What's new

The Walking Dead: Season 4 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Wasn't it determined that hand was that girl's? I don't remember.
It hasn't been answered yet. It definitely wasn't The Governor since he hadn't found the prison at that point in time. People's confusion is a good demonstration of a problem with having spent two episodes or 25% of this season's episodes solely with The Governor- there's still unresolved plot elements going on at the prison and by the time that they do get back to them in the second half of the season (presumably the mid-season finale episode will be focused on the threat of The Governor), who is going to remember the creepy girl or even care that anyone was feeding rats to the walkers if The Governor is the main villain again?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Quite a midseason finale. Mainly glad that the Governor is dead so we don't have to continue on this endless merry-go-round. Sorry to see Hershel go, but it was the right call for the story. I appreciated that the last thing he experienced before the blade came down was seeing his faith in Rick rewarded.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm having a good laugh at folks on my facebook stream who got the episode by their "friends" posting spoilers in their statuses. This is why I watch this damn show almost "live" and stay off facebook until I've seen each new episode. Take control of your social media experience, people! :D LOL!

So, that being said, quite an episode, clearing the field for all of our favorite characters, and leaves a lot of scrambling for the next half-season in February.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That was a heckuva episode. Sorry to see Hershel go and I'll miss David Morrisey but The Governor had ran his course. I was glad to see Michonne get The Governor.

And I loved seeing The Governor's "Kill them all!" line brought to life.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
While I do think Judith is alive and well, am I the only one that's at least a little bit curious what "Infant Baby Zombie" might look like?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I guess I don't know people posting spoilers; I always catch this later after my DVR has stripped out the ads and stuff.. but still enjoyed it a great deal.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Favorite episode of the series so far. That parlay is one for the age. One of the best run and gun battles ever on TV. Judith might be dead. Hershel gets a GREAT exit and won't be a zombie. The Governor gets triple teamed one after the other, a small player gets the coup de grace. His family is in tatters. The good guys are scattered to the wind. Bob -almost- gets to redeem himself and they gets cut off. Perfectly executed.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My answer to the question "Who would you bring back if you could?" on the Walking Dead has always been Dale. That answer might be Herschel now. As Chris Hardwick pointed out on Talking Dead, the show seems to keep killing off the conscience of the series.

I thought Michonne had the right idea, let the Governor experience life as one of the Walking Dead, but Lily took that away. Curious if the Flash Flood Area warning sign will figure into things when the series returns or if that was just a setup for the concept of a buried / dormant walker ready to arise when food presents itself. Re: Judith, I have no idea but Robert Kirkland observed that there was a lot of blood in that carrier seat. I suspect that Judith is gone, but they didn't want to show a baby being taken. (Bad enough seeing poor Meghan get it at the mud bank.)

As great as Morrissey was in the role of The Governor, I'm kind of glad that they have wrapped up that part of the storyline and I'm anxious to see what the second half of the series this year holds. Since a fixed residence like the prison proved ultimately to attract too much attention will the group adopt a migratory mode of existence? (Haven't read the graphic novels. Just speculating.)

- Walter.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I feel like if Judith were dead they would have shown her. And I don't remember, but who was carrying her in the carrier earlier in the episode? Whoever that was would likely have to be dead as well - I doubt someone would have just left the baby there and high-tailed it out of there.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I think the kids (the creepy girl, etc.) had the baby. This is a big assumption but I figured that they set the carrier down on the ground momentarily and a walker came up & ate the baby. Rather than show that onscreen, they wanted to spare the audience seeing a baby die and save the reveal for when Rick and Carl found the carrier at the end. Either way, I'm sure it'll be clarified within an episode or two in February.

The TV show is frequently different from the comic book but in the comic,
Judith is shot and killed along with Lori when The Governor attacks the prison.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
If they introduce another moral center to the series, i.e. Dale or Herschel, PLEASE don't kill him off. However horrible this world is we (and the characters) need some sense of hope and a sliver of humanity to survive. Otherwise all it is, is a neverending slaughter of humanity and one crushing moral defeat after another. Losing Dale was bad enough, and even though I predicted they would kill Herschel off, it still was very deflating. They kill Daryl, and I'm done with the show.

RIP - Dale, Herschel, Merle (if you're gonna have a good guy, you need a bad guy, who is aching to be reformed)

Burn in hell - The Governor

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Watching Rick speak to The Governor, I was immediately reminded of Gary Graham in Robot Jox: "We can LIVE!!! "

Sad that they offed Scott Wilson's character, who was one of the best, but that was a hell of a midseason finale. I agree it should have been the Season 3 finale, though. That would have been much better.

The only thing that would have been even betterer would've been the girl on the mud-pile wiping away the grime, only to read a sign that said: "WARNING: LAND MINES." Then she would've stood up and blown up. That would've been awesome.

At least we got a grenade-down-the-tank-cannon-hole trick. Works every time.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Great mid-season break. I'm glad they shook things up and finally got them out of the prison, and got rid of the governor. I agree, though - would have been better happening at the end of last season instead of bringing Gov. back for round two.

I guess the creepy girl is probably the one who did the thing with the rat?

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
It certainly does seem like the creepy girl probably did the rat artwork. And her skill with the gun leads me to believe she was capable of killing Tyrese's 2 friends. It makes we wonder if the kid killed the 2 sick people, and then Carol dragged them outside and burned them.

I'm glad the Governor's gone, but I'm worried about what's next. We've seen horrors escalate over the course of the show, so what could possibly top the governor's actions? And when are they finally going to get to an island?!?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey was that the grenade that Rick got in the Pilot episode finally being used?
joshEH said:
Watching Rick speak to The Governor, I was immediately reminded of Gary Graham in Robot Jox: "We can LIVE!!! "

Sad that they offed Scott Wilson's character, who was one of the best, but that was a hell of a midseason finale. I agree it should have been the Season 3 finale, though. That would have been much better.

The only thing that would have been even betterer would've been the girl on the mud-pile wiping away the grime, only to read a sign that said: "WARNING: LAND MINES." Then she would've stood up and blown up. That would've been awesome.

At least we got a grenade-down-the-tank-cannon-hole trick. Works every time.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
The season finale of Talking Dead was pretty good as the had Robert Kirkman (the creator of the comics) as one of the guests. The other guests were Scott Wilson (Hershel) and Lauren Cohan (Maggie). I haven't read the comics and it was interesting to hear him talk about the show and the creative decisions that were made. All three guests and Chris Hardwick were upset over Hershel's death (Cohan teared up a number of times), raising a number of points similar to those raised here, moral center of the show, etc.

There have been a lot of critics of the writing on this show, but Kirkman sounded pretty well grounded in keeping the show moving on the right path. They know that they killed off a moral base for the show, but that also means they know they have to replace it. The show has always been about the moral conflicts the characters face when they are suddenly dropped into a situation that doesn't lend itself to "normal" situational morals and decision making. As the zombie world has continued to evolve and "normal" has evolved with it, the decisions and the morals that apply to them continually change, and that is interesting. E.g., killing the flu carriers would not have been fathomable in season 1, but now it's a difficult decision and not an automatic "no." Because I believe the show is centered on these moral quandaries, I conclude they will have to find a replacement moral compass. Which doesn't mean they can't have a few episodes with no moral compass and we get to watch what happens without one, but eventually they'll need someone to make the point about clinging to the prior values of a civilized society.

I also thought before this season that they had done enough with the Governor, but I recently rewatched the entire series with my daughter and it seemed much less tiresome the second time through. I thought the season 4 midseason finale was a very satisfying end for the Governor and set the stage for putting them on the road again. As for finding an island, yes, that makes some sense, but it also would remove a lot of the mechanisms to create drama. We'd be left with food shortages, septic, illness, etc. and no walkers except the newly dead. Seems a less interesting version of the prison, about which people were already complaining because it was too boring.

Kirkman's comments on the Governor and Judith:
Governor is dead. Definitely. All three of Rick, Michonne and Lily were essential to his death. Great discussion about how it differed from the comic. Kirkman also paid a lot of compliments to David Morissey for portraying the part so well and "humanizing" the governor. He said that it would have otherwise been very difficult for anyone to believe a character was so evil. As much as I tired of the Governor, he was compelling. The question of whether Judith is dead is unanswered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks