What's new

The Virginian (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Finally coming to DVD. Of all westerns shows, this is the one I like the best, then Cimarron Strip, Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Big Valley in that order.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I imagine that Universal has to remaster because they lost their tape vault in the fire. If that didn't happen, they would use decades old tape transfers.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian#post_3619833
I imagine that Universal has to remaster because they lost their tape vault in the fire. If that didn't happen, they would use decades old tape transfers.
Well,consitering show airs on RTV and had aired on Canada's old LONE STAR westerns channel, the old tape transfers do exist.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian#post_3603597
Pity that Doug McClure didn't live to see this, but at least we may get James Drury to provide something for extras. Also: Roberta Shore, Sara Lane and Don Quine.
James Drury IS doing an interview for the discs! I just found this (from August 12th) on his MySpace page:
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]The Virginian TV series is being officially released on DVD by Timeless Media! This is the company that released Wagon Train, Laramie, Laredo, etc. They have acquired all eight seasons of The Virginian and season nine, Men From Shiloh.
James Drury will be doing a 45 minute video with them to be incorporated into the DVDs. The way we understand it, The Virginian Series will be released by season. We don't have a time frame at the moment but we'll get back to you.
[/COLOR]

Real Name
Duh.
Wondering if any fans here who might have taped episodes or have access to some, cna help. I am trying to compile a list of the composer for each episode of the seires. Thus far I have done about 93% of the whole series, but still ahve some unsolved. Anybody help? Here is the list thus far:
http://tvscores.150m.com/Virginian.html

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's announced on Amazon: two box sets of season 1 for a start.
The Virginian - Season 1, Part 1! Over 19 hours on 6 DVDs!
The Virginian - Season 1, Part 2! Over 19 hours on 6 DVDs!
I pre-ordered it, although the price is a bit high currently ($ 63 each). But I trust it may come done, and even if it isn't: I don't want to give the wrong signal.
This is my most-awaited Western TV series.
(Immediately followed by Alias Smith and Jones, of which we currently have the first season only, unfortunately, and High Chaparral.)
Excellent news, you may take a look at TVShowsOnDVD as well! That's how I found out about the release.
Cees

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
Yes $126 For One Season Is a Bit Steep But Im Sure Buyers Will Be Able To Do a Lot Better. I Saw it in Target Over Here in OZ For $64,And Pacific Has it For $72 For The 1st Season.The Virginian is One Of My Favourite Westerns They Just Screened Episode 166 Last Weekend Which Was a Beauty And i Believe They Have Just Started Showing It On Starz ,Its a Show All Western Fans Should Have In Their Collection.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I also expect that when these sets arrive at Sam's Club, the price will be considerably less.
For example, Timeless lists Wagon Train S1 for $79.98. Sam's sold it for $39.88. Also, the two Tales of Wells Fargo sets have the same number of DVDs and the same price as The Virginian -- $69.98. Sam's sells those for $29.97.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While I don't know how many people get the Encore Western channel, it will be interesting to see how the fact the Virginian started airing this year will impact sales in March for this release.

- Shows like this are a bit before my time so I've never seen it. Having had success blind buying other early westerns I would have probably done so again, but now I get to preview it first to gauge my interest, which could go either way regarding a purchase.

- With the price being a bit high (even at its likely discount pricing) and the fact that many may have had a chance to watch the entire first season by the time this is released, likely purchaser's may feel they can hold off for a while and wait for really discounted prices later. Thus, potentially hurting future releases.

- Most likely every episode from all seasons (250+) will be aired in 2010 and could easily be watched or DVR'ed (Encore presents uncut episodes with decent quality), so why spend a lot on season one and then wait for season two anywhere from 6 months to a year later (if it even still comes out).

- Or, this could all just be a stimulus for the show increasing sales because people want the better quality and want to support future releases.

I think it will be interesting to see how this all works out for Timeless Media from a "timing" perspective given their release schedule and the Encore availability before they release.

Paramount should benefit with Gunsmoke since Encore is starting with season 7, so any new interest could help sales of the available earlier seasons.

Also, HQWT and the release of season 4, may work out well for Paramount since Encore is starting by airing season 1 and will most likely be getting to season 4 when the DVD's are released.

Anyone have an opinion as to how this will fair for the upcoming Virginian release?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Often an older show is suddenly broad-casted again when it's put on DVD and/or BD. I suspect that this is caused by two mechanisms: (1) the producing studio wanting to raise (new) interests and (2) the show being available on a handy format for the broadcasting studio.

Cees

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I caught a bit of the Virginian, I'm not a fan of the 90 minute format it draws out the stories a bit too much. I prefer 30 minute westers max 1 hour...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's interesting.
Back then, the 90 min. duration was seen as one of the great advantages of this series. Stories were better drawn out, we used to say ( /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif ) and characters got a chance to be painted with more depth, detail and nuance. Each episode was almost a whole movie.
Cees

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well may because today 30 min shows are about 19 min sans commercials and don't have time to present coherant storylines, that I can appreciate a show like HGWT and the Rifleman, that were able to have fantastic stories albeit with a bit more running time 26 minutes.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I remember reading something once regarding which were better the 30 minute Gunsmoke episodes or the 60 minute episodes. It insinuated that when Gunsmoke went to a 60 minute format it suffered initially because the writers were used to the 30 minute timeslot and just stretched their stories out to fit the additional time.

This made me think differently about the whole question of what is the better structure for a show. In the end, I concluded that neither is actually better but that it all depends on the writing. So while a longer show has an opportunity to delve farther into the story and characters, it doesn't automatically mean it will be better if they don't use the extra time wisely.

I find the 60 minute format works well for Rawhide and Wagon Train, but I also find that the 30 minute format for the early Gunsmoke and the HGWT shows works equally well. While I recorded several Virginian episodes I haven't watched any yet to know how well I like the 90 minute format. I like westerns so hopefully I will find that the stories fit the time made available.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I must add, that when I saw the series on TV, here in Europe, back in the sixties, commercials weren't there. So we used to see it just like on the DVD-to-come as 75-minutes long episodes (sometimes even a "double" episode, if I remember well).

Cees

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
They are also currently being televised on Encore Western as 75 minutes. While they have plenty of filler before and after to fill the 90 minute time slot, the episodes themselves are uncut.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by gardnerp /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/30#post_3649248
So, The Virginian is on DVD now?
Both halves of Season One will be available on March 9, 2010.
But...hmm...I was just thinking: is this thing gonna fly? Because I just looked at the amazon listings; both halves list at $69.98 each. And amazon's discount seems less generous than usual; they're offering them for $62.99, which is still way too much for a half season of anything. I can't imagine a series flying off the shelves at $140 per season, regardless of the fact the episodes were 90 minutes.
So let's see...9 seasons, cut in half, that's 18 dvd releases at $70 each...hmmm...well, whoever really wants "The Viriginian" is going to have to shell over $1200 for the series, even with amazon's discount. Add this to the fact that Timeless is notorious for its cheesy-looking packaging. No matter what they do, their boxes always looks like cheapola PD junk. Now amazon has yet to produce the artwork for these sets, but if past is precedent, the sets will look like they're from the bargain aisle at Target. And yet they want people to spend $70 on them. Hmm...I dunno, guys, I hope I'm wrong, but taking all this into account, I don't think season one is going to sell all that well... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks