don’t schedule 5 minutes extra.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah my DVR cut off and with the way it stopped I actually thought it was the end of the episode until I saw some recaps about it this morning.

Can't say I'm upset about any of the people killed off and very glad to have Tara and Henry gone.

I won't get into the ridiculousness of how Alpha got all those people out of there without being noticed. Maybe she offered them a better movie choice?

Who was the whisperer that Alpha killed in that one scene? Was it just some random that she killed because he saw her cry?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good ending. More like this
The thing that made it work for me is that people's habits are changing. The way they react to carnage and adversity is changing. The communities have reached a point where immediate survival isn't always the focus, and that allows them to do more long-range planning. If the heads on the spikes had lead the communities to retreat back behind their individual walls, I would have been really frustrated, because we've seen that kind of thing so many times before. But a military alliance between the various communities builds on the civilization that we've seen so far. And if the Whisperers have gone feral, it makes sense that the way to tackle them is the other way. They have the zombie horde, but the communities have all of the other advantages.

Also: I did not believe Siddiq
Avi Nash isn't in the top-tier of actors on this show, and the speech the writers gave him to deliver wasn't one of their best.

I've seen a lot of complaints that people had their DVRs cut off early because the extended running time of this episode wasn't in the schedule. Glad I watched it "live".
Fortunately I still had "Into the Badlands" set to series record even though I've dropped it from my rotation.

That was some death toll. I thought Ezekiel's head might have been the last one revealed. I wasn't too heartbroken to see who it was.
I was really bummed about Enid, because I always thought she was a smart and interesting character -- having survived on her own as a kid for a long, long time before finding her way to Alexandria, and then being trained by Siddiq to be a doctor. I thought there was a lot of interesting places to take that character, and the show basically squandered them. Despite being a series regular in the main credits, we've barely since Katelyn Nacon since the time jump. When she started getting a bunch of scenes in tonight's episode, I had a feeling her days were numbered.

Tara was the "big" kill, since she's been a series regular the longest. But it's another character that never really clicked.

And Henry dying is enough to make me okay with those other deaths, since his stupidity was really dragging down the show.

The rest were minor characters and redshirts -- a few Highwaymen that were only introduced a few episodes ago, one of Negan's wives that we haven't seen in a couple seasons, a couple of the irritating sheltered teenagers from the Kingdom.

That is why I add 30 minutes to the taping schedule of this show and ST Discovery. Many shows now run over their allotted time. Even “The Good Fight” and “Brooklyn 99” often will end during their final sceens if you don’t schedule 5 minutes extra.
The fact that you can record "Star Trek: Discovery" and "The Good Fight" on your DVR through your cable subscription makes me all the more frustrated that the US is stuck with CBS's subpar streaming service for those shows.

I won't get into the ridiculousness of how Alpha got all those people out of there without being noticed. Maybe she offered them a better movie choice?
This is a situation where they cut to them in the barn because they didn't have something plausible to show. And if we'd seen the Whisperers doing the kidnapping, there wouldn't have been any suspense when they got to the heads on the pikes.

Another weird episode for editing. The first few act breaks have everybody together at the Fair, then the first group heads off to Hilltop and we follow them. After the next commercial break, we jump back to them heading off to Hilltop but stay behind at the fair. At this point, I'm thinking were in for a Rashomon-lite where we keep revisiting the same span of time from different perspectives. But then the episode starts jumping backwards and forwards in time, and then they start employing flashbacks. Just a real hodge-podge mess.

Who was the whisperer that Alpha killed in that one scene? Was it just some random that she killed because he saw her cry?
That was my take on it. She's created a society that doesn't tolerate weakness. So she can't tolerate anybody seeing her weakness.

One of the more interesting beats was Alpha's exchange with Daryl overlooking the zombie horde. She's basically established the conditions for war between her Whisperers and the confederation of communities. And she's left her daughter behind in one of the enemy camps. And she basically tells Daryl she's ready to come and kill them all. But she hopes he'll succeed and keep Lydia safe. Alpha has basically set up a clash between her ideology and the Rick/Carl ideology. And the only way her daughter survives is if the Whisperers lose the war and the Rick/Carl ideology prevails.

Cassady McClincy continues to be the best child performer this show has ever had. Lydia is also probably the most interesting young character that the show has ever had, though preteen Judith is right up there for me. Hopefully the show doesn't kill them off any time soon, because there's no hope for the future if only the older characters survive.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I was really bummed about Enid, because I always thought she was a smart and interesting character -- having survived on her own as a kid for a long, long time before finding her way to Alexandria, and then being trained by Siddiq to be a doctor. I thought there was a lot of interesting places to take that character, and the show basically squandered them. Despite being a series regular in the main credits, we've barely since Katelyn Nacon since the time jump. When she started getting a bunch of scenes in tonight's episode, I had a feeling her days were numbered.

Tara was the "big" kill, since she's been a series regular the longest. But it's another character that never really clicked.

Yes, Enid and Tara were the worst to see. Agree that they could have done way more with Enid. What a waste of character development.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought it was over when Agatha, er, Alpha, showed up in the movie theater. First I was bummed to not get to see the preview, thinking my recording didn’t catch it. Lol! After finally watching the full end of the episode, I cannot day I’m too upset of those character departures. I feel like I didn’t get to know them enough, which goes great with how in-ceremonious they got killed off. They can kill off a few more expendables next week too for all I care. I’d prefer going back to the days where there weren’t so many people that hardly anyone gets the screen time they deserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks