What's new

The Walking Dead Season 5 (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
As someone who hasn't read the comics, my prediction is that it is actually a good place, but they won't trust Rick enough to take him in, thus dividing the group.

Of course that still wouldn't explain what Aaron and his partner were doing so far away from the community so I have to think there will be more to it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
solid episode, like how they don't want to get "weak" and trying to figure out how they fit in here, everyone letting their guard down a little except Darrel

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The fascinating thing about tonight's episode was that it sort of flipped everything on its head. About halfway through the episode, the bulk of my distrust shifted from the people of the Alexandria community to our group of protagonists. At first you think Rick's giving Deanna advice in his videotaped interview, but by the end of the episode you realize he's assessing weaknesses. The biggest threat to safety and security in Alexandria might be Rick's group.

Aside from those unnerving developments, the two mysteries that lingered in my mind were: 1) Who took the gun Rick hid in the junked blender? 2) What's Enid's deal, and why is she sneaking out of the safe zone? Is it some sort of PTSD reaction, or is she scouting for a group like the Governor's, doing advance reconnaissance before the main assault?

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
Aside from those unnerving developments, the two mysteries that lingered in my mind were: 1) Who took the gun Rick hid in the junked blender? 2) What's Enid's deal, and why is she sneaking out of the safe zone? Is it some sort of PTSD reaction, or is she scouting for a group like the Governor's, doing advance reconnaissance before the main assault?

I thought it tied in together and she was the one that took Rick's gun. She was sent by their leader to scavange hunt for any weapons Rick's group might have hidden outside. Their leader is FAR from whom she is pretending to be.

The episode sort of lost me in the whole, is Rick's group TRULY falling for what their leading is saying. It was clearly obvious to me she was lying about her own background and was using the video tape interviews to Phycho Analyze each individual person. Her taping made that plain as I saw that as her weapon of choice for now. Each person was going to be studied to find their weakness and then she was going to give them what they needed. Rick as a former Sheriff was in need of order, structure and control. Carol as a former battered wife, wanting, needing to be the wife she wasn't or could be taking care of her "family". The list goes on from there.

It was my belief during the show that Rick and the group were falling for their own weakness because they NEEDED to, if for no other reason than going insane from what has happened in their lives after society collapsed. Then, the final scene made me uncertain if this was all an act and they were the ones analyzing them instead. Certainly, Rick would have to be seriously delusional to TRULY believe things are OK now that his gun is missing. That's why I'm leaning to the theory that Rick hiding his gun was not intended to be for defense if something went wrong, but rather a test to see if his gun went missing. He now knows not only were they being scouted for some time prior, but also during and after their arrival.

Quite interesting I must say.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Carol was just so great last night, playing um... possum 24x7.

First she can barely remove her rifle from her shoulder, and then she just "misses Ed" :)

Awesome.

- Walter.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Walter Kittel said:
Carol was just so great last night, playing um... possum 24x7.

First she can barely remove her rifle from her shoulder, and then she just "misses Ed" :)

Awesome.

- Walter.

Precisely, Carol is no wall flower now and her past life as an abused wife is LONG gone. I loved it in the first season when Carol beat the living snot out of her dead husband, that was a tad bit of anger she was venting there. :)

Now, Carol acting like she is living in Ms. Rogers neighborhood is really what gives it away and great to see how she is playing it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Who took the gun? My guess is it's Morgan. We haven't seen hide nor hair of him in many episodes, bet you forgot about him.

Carol as the PTA lady had me cracking up. "You look ridiculous!"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Someone pointed out on Twitter that Enid was played by Katelyn Nacon from Too Many Cooks. If it turns out that Gwydion Lashlee-Walton isn't also living somewhere in Alexandria, I'm gonna be pissed.

An interesting episode. I'll admit I like the characters enough to enjoy watching them react to near-normalcy. Daryl's in complete rebellion-denial...but I'm assuming much of that is rooted in the fear of not being directly useful to the group. He seemed to really dislike the assigning of jobs, and pointedly asked Rick if he (Rick) was a cop again.

While Rick looks odd without his beard, I'm glad to see the return of Badass Rick, which is the best Rick. I felt conflicting emotions with his, "we'll just take this place"-comment at the end of the episode. Because it's both a little unsettling, and a little awesome. These people really don't know who they're fucking with. Rick's crew are the Michael Jordans of killing zombies/people. You don't go around trying to show them the ropes. Which is why it was so satisfying watching Glenn drop that Congresswoman's sheltered, obnoxious, frat-boy dudebro son like that.

Carol seems to be assimilating simply as a way to see what's going on? Her recorded interview was all kinds of hilarious.

The show is obviously deliberating fucking with audience fears and expectations. On one hand, we've already done the Seemingly Normal But Really Fucked Up New Community(TM)-thing. OTOH, settling down to a near-normal life could make for boring viewing, and I simply don't think this show has it in itself to make the Domestication of Team Grimes(TM) a compelling story over the long haul.

Four episodes left....and IMDB has what seems to be some major fucking spoilers in their summaries of the final episodes. (Nothing that's not easily guessed, but spoilers nonetheless.)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I loved the paranoia and the open questions presented by this episode:

Why is Deanna filming everyone? Is she looking for a weakness to exploit like Rick warns us?

Where is the girl going and did she steal Rick's gun? Are her 'people' out there?

The 3 people Deanna banned - that sounds like foreshadowing to me. Is one of them named Negan?

What's up with the hairstylist's husband? He seems like a douche.

What is Carol up to?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
Why is Deanna filming everyone? Is she looking for a weakness to exploit like Rick warns us?
She is definitely recording all of the interviews to study and review later to get a better understanding of who these people are. I disagree with Jeffrey that that automatically means that she isn't who she says she is. I think she was forthright with Rick's group about who she is and what she's trying to accomplish. But I also think she has her own means of ensuring Alexandria's survival, and her ability to read people and study people is a part of that. Certainly one way of preserving your rule is to do a good enough job that nobody wants to question it. By giving Rick a leadership role as the head of the community's law enforcement, she's co-opting a potential rival and removing a reason for him to challenge her. That doesn't mean that she won't have more brutal means of preserving her rule, should it come to that, but it's to her credit that those means are a last resort instead of a first resort. She's a benign dictator.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
joshEH said:
Someone pointed out on Twitter that Enid was played by Katelyn Nacon from Too Many Cooks. If it turns out that Gwydion Lashlee-Walton isn't also living somewhere in Alexandria, I'm gonna be pissed.

An interesting episode. I'll admit I like the characters enough to enjoy watching them react to near-normalcy. Daryl's in complete rebellion-denial...but I'm assuming much of that is rooted in the fear of not being directly useful to the group. He seemed to really dislike the assigning of jobs, and pointedly asked Rick if he (Rick) was a cop again.

While Rick looks odd without his beard, I'm glad to see the return of Badass Rick, which is the best Rick. I felt conflicting emotions with his, "we'll just take this place"-comment at the end of the episode. Because it's both a little unsettling, and a little awesome. These people really don't know who they're fucking with. Rick's crew are the Michael Jordans of killing zombies/people. You don't go around trying to show them the ropes. Which is why it was so satisfying watching Glenn drop that Congresswoman's sheltered, obnoxious, frat-boy dudebro son like that.

Carol seems to be assimilating simply as a way to see what's going on? Her recorded interview was all kinds of hilarious.

The show is obviously deliberating fucking with audience fears and expectations. On one hand, we've already done the Seemingly Normal But Really Fucked Up New Community(TM)-thing. OTOH, settling down to a near-normal life could make for boring viewing, and I simply don't think this show has it in itself to make the Domestication of Team Grimes(TM) a compelling story over the long haul.

Four episodes left....and IMDB has what seems to be some major fucking spoilers in their summaries of the final episodes. (Nothing that's not easily guessed, but spoilers nonetheless.)

WOW! You sure seem to enjoy dropping the "F" bomb a lot.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Quentin said:
I loved the paranoia and the open questions presented by this episode:

Where is the girl going and did she steal Rick's gun? Are her 'people' out there?

The 3 people Deanna banned - that sounds like foreshadowing to me. Is one of them named Negan?

What's up with the hairstylist's husband? He seems like a douche.

What is Carol up to?

This was already answered in my post above. She was clearly recording the sessions to Phycho Analyze. I highly doubt she was a politician prior to the events. More than likely she seems to have a skill set of an educated person specializing in said field. It was the very first thing I thought of by her actions when meeting Rick and asking about recording their conversations on video.

But of course, only part of what they gave her was the actual truth as was evident with Carol.

Eve Babcock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eve Babcock
Jeffery_H said:
It's hard for anyone in that setting to break into or form a group, people are looking out for their own. Although I wouldn't have hurt anyone wanting to join or have the group join others, I think sending a small group of 2 or 4 scouts to check it out fully and report back within X amount of time would've been best. Instead, Rick led the entire group there, yet again, which is a very flawed if not down right stupid move to make regardless.

I agree with you on this.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interesting turn around with our protagonists being the threat to a community and exploring the consequences of being in survival mode for so long. It will be interesting to see how far they take it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
"I once shot a kid in the back of the head. So, don't fuck with me." Carol is BADASS!

I'm not sure I buy Daryl acclimating so quickly...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks