What's new

The view from top of.... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
NY! The highest point in NY, or Mt. Marcy at 5344ft

Here's a Panoramic of the place as taken by this rookie photographer using a Canon Powershot G3 and the Photostitch program.

Mt. Marcy

Seams are slightly visible, I need to figure out the best way to shoot panoramics where there are different focal points and lighting. Do you generally lock the Aperture and shutter speeds to avoid sections that are slightly off?

Jay

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Very cool! I kept wanting to drag the browser slider off the screen and go in circles. :)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Nice pic. You're right about the seams though. The camera has an exposure lock setting - turn it on, and all subsequent pictures will be taken at the same aperture and exposure times.

The trick for me is remembering to turn it off afterwards!

Dave

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I could make it into a QTVR, I have 3rd party software called Panoramic Factory that does that, but of course the QTVR is more space. I have another panoramic on top of Gothics but it's not as good as the Marcy one.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not too crazy, just wait a million years... The mountains out here are alot older than the rockies. Plus, the highest peak in NJ is like 1803ft, that you can drive to (High Point Monument).

I'll try to post some more pictures sooner or later. I'm too busy trying to print them all out.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The new and improved Marcy Panoramic, I tried the stitching using Panoramic Factory (V2.4) and it seems the seams are better stitched and the colors are a little bit better represented, a little sharper. PF is a lot slower than PhotoStitch probably cause it has more touchups and enhancements to the stitch region. The link is the same though.

I've got one of Gothics and Armstrong but they're kind of big, Marcy just happens to be around 534K, unlike Gothics at 1.5Meg...

Jay

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Not too crazy, just wait a million years... The mountains out here are alot older than the rockies. Plus, the highest peak in NJ is like 1803ft
you can drive to pike's peak around here, I think it's just a touch over 14,000 feet :eek:

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
you can drive to pike's peak around here, I think it's just a touch over 14,000 feet
I tried driving to the top of Pike's Peak (is that a redundacy?) once: in a rental car, in August....right before we chugged, chugged, chugged to the top, a blizzard came roaring in, we got scared, and a Ranger made us stop, turn around, and go back.

Colorado, gotta love the weather. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I tried driving to the top of Pike's Peak (is that a redundacy?) once: in a rental car, in August....right before we chugged, chugged, chugged to the top, a blizzard came roaring in, we got scared, and a Ranger made us stop, turn around, and go back.
I haven't been up there! my car is turbocharged so I think it would fare better than my friends and family that also chugged all the way, but who knows. Maybe this weekend I'll head up, it's fairly expensive though :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jay T, actually the software will print them out in on standard 8.5" x 11" paper and split the images. They'll also overlap them so you don't lose any part because of the printer margins. If you were to print them out as a landscape and retain the OAR, you'd make the print so small. However, if you could get some banner photo paper, that would be cool, but I think the market isn't out there... At least I've never heard of paper made for panoramas...

Re: Driving up Pike's Peak..

Nahhh, you guys need to go up in a 1100HP Audi 4WD race cars...
Don't they have a bike race up Pike's Peak?

Jay

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Jay,

Using an Epson Sytlus Photo 2200 with roll photo paper you can print up to 13" x 129"! The paper is available on Epson's web site if it's not available locally. But then you would need to get your hands on the 2200 printer.

Your photo would look awsome on 13" roll paper.

Jay T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks