1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by truevalue, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Eve Babcock

Eve Babcock Stunt Coordinator

Eve Babcock
    I wasn't able to catch it definitely tonight I'll see it. I heard there's a new character?

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    That is the case.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Hey, it's Aaron.

I'm sure this episode will be criticized for being slow (and that's a fair assessment) but I liked it because of that slowness. Society collapsed about a year and a half or two years ago now so I'm glad to finally see the consequences of everything having been looted and the survivors just starving & exhausted.

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I thought Rick's speech in the barn was a little too on the nose.

My favorite part was them marching along the road, starving and dehydrated, with the walkers stumbling behind them drawing closer and closer. There was a very interesting existential statement being made with that.

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    So was their thinking that it took less energy to push the walkers off the side of the road versus just stabbing them in the head?

6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    This episode with the storm/hurricane and everyone stuck in the barn reminded me of a zombie-version of Toni Morrison's Their Eyes Were Watching God, minus Halle Berry.

7. Eve Babcock

Eve Babcock
    I finally saw it. So the new character was Aaron the stranger danger and they had hotdogs for lunch I supposed. Nice.

8. SteveSs

SteveSs Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    And on the 10th episode, the writer's rested...

9. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

It was a transition episode. Setting up what's to come.

TravisR likes this.
  10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I enjoyed the last episode quite a bit. Personally, the episodes where the cast is out in nature are generally my favorites. This is at least partly because it affords the show the opportunity to utilize wilderness / nature compositions that are relatively idyllic in and of themselves. I enjoy the contrast between the beauty of nature and the ugliness of the zombie apocalypse. For this episode two shots standout... The shot of the barn in the trees when Daryl is sitting beside the tree, and the sun on the horizon in the final scene with Maggie and Sasha (before Aaron arrives.)

I have to admit that I missed the parallels between the 'trunk' walker and Beth but when they discussed in on Talking Dead it made perfect sense.

I think I prefer the slower, more contemplative episodes. Maybe. (??)

- Walter.

Eve Babcock and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  11. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    No reaction to this episode yet? I thought it was a great one.

The group's hope versus Rick's skepticism. We all know this will end badly, but I'm very curious to see how it happens. It was odd to me that the group seemed a little too overconfident that it was the real deal just seeing it from the outside (and hearing children's laughter).

Aaron did mention an "audition" so I'm wondering if Rick won't pass the audition, thus splitting the group.

I am curious what Aaron and his companion were doing so far away from their community. That should be a major red flag right there.

To those that read the comic, was any of this in it?

12. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    I really have fallen out of love with these characters....

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The broad strokes of Aaron recruiting the survivors and the community in Alexandria are directly from the comic book. So far, they're being pretty faithful to the comic book so I don't want to comment on any of your questions since I have comic book knowledge that I think are likely to be TV show spoilers.

I'm surprised that they've gotten this far along in the comic book storyline because at the rate that they're going, they'll be caught up to the fairly recent All Out War story arc by this time next year and then they'll have to set out in their own direction.

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Rick took those challenges to his leadership a lot better than I thought he would. 1 last week and 2 this week. I think he will turn out to be right tho, just a matter of time.

15. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    "...Hey, what's this cinder-block-sized listening device?"

- Rick, after 9 hours in the car, finally decides to investigate why he has no foot-room.

This was a pretty good episode, and having read the original comics, this should be an interesting stretch of the series if they stick to a reasonably faithful adaptation of the Alexandria, VA-arc. Glad to see our group finally stumbling across a group of people who have a better plan for survival than, "Let's see what's over there..."

Just one thing. At some point, someone, maybe Daryl, should have said to the new guy, "Last time we got an offer like this, they LITERALLY TRIED TO EAT US." Would've made Aaron understand why our group was so suspicious, and it would've reminded the audience that Rick is usually right to be so suspicious.

16. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Yeah, it really bothered me when Carol said, "You may have been wrong, but you were still right." Hello? You haven't even gone through the gate yet!

Eve Babcock likes this.
  17. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I felt like "Them" was a bit heavy handed metaphorically. They could license scenes from the episode to use in corporate team building seminars and youth group motivational conferences if there weren't all the violence and gore. :)

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The season finale will run 90 minutes.

Sam Posten likes this.
  19. Eve Babcock

Eve Babcock
    I took it positively maybe there "is" really something good waiting for them inside ^_^

20. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

I kind of thought the same thing in that regard. But still, an odd comment to make given what the group has been though. It's not remotely practical to trust anyone at this time, but your group needs to grow or at least replace those that have been killed to survive.

It's hard for anyone in that setting to break into or form a group, people are looking out for their own. Although I wouldn't have hurt anyone wanting to join or have the group join others, I think sending a small group of 2 or 4 scouts to check it out fully and report back within X amount of time would've been best. Instead, Rick led the entire group there, yet again, which is a very flawed if not down right stupid move to make regardless.

Eve Babcock likes this.