1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead - Season 9

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #61 of 161 Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    My guess is they are setting up that Rick is an "A" person abducted by whomever 'Jadis' is in contact with and whisked off to wherever that helicopter was coming from. That way, he's not dead (not gonna happen), but he's far away, and they leave open his possible return some day.

(The fact that I'm even speculating about such things shows I'm invested in the better writing and direction of this show for the first time in, like, four years.)

Sean Bryan and johnnybear like this.
  2. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Well we'll soon see but that's a good theory, Hollywood!
    JB

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  3. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Was I the only one that caught the homage to Night of the Living Dead at the house with the tin blowing in the wind? Notice the burned out truck with the burned body by the gas pump?

TravisR and MarkMel like this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If something doesn't happen in the next episode to alter the circumstances of Rick Grimes's departure, that will go down as the most anticlimactic death for the show's most important character.

It's right up there with Kirk's death in Generations.

5. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

Death by rebar. Probably not the rebar though, probably the tetanus got him.

First lockjaw, then death. "Here I come Coral!" <Mumbled, because you know, lockjaw>

TravisR likes this.
  6. johnnybear

John
    And here I was thinking he just leaves and it could be left open for his return when the series wraps at the end of season ten!
    JB

7. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I figured Jadis would ship him to the helicopter people.

I suspect the next episode will be Rick-centric and he'll get rescued only to die later, but I really hope they don't pull a Carl's Death like episode. That was excruciating to get through.

ChristopherG and johnnybear like this.
  8. johnnybear

John
    I'm thinking of a spiritual episode where Rick exists in a world where things went differently and no Zombie Apocalypse or the like but will Carl actually be there to welcome his dad to the other side or will it be a stand in?
    JB

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

For a show that relies on shocking deaths, Rick's last episode already feels like it's DOA. Like a minor speed bump so they can get the story moving in another direction. STAT!

10. johnnybear

John
    I wonder who the 'new' leading man is going to be? Thing is without rick it's not going to be the same and a lot of people will drop off I'm sure!
    JB

11. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    Finally watched Sunday's episode last night, oh my god is this terrible! What a dumb way to end Rick's story. This feels like Grey's Anatomy. :thumbsdown:

12. johnnybear

John
    Well we're sure of nothing yet! Maybe Rick survives and decides to leave the community to fend for itself, leave it open for him to return at the end of the series perhaps?
    JB

13. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
  14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

My fears from the way last week's episode ended proved to be unfounded. Given the production realities of Andrew Lincoln wanting to leave the show, I thought they handled that about as well as they could have:
    They were faced with a few conflicting realities:
    1. Having Rick Grimes's story end before the series ends would be inherently unsatisfying.
    2. Having Rick Grimes live and not try to get back to his people, and have his people not try to to find him, would be inherently unsatisfying.
    3. Having Rick Grimes not leave behind a meaningful legacy would be inherently unsatisfying.
    The solution they came up with isn't especially elegant, but it manages to cross the Rubicon in a manner that more or less checks all three boxes:
    1. Rick Grimes remains alive, so the possibility remains -- despite this being heavily promoted as Rick Grimes's final episode -- that he'll be back for the final run of episodes once AMC finally commits to a definitive end date.
    2. Rick Grimes is severely injured and is being taken very, very far away. So getting back will neither be quick nor easy. It explains how years could go by with him out of the picture. And all of his people saw him blow up with the bridge amidst a massive herd of walkers, and dozens upon dozens of heavily charred bodies get swept downriver. So they think he's dead, and they won't be suspicious when they don't find a body.
    3. At a moment when Rick's leadership and vision were being challenged from multiple sides, he transforms himself into a martyr. His Bridge on the River Kwai moment makes him unquestionable in apparent death in a way he never could have been as a living breathing man that can be confronted and argued with. The nature of the final scene would seem to confirm that the world he was trying to build at Carl's request perseveres for at least a few more years.
    That final scene made me the most excited I've been in a long time with this show:
    Having Judith old enough to be a character now, and fill the role that Carl vacated when he died, opens up a lot of exciting possibilities. She is the first true child of this world, with no memory or experience of the world that came before. What does that look like? What is the next generation of humanity like, forged under these conditions?

It also means that the network of communities have likely had a handful of years of relative stability and security. What does that look like? How will established civilization cope with whatever the next threat is to come down the pike?

Even though the eggs this goose is laying are a lot less golden than they were even a year or two ago, I think this is a smart move.
    Andrew Lincoln's stated reason for leaving was because he was too far from his family for too long. This allows us to find out what happens next with Rick on his terms. And assuming they do set up production in the UK for these, it allows us to find out what's going on with the zombie apocalypse outside of North America.

15. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    SPOILERS BELOW

I’m glad they handled this the way they did. And kudos to Hollywoodaholic for calling it.

Rick has been the core of this story. Yes, the tone established early on with The Walking Dead is that anyone can die, anytime. But this is still a fiction for entertainment and he is THE main character. To have his story end before the show ends just felt wrong. So once I heard the news that Andrew Lincoln wanted to leave the show because he wanted to get back to his life and family in England I hoped that they would do the right thing and find a way to basically “put the character on ice” until the series ends and he can be brought back for the final episode(s). That was my hope, though I wasn’t necessarily expecting it.

So I’m perfectly happy with the way they did this. He’s alive, but he’s “away”. And he won’t be able to make his way back to Michone and Judith until the series is ready to end.

As an added bonus, his story will still continue in AMC original movies. I’d guess they’ll either be filmed in England or filmed in Atlanta but on a much less demanding schedule than the series requires.

John Macri and Sam Posten like this.
  16. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    My only gripe is that with now another multi-year time skip, it’s even harder to believe there still tons of walkers ambling around unchecked.

I did like the way Rick’s story played out though. And it was good to see Scott Wilson as Herschel one last time.

ChristopherG and Sam Posten like this.
  17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    From the preview they showed, looks like they are going to take it in the direction of the Dead “evolving” and changing behavior. Not sure if that would apply to both fresh dead and years old walkers or just the latter. But it would seem that whatever is going on with that the time jump will have provided several years for it to “cook”.

I’m not a fan of the “evolving walkers” concept. I’d much prefer the dead to remain a force of nature rather than an army of “orcs”. But we’ll see what they do with it. Hopefully they don’t take it too far.

18. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    As a curtain call for Andrew Lincoln (more than Rick Grimes), I thought the episode was satisfying. For actual storytelling or character consistency, it was a mess.

The flashbacks to remind him to wake up seemed random, and wouldn't you wish those characters had something more meaningful to share with Rick? I guess they couldn't book the actors who played the wife, Carl, or Glen.

The sudden driveling turnaround Negan was completely ridiculous. When has that character ever wavered from moustache-twirling snarky gonna getcha mode? (Even within this same scene torturing Maggie with graphic abuse details against Glen). As a ruse to get her to open the door so he could rush and dispatch her, I might've bought. But to go crawling back into the cell after that display was such an unbelievable turn for that character it destroyed any credibility.

I got one thing wrong about the helicopter rescue -- Rick was a "B" not an "A" type. He should renegotiate his contract. Who wants to be a "B"?

The scariest and most disappointing thing about the finale was hearing that Lincoln caved to playing the character again in THREE AMC MOVIES.... and here's the horror part.... to be written my Scott Gimple. The same guy who shit on the last few seasons before new showrunners finally came in this year to begin turning things around. I can only imagine they threw bags of money at Lincoln and promised to film them near his home in England.

And I'm glad I've schooled my son in some classic cinema, because even he recognized the plot ripoff of Bridge on the River Kwai, where the same leader who advocated the building of the bridge for community relations and pride, etc., was the same guy who blows it up to send the enemy 'train' of hordes cascading over the edge to their final demise.

Otherwise, a fine enjoyable hour and 'farewell' to Grimes.

ChristopherG likes this.
  19. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I think it was an almost good farewell to Rick. The things I think could have made it better
    They should have just killed Rick in the explosion. It's not much of a farewell if he's still alive appearing in "movies". Also it should have kept it a secret. I would have been much more affected by the drama of it all during the bridge scene had this impending death come out of left field.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If they're taking inspiration from the comics:
    The walkers aren't really evolving. They're being herded by humans who have adapted to the new world by becoming experts at blending in with the walkers.

The Sasha flashback was originally supposed to be Glen, but they couldn't make the scheduling work. The other two were planned: Shane speaking to the most savage part of Rick, and a marker of where Rick's journey began, Hershel speaking to the most noble part of Rick, and a marker of the midway point of Rick's journey.