What's new

The Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending (2015) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
First trailer is now out:

So which act does Sean Bean die in? I'm gonna say second.

This is basically what Iain M. Banks' Culture books look like in my head, and I love those books. The story also looks kind of like a "Special Circumstances" first contact-kind of thing.

This one did its job -- the world-building on display is impressive, the story seems intriguing for a science-fiction concept, the visuals kick ass, and Giacchino's score sounds dope.

Between this and Cloud Atlas, the Wachowskis continuing to get back to their sci-fi roots is more than enough to get me excited.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can't say I'm cray about the 2 main leads in this particular project, though. Did like the production values in the trailer.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You had me at Iain Banks' Culture. I'm a huge fan of those works and the universe Banks created. About the only thing missing were sentient drones & A.I. ships. (Who knows they may be there as well, but not in the trailer.) Definitely looks like a "Special Circumstances" type of storyline. Looks awesome.

- Walter.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Warner must really love these Wachowski dudes since they've greenlit what looks like another pet project that won't make tons of cash. The original Matrix must still be paying off.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Walter Kittel said:
You had me at Iain Banks' Culture. I'm a huge fan of those works and the universe Banks created. About the only thing missing were sentient drones & A.I. ships. (Who knows they may be there as well, but not in the trailer.) Definitely looks like a "Special Circumstances" type of storyline. Looks awesome.

- Walter.
Also, during the film, Mila Kunis needs to undergo a single pregnancy lasting 40 or 50 years.

That trailer makes the movie's world look more rich and interestingly-fantastical than a lot of other major SF movies. It's not the visual aesthetic alone, it's the weirdness and the way it seems to imply a unique narrative.

Of course, it could all be smoke-and-mirrors, but the Wachowskis have always displayed an actual interest in SF ideas, as opposed to just shiny things exploding, so it seems perfectly reasonable to be optimistic.

(Granted, I'm the guy who thinks the Matrix sequels are more worthwhile than the average blockbuster, and that everyone else on Earth is insane and trying to steal my magic bag, so.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New trailer and two new character posters officially released:

hr_Jupiter_Ascending_1-600x890.jpg

hr_Jupiter_Ascending_2-600x890.jpg

This just went from weird to delightfully weird. I'm into this.

The unabashed space-operatic quality of it is awfully appealing. And despite the well-worn basic outline, this is the Wachowskis we're talking about, so I have no doubt that there'll be enough interesting and imaginative details to keep it engaging.

(Not sure about the posters, though. The Mila-one looks like it could be the cover of a YA novel for 9-year-old girls. "Fiona Flanellia and the Golden Compass Things of Fate's Heart's Desire.")

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
joshEH said:
Also...y'know, if Sean Bean's character lives through this movie, that would make an awesome tag-line: "Come See The Film Where Sean Bean LIVES."

(People would want to see it then, right?)
I would.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This thing looks seriously bad ass on the visual side of things. I'll be at the theatre to see this for sure. They might not succeed all the time when it comes to the writing but the Wachowskis at least try to make their SF different from the typical Hollywood fare.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
They might not succeed all the time when it comes to the writing but the Wachowskis at least try to make their SF different from the typical Hollywood fare.
Yep. I don't even like most of their movies but I will always give the Wachowskis credit for trying to do something different.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I saw an ad on TV yesterday for a new series starring Sean Bean. My first thought was "oh nice, he won't get killed off in that!"

Yeah yeah, I know. . . :wacko: :D

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis are the deal-breakers for me. If this was a rom-com dance musical I might not mind because I'd skip it as a matter of course. But for a project like this, you need actors with gravitas and real presence, which those two don't have. At least as far as I've been able to see.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Channing Tatum won me over in 21 Jump Street but he proved to me that he could act in the pair of Steven Soderbergh movies that he did. Mila Kunis is good in Black Swan and... and... well, at least she's really hot.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That's strange, I saw the trailer for this yesterday before seeing Maleficent.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
One the one hand, a studio moving a big picture from July to Februray is not a good sign of confidence in the film. It throws up a pretty big warning flag. But on the other hand, if it wasn't going to be ready it's nice to see a release being pushed back and not rushing it to screens just to meet an arbitrary release date. Still, a move to December would have shown studio confidence. Moving to February? Not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks