What's new

The Virginian (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/90#post_3677601
I had no idea whatsoever that they shot tv shows in color in 1962. I'm picking up the next volume in a week or so.
The 1950s Superman, Cisco Kid and a few others from the 1950s were shot in Color. (Color TVs back then must have cost a Pretty Penny!)/img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif but nonetheless they did exist! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Amazon's price is now $44.49!
People (like me) who ordered it already are covered by the price guarantee scheme, but at least since they (better than) "price matched" CD Universe, I guess Amazon is the cheapest now.

Cees

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not when you can still pick up the entire first season at Sam's Club for less than $40.
Originally Posted by Cees Alons /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/90#post_3680811
Amazon's price is now $44.49!
People (like me) who ordered it already are covered by the price guarantee scheme, but at least since they (better than) "price matched" CD Universe, I guess Amazon is the cheapest now.
Cees

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif">

Not when you can still pick up the entire first season at Sam's Club for less than $40.
True, but do they have Sam's Club in Amsterdam?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If it were legal (here), I'd send you the Sam's season 1 sets for some Space Cookies. /img/vbsmilies/htf/drool.gif
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/90#post_3680960
True, but do they have Sam's Club in Amsterdam? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll just go with Amazon's price now and wait, even if the packaging isn't as good as the split season version.

Originally Posted by Kruzer31 /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/90#post_3680758
I e-mailed Timeless inquiring if they were planning on releasing season 3 and forward. The reply was there are no plans at this time for releasing additional seasons. But it hadn't been ruled out. I would guess they are going to wait on see how the sales of season 1 and 2 go.
It would be disappointing if there are no additional seasons released, the prints used are excellent.
If nationwide sales are similar to my Local Sam's, it should be a no brainer. They can't keep The Virginian in stock. Both Season Sets have sold out already, almost twice.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I gotta say that I'm really enjoying these season sets. Besides the stellar visual presentation, I am constantly being reminded that these are just great little mini-western movies with good writing, mostly actual outdoor locations (sorry Bonanza), tremendously likeable regulars, and terrific guest appearances. Prime example; the Sam Fuller-directed episode, "It Tolls for Thee" with no less than Lee Marvin playing another great baddie. And my all-time favorite episode, "West."

I'm baffled at how they produced these 'featurettes' almost weekly for 30 episodes per season. That must have been some grueling schedule. Particularly when a good portion was shot on high altitude locations obviously a good distance from the usually scrubby Los Angeles foothills. (Lake Arrowhead? Big Bear?)

I thought I would remember these too well to enjoy watching them again (having seen many recently on Hallmark), but the presentation is so much crisper, and without the commercials, it's been a total joy to sit back on a Saturday afternoon and be surprised by the quality of this show all over again.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
at 75 minutes, these aren't mini-movies. these are considered feature film length at 75 minutes. That's a longer running time than a lot of the Universal classic horror flicks and plenty of crime films and detective series. Which does make it amazing to think they were able to work this fast and hard for a tv series.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You're right, they're only about 7-12 minutes shorter than most Bud Boetticher westerns and, sorry Randolph Scott fans, better IMO (or at least more varied in story/theme).

I watched the episode "West" again last night and was once again blown away by Douglas Heyes' directing (and writing) on that episode, as well as the great acting from Steve Cochran, Claude Akins, James Brown and Doug McClure. The story was rich, fast-paced (compared to many other episodes) and very innovatively shot. Many cowboys or gunslingers are killed in this episode, but the gunfights only focus on ECUs of the guns firing and not the targets or men getting hit. And the final gunfight takes place entirely off-camera and is simply reacted to by the ECU on Trampas' face. This is a bold and very emotional way to get the theme of a bygone era across (and at the same time deny western violence fans what they would normally expect). It was if the director deliberately decided, "Hey, YOU do the bloodshed in your own head in this one."

Of course all those artistic decisions could have been made based entirely on the director having blown the episode budget on some of his great tracking shots, the great montage of cowboy stock shots, and having nothing left for squibs, blanks, or pryotechniqes, and being forced to innovate. But that's the beautiful thing about films and TV - the collaboration between viewer and creator on the actual (or accidental) intent going in and the interpretation coming out.

Originally Posted by Corey3rd
at 75 minutes, these aren't mini-movies. these are considered feature film length at 75 minutes. That's a longer running time than a lot of the Universal classic horror flicks and plenty of crime films and detective series. Which does make it amazing to think they were able to work this fast and hard for a tv series.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I was at Sam's Club (Greensburg, PA) yesterday and bought the $19.88 each S1 part 1 and part 2 box sets with the slimcases.

But I also saw that they had a single copy of the embossed tin 10-disc set version on the shelf too. It was priced at $39.88. The tin was kind of neat, but I still decided I liked the slimcase packaging better.

Now to find the time to start watching these, with so many other unwatched sets I have waiting.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
My Costco hasn't had any "Timeless" releases for quite some time (a few years I would say). Can't say for all Costco's.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I have never seen any Timeless releases at my Costco, but they always have some at Sam's. This may be something that varies from region to region. I've visited enough locations of both chains around the country to notice that they tailor their inventory to the local demographic. And I'm almost certain that each chain is given a limited exclusivity on certain releases.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
My first season tin arrived from Amazon today, and I'm very pleased with my purchase. The tin itself is a beaut. The detail stamped on the cover is impressive.

Looks like Timeless learned a few lessons from last year's Wagon Train tin. Instead of a board book, this book has pages of thin cardboard glued together to form envelopes that the DVDs slide into from the right hand edge. This is much less damaging than the earlier design, and protects the DVDs better.

But I wasn't going to store my DVDs in this book anyway, and here is where the genius of the design comes in. Once I'd put all eleven discs in flapped envelopes, I decided to slip the flaps into the appropriate page openings. And guess what? The book expands to accommodate the DVDs stored this way, and still fits into the tin.

Almost as if Timeless was expecting me to do this. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I tried that trick since I would have liked to have a way of keeping the discs in the book while feeling secure but the paper sleeves wouldn't fit in them no matter how much I tried. So instead the book stays out for me to consult, while I put five slimline double disc cases inside the tin box for storage on the shelf.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The sleeves won't fit into the slots in the book, but the flaps on my sleeves do. I was just going to put the sleeves in between the book's pages, but decided to try slipping the flaps into the page slots just to hold the DVDs in place. And it works surprisingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks