What's new

The Walking Dead Season 5 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also...last night's was the most George A. Romero-show ever. Show's been a wholesale ripoff of his work (as are pretty much all other zombie films, ever), but Jesus -- it's like he directed last night.

Slow, agonizing deaths aplenty! The way the camera lingered on Noah's jaw getting ripped apart felt like something right out of Day of the Dead. As much as I absolutely loved Eugene's techno-thumping van, it was devastating to see Noah's death. Glenn really sold the emotional horror in that moment.

Bummed to see some of the ambiguity lifted -- our guys are clearly the good guys, and many of the Alexandria folks are clearly despicable, bedwetting pussies -- but I like the way the stakes are shaping up for the end-of-season run. This is as strong as the show has ever been.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
The way the camera lingered on Noah's jaw getting ripped apart felt like something right out of Day of the Dead.
I assume it was a deliberate homage but the way it was shot when the Alexandria guy got ate looked exactly like Rhodes get torn to pieces in Day Of The Dead. I was expecting him to start yelling "Choke on 'em!"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Bummed to see some of the ambiguity lifted -- our guys are clearly the good guys, and many of the Alexandria folks are clearly despicable, bedwetting pussies -- but I like the way the stakes are shaping up for the end-of-season run. This is as strong as the show has ever been.

That why I really liked that, after Abraham showed up the construction foreman to save the woman's life, the construction foreman went to Deanna, gave an honest and forthright accounting of what happened, and recommended Abraham for the job. Not everybody is a selfish asshole, and within the protective womb that is Alexandria, a few of them have managed to survive the apocalypse up until now.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
joshEH said:
With Father Gabriel, while I think that he is casting some of his own guilt aside, I also think he views Rick's group as a threat to his gaining influence. They know his secret, while none of the new people do -- he is again sacrificing those around him just to save himself.

I viewed him as making his confession, that he is Satan, after what he did to his congregation, but was hoping it was taken a different way, so that he remains blameless for his actions or inactions

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Sam Posten said:
What happens to the other guy when they get back?

2 episodes left this season!

I'm guessing they get back and, after Gabriel's warning, the Congresswoman isn't going to believe anything Glenn says and things will get very bad very quick.

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I watch an .AVI version of the show on Monday nights, so sometimes I don't catch all the dialog. Before Aiden died, did he tell Glenn "it was us"? If he did, what was he referring to?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think he was saying that they were the ones that screwed up and got the other people in their scouting party killed, and that they left them behind when they were in trouble.

Poor Noah, that was brutal.

I'm not sure how Captain Janeway is going to handle the death of her son.

Carol says the doctor needs to die because in a "civilized world" with police and lawyers and judges and social workers, abusive scumbags like her husband were still able to get away with beating on their family. But at least there was the possibility of leaving and legal protection and maybe jail if everything in the system worked perfectly. In the world as is it now, the victims of such abuse have no real hope of help or escape. And the abuser has no real fear of legal consequence, because there is none.

As someone who knows what that situation is like, Carol sees that they only way to stop it is for him to die.

I think Rick will still want confirmation that this is happening before he'd do anything.

And I don't think banishing anyone from such a refuge is a smart idea. If you banish someone, you now have an enemy who knows where you are and could bring others back to attack you. So "criminals" need to be disciplined if they want to stay or be killed. But what kind of punishment? Jail? Doesn't seem practical. Beating? Maybe. But then you may have just made someone who will be looking to get back at the society who punished him.

"Road Justice" is probably a simpler issue. But Justice in this world in a settlement is tricky business.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Sure you can imprison someone, but the effort in maintaining that just seems misplaced and impractical when you have to worry about people from the outside wanting to come take what you have and a world full of walking corpses that'll eat your face. Better hope that prisoner never escapes and does any number of horrible things. All kinds of potential risk associated with that. Just not worth the risk.

It just seems like something the sheltered, naive people in Alexandria might do but not something the actual "survivors" would would think to be a good idea.

Then again, the Alexandria folk seem to be conditioned to leave each other for dead if someone gets In a risky spot. So maybe they actually would want to kill or exile a criminal. Hard to say at this point.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Sean Bryan said:
Then again, the Alexandria folk seem to be conditioned to leave each other for dead if someone gets In a risky spot.

Do we know this is general discipline of the community, or just Aiden and his group of cowboys? I'm thinking the latter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it is specifically Aiden and his cohort who have fought and run away, but the impression I got from the recent episode was wheat being separated from chaff by facing the realities of the outside. Most of the Alexandria residents haven't really been tested in this way, so you have people rising or sinking to the occasion. That has started to divide the community into weak and strong.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Cameron Yee said:
I think it is specifically Aiden and his cohort who have fought and run away...
All of the Alexandrians fled when things got bad on the construction site. They only found some inspiration when they saw Abraham refusing to leave someone behind.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I figured that they'd go with the cliché of the construction foreman blaming his failings on Abraham so I liked that the character was smart enough to just admit that Abraham would be better suited to the gig than he is. It shows that at least some of the people in Alexandria can tell that the group is an asset when dealing with the outside world.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Paul D G said:
Do we know this is general discipline of the community, or just Aiden and his group of cowboys? I'm thinking the latter.
Well, the foreman exhibited the same type of thing in not trying to help the woman who fell from the bulldozer. Some of the workers ultimately helped once they saw Abraham in action, but initially they all seemed to be hanging back as if that was SOP.

Yes, I loved that the foreman recognized and accepted the value of what Abraham did and can do.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Charlie Campisi said:
All of the Alexandrians fled when things got bad on the construction site. They only found some inspiration when they saw Abraham refusing to leave someone behind.
True, but you also get some fine delineation of those who are inspired and act and those who continue to hang back. With Rick's group if the leadership had had a different set of values that would have been the same story.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
CAd5oeGUIAE4ZPL.jpg

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So two different people posted the same exact thing in consecutive posts in the same thread...that's gotta be a first!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks