What's new

The voices... THE VOICES... ! (1 Viewer)

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
The voices in my head are driving me crazy!!! :) Just like most of you, I have invested a lot of time an money into my HT. Lately I have been noticing that spoken text durring movies seems to be off by about 1/4 of a sec from the video. My wife says she doesn't notice it, but I can see and it is driving me crazy. I tried using the Video Essentials DVD to re-tune my setup, but it didn't seem to help.
I have a 61' floor standing RPTV. I have my center channel sitting on top of the TV which is a couple of feet above the listening possition of someone sitting and watching a movie. I recently upgraded some equiptment and have started to notice a cleaner separation of sound and a more accurate sound stage. Unfortunately though I have started to notice this slight delay/diff between the audio and the video.
I think it might be caused b/c my center channel is placed higher than my listening position. Does this make sense? Should I prop up the rear of my center to point it into my listening possition or should I find a center speaker stand and place it on the ground in front of my tv?
Have any of you experienced this? Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do?
Please help stop the voices! :)

kevitra

Second Unit
This problem is usually caused by the DVD player. It is called 'lip sync' and I believe it only affected older DVD players. I haven't read anything about the newer DVD players doing it.
For it to be your center channel, it would have to be in a different state :) Placement isn't going to slow down the speed of sound.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Kevitra is right, with your center this close to the screen you shouldn't have a delay. However, aiming your center at your listening position is likely to improve the clarity and focus of your center image. Worth giving a try for that reason.

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
Kevitra,

That's what I was afraid of. I did just recently buy a new DVD player... I got the Tosh SD3780. It just came out a few weeks ago. The picture and sound quality have been great. I would hate to think it could be causing this. Is there anything I can do to with the setup?

Perhaps change my audio from bitstream to something else, or something like that?

I'd hate to get rid of the player so soon. Especially for the price I got if for.

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried revisiting the Speaker Distance (or Listener Position) options on your Receiver or Pre/Pro? I had a craptacular Sony unit once (not an ES) that somehow reset its Speaker Distance values. I was sitting only 6 feet away but for some reason one day, the Sony reset itself to 13 feet or something like that. This caused a very small, but noticible, effect on the audio and video synching up. You might want to double check. Just a thought.

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
That's a good idea, I'll have to check that out when I get home. At the very least I might be able to compensate for it buy adjusting the values for distance from speaker.

Any other thought as to what might be causing this?

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
How is your DVD player hooked up? Does both audio and video go to your receiver or pre/pro? Or does the audio go into the receiver and the video straight to the monitor? If the former, I have heard cases of A/V synch problems when using different inputs for audio and video (e.g. DVD audio to CD input and DVD video to DVD input. When watching a DVD the receiver is asked to output video from DVD and audio from CD, sometimes causing synch problems.)

However I highly doubt this is how you have it set up. I believe Speaker Distance is your biggest culprit here.

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
Since it is a progressive scan DVD player, I have the component video cables going from the DVD player directly to the TV into the component Progressive input (video5), but the audio is going direclty to the Reciever via a digital coax cable. My reciever can do component video switching but since the comp video cables cost $100 I decided not to use that feature and go direct to the RPTV.

The digital audio input coax is configured to the DVD source on the reciever.

Do you think it would make that much of a difference that my video is not being routed through the reciever?

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
No the way you have it hooked up is the recommended way, esp. if you are using component out of the DVD. And I don't think it would make a difference but it might. I can't think of anything else...

Check yer Speaker Distances when you get home from work and let us know! Good luck!

kevitra

Second Unit
You have your system set up the way 95% of us do - component straight to the TV.

If it is not your speaker distance setting (which I am not thinking it is - .25 sec difference between video and sound seems like a lot), try to use the different sound outputs of the dvd player - even normal rca cables just to see if it happens with them.

FYI: I checked at the Spot Toshiba forum and there was only 1 post for your DVD player, and the owner did not mention a lip sync problem.

Good luck. Curious to see what it is (hopefully you prove me wrong and it is the distance setting - that is the easiest fix).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks