What's new

The Walking Dead Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, there's no way I see that happening. That would be terrible. I was sad to see Beth go, but she's dead. Bringing her back with some kind of fake-out would be horrible for the integrity of the show. Plus, as has been said, they've already filmed further ahead. They're not going back and re-doing multiple episodes because fans are upset a nice character died. The world of the show IS a nightmarish existence where characters WILL die, even nice ones. Kind of reminds me of when Lori was telling Rick that maybe it would be better if they let Carl slip away before Hershel operated on him. She asked "why would it be better for him to continue living in this world?" He wouldn't have to be afraid anymore, he wouldn't have to worry about being torn apart, she wouldn't worry that he survives but ultimately becomes a monster because of what it will take to survive in this world. A fair point. Rick ultimately said it was better that he live, even in this world, because when he came to he "talked about the deer", not about getting shot, but about the deer. That they still had to have hope for some kind of joy or light in this life. An understandable point as well. Though remember, at this point in season 2 he had only been living in this new world for a week or so. Perspectives change with experience, and he may feel differently now. But Beth is gone. Let her be at peace.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That would be a horrible idea to bring her back, especially if they did it under that absurd premise that the last sequence never happened.

People need to get over the Beth thing. She was a good character, but certainly not critical to the show. I'm sure there will be plenty of other "moral compass" characters in the future.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't understand these petitions. When the YouTube couple got eliminated on The Amazing Race I read about their fans demanding they be re-instated. Do they think the show is live? That it wasn't filmed months previously?

Same with Beth. Saddening when you were a fan of her character, but they're way into filming the next half of the season already. Bringing her back is a ridiculous suggestion. And, really, that's how life works isn't it. Sometimes the ones you care about the most leave you too soon. There's nothing you can do about it except move on.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Has this been posted already? If so, I will delete. It's the first I've heard of it to this extent.

http://nationalreport.net/amcs-walking-dead-agrees-bring-beth-greene-back-life/

Fans of AMC’s The Walking Dead were in uproar after the mid-season finale “Coda”, when long-standing survivor Beth Greene (Emily Kinney) was “accidentally” shot and killed by Dawn Lerner (Christine Woods). Fans are so upset about the death of Beth, they’ve started a petition to deliver to TWD Producers, which has already received over 50,000 signatures, demanding they resurrect the teenage girl. It appears the production team is listening, and has agreed to bring Beth Greene back to life.
Viewers have cried in outrage about Beth’s death, saying that Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus) could have, and should have, saved her. Yes, he shot Dawn in retaliation for killing Beth, but the fans say that is not enough. Not only have the petitioners gained impressive steam on the petition, but they have also been sending plastic spoons with their favorite “Beth Quotes” written on them, to the show’s production offices, to drive the point.
Joshua Warren, spokesperson for FOX Networks, says he agrees with fans that Beth’s storyline still has major potential, and that her death only occurred to further Daryl’s path on the show. Warren is in support of the petition to bring her back, saying that he’s already signed it himself, and is happy that producers are at least taking a second look at their decision to terminate the character.
The Beth Greene Deserved Better Facebook Page calls the petition a “movement”, and has also began spearheading other campaigns, such as assembling a coalition of fans to send Thank You cards to Emily Kinney. Social media is ablaze with support for Beth, as Twitter and Instagram accounts are also being created in throws to aid in the resurrection of Beth.
Sources report that TWD executive producer Robert Kirkman has been putting in overtime with AMC and FOX networks to figure out how he can re-write Beth into the series.
Rumors state that Kirkman is scheming to have Beth’s death be all in the dreams of Carol Peletier (Melissa McBride). It’s the only strategy that will likely work, as Carol is in love with Daryl, and knows that Beth is a threat to that. It is beyond logical for Carol to have dreamed of Beth’s demise.
While it is difficult to receive comment from Kirkman himself, sources say he’s openly admitted he’s “working on it” when asked about bringing Beth back to life on the show. It seems that The Walking Dead fans are winning the Beth Greene battle.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:medium;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]- See more at: http://nationalreport.net/amcs-walking-dead-agrees-bring-beth-greene-back-life/#sthash.VDTPOXiE.dpuf[/color]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just looking at the URL, that's a satire site. I just saw a completely different bit of "news" from them on another site and it was obviously made up and someone said they're a known satire outfit.

I'm sorry you're finding out stuff about seasons you haven't seen yet.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg,Thank you for letting me know about it being a satire. As for finding out about future seasons, that's my fault, but thank you. :)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
If they brought Beth back I would stop watching the show.

Losing key people is what this show is all about. Move on folks. She wasn't even that great a character.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Alycia Debnam Carey, who plays her daughter on the spin off, did really interesting work in her first appearance on "The 100" as well. And Cliff Curtis is just one of the endlessly likeable actors.

I still wish they hadn't picked Los Angeles as the starting point for the spinoff. There are plenty of other places far away from Atlanta that we haven't seen as much of on screen as Los Angeles. I'd much rather see Walking Dead: Alaska or Walking Dead: Denver or Walking Dead: Boise than Walking Dead: Los Angeles. I'm still hoping that the spinoff fills in some of the period of time between Rick getting shot and Rick waking up in the hospital. I hope they have an interesting explanation for how things got that out of control, that fast.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Great analysis, Josh.

A subset of the enslavement paradigm in the GMH fiefdom was simply abuser and victim. It would have been too on-the-nose to have Carol in that situation, but the additional back story on Carol in Episode 7 and her being a presence in the hospital, a kind of motivation for Beth, reinforced the theme. While Beth never got to the point of being fully drawn in to the abuse and manipulation, Noah had been, and Dawn's "I knew you'd be back" is a retort taken right out of the abuser's phrasebook (as Carol attested in the previous episode).

I'm a little bit torn about Beth's final act. Yes, it was stupid and reckless, but she was also a former weak person (who had tried to kill herself) asserting new found strength, not for her sake but someone else's. I'd say the primary flaw in the storytelling is that there wasn't enough time and development of her experience at GMH to really get behind what she did. As it is, we just see it as something foolish, rather than her really standing up to Dawn and watching out for a friend.

The episode with her and Daryl in the wilderness also becomes kind of a cheap manipulation to get us to know and like this new person, only to have her taken away.

joshEH said:
Looking back at the last scene of the episode, Dawn was the real problem, not the moderating influence that she pretended to be. Yes, other cops were doing the abusing and raping, but Dawn was not above taking out her frustrations by lashing out at the nearest helpless person.

Her talks with first Beth, and then with O'Donnell, were not remotely honest or coming from anywhere approaching a moral high-ground. It was about manipulating people and keeping them under her control. She remonstrated with O'Donnell for "laughing" about a rape, in order to retain Beth's sympathies just in case she needed her on her side during the confrontation.

And now, Noah was going back under the thumb of someone who used rape as an incentive, and who enforced a class-system with cops as the rulers.

I had a bad feeling about the whole exchange, because Dawn clearly demonstrated in her earlier appearances that she was not a good person driven to desperate straits or holding onto a semblance of control against the appetites of bad people.

The stuff that really rang true from the captured hostage cops was what they said about her whole image, how she would not go for a deal where she did not come out looking like a winner, and that's exactly what happened.

She picked a fight that almost ruined everything by demanding Noah, because an even trade is the same as a "loss" in her eyes. Normal people would be delighted to get rid of two mouths to feed who do not want to be there, in exchange for two extremely valuable members of the group.

Dawn was a slave owner. She might not have called it that, and invented a whole system to rationalize what she was doing, but it was abundantly clear from her talk about "wards" that she saw Beth and Noah as possessions. The talk about "doing your fair share" to repay the use of resources was just verbal chains-and-collars. She was more interested in keeping people in her possession than in recouping an investment in materiel and care.

In that moment, Beth's move was perhaps not the smartest, but also completely understandable.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Her "oh no" when she started getting teary was pretty endearing.

Sam Posten said:
Yep. I said essentially the same thing after her appearance two weeks ago. She's brilliant and funny and a LOT more likable on Talking Dead than she was as Beth on the actual show. I said it back then: It must take a hell of a lot of talent to turn down her real life charisma to play the understated and meek Beth. I hope to see her in roles in the future that let her really shine.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
found a way to bring back lots of characters all in one ep, the down side as always loosing characters that you are vested in, but it does not pay to be the moral compass on this show

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Adam Lenhardt said:
Alycia Debnam Carey, who plays her daughter on the spin off, did really interesting work in her first appearance on "The 100" as well. And Cliff Curtis is just one of the endlessly likeable actors.

I still wish they hadn't picked Los Angeles as the starting point for the spinoff. There are plenty of other places far away from Atlanta that we haven't seen as much of on screen as Los Angeles. I'd much rather see Walking Dead: Alaska or Walking Dead: Denver or Walking Dead: Boise than Walking Dead: Los Angeles. I'm still hoping that the spinoff fills in some of the period of time between Rick getting shot and Rick waking up in the hospital. I hope they have an interesting explanation for how things got that out of control, that fast.

To me, a Walking Dead St. Louis or Walking Dead Minneapolis would have been great. There are so many places this story could go.. and chosing LA is just a major metro that just doesn't stand out to me as unique for a show like this. Hell, a Walking Dead MOntreal or Walking Dead in Omaha could have been pretty freaking unique.

On the plus side, damn did they show a lot of previews for The Order: 1886 game, which is SUPER high on my list this spring.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Oh how I hate when the walkers conveniently become "silent" walkers.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah...yet another ninja-zombie because the plot demanded it. Every other walker they can hear a quarter-mile away, but put one three feet away in a house and suddenly they turn totally silent.

Also, why was Tyreese so damn transfixed by the photos of Noah and his twin brother constantly giving him the side-eye? Mostly enjoyed the episode, but that whole sequence was just shot and edited very strangely.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, not a fan of the sneaky zombie to push the plot along.

Nicotero called this the "Terrence Malick" episode. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks