What's new

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last week, I'd watched "The Great War" documentary on World War 1 on PBS. They've previewed this upcoming documentary so I'm looking forward to watching it in September. I'm happy to see this will be on Blu-ray as "The Great War" was only released on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Did you ever see Ken Burns' THE WAR?

One of my favorites. Waiting for a price drop on that one. I own the DVD but want it on Blu.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Ken Burns never misses. I wish his stuff had been around during my high school days. I would have actually enjoyed my history classes instead of dreading them.

Also, ever since seeing The Civil War documentary years ago, I have had a slow piano rendition of "The Battle Cry of Freedom" rattling around in my head. Can anyone make it go away?!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I hope it will be as good as Vietnam: A Television History that was shown on PBS in 1983 and that was a great documentary on that war.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, the PBS Series from the 80's is great.
Also the Canadian Doc, Vietnam: The 10,000 Day War narrated by Richard Basehart is also excellent.
It will be interesting to see what and if Burns can add to the 2 above.

Also saw The Great War on American Experience. Loved it.
WWI really is an unmined subject as far as video docs go, imo.
Obviously WWII had been done to the nth degree.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, on Vudu I viewed the 25 minute segment on the making of this documentary and I think most people are going to be very please with this documentary. It starts on September 17th on PBS. I already pre-ordered this from Amazon.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Yesterday, on Vudu I viewed the 25 minute segment on the making of this documentary and I think most people are going to be very please with this documentary. It starts on September 17th on PBS. I already pre-ordered this from Amazon.

I watched the making of segment on my PBS station a few hours ago. As a Navy Vietnam vet (aircraft carrier) I'm really looking forward to this. I have Vietnam: A Television History on DVD, but that was aired in 1983 and much more is known, from both sides, 34 years later.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I watched the making of segment on my PBS station a few hours ago. As a Navy Vietnam vet (aircraft carrier) I'm really looking forward to this. I have Vietnam: A Television History on DVD, but that was aired in 1983 and much more is known, from both sides, 34 years later.

I didn't know that, Rich. Thank you very much for your service,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Once this documentary airs, I wonder how many of our opinions about the Vietnam War will change? On that making of documentary, there was an audio clip in which LBJ expressed his concern in getting us more involved in that war back in 1964. I kind of wish he followed his instinct in that regard.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I love documentaries from Ken Burns.

I knew nothing about the Civil War and his documentary was an enjoyable, educational treat.

As a fan of WWII, I was really taken back by THE WAR which was so well done -- and again -- turned out to be educational and highly entertaining.

I know little about Vietnam. I was a child during that war and once again, I am in the mood for a learning experience.

The problem with these Blu-rays is that they are very, very expensive. I am still waiting for THE WAR to drop in price before I buy it. These PBS releases are really out of reach price-wise and they rarely drop in price.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, it's expensive, but it's 18 hours long documentary and being a history buff, it's a must own for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hear 'ya. It took me years until I bought THE WORLD AT WAR set. Very pricey. Had to wait for a price drop. However, I must say, it would have been worth the purchase at full price. My issue is that I am still buying a lot of titles every month and these expensive documentaries get moved to the back burner.

Did you see Ken Burns' THE WAR, Robert? I loved it!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hear 'ya. It took me years until I bought THE WORLD AT WAR set. Very pricey. Had to wait for a price drop. However, I must say, it would have been worth the purchase at full price. My issue is that I am still buying a lot of titles every month and these expensive documentaries get moved to the back burner.

Did you see Ken Burns' THE WAR, Robert? I loved it!
TBH, I probably get more out of these documentaries than I do with the majority of my film title purchases.

Yes, I've watched The War twice and will probably revisited it again after I'm done with Vietnam.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think the price on THE WAR is the same as Amazon. About $60 when all is said and done with PBS discount.

I have it on DVD, but wanted to upgrade it to Blu-ray even though I don't know if I will ever get the chance to watch it again on that format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the price on THE WAR is the same as Amazon. About $60 when all is said and done with PBS discount.

I have it on DVD, but wanted to upgrade it to Blu-ray even though I don't know if I will ever get the chance to watch it again on that format.
It's $57.75 at Amazon from one of their sellers, westcoastmedia.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's all about value which is why I'm rethinking my purchases of mediocre films on Blu-ray and concentrating with my future purchases on favorite or good-excellent films. Discs I know I'm going to watch and not just sit in one of my book shelves without ever watching it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's the rut I am stuck in and I think I am going to follow your path and make some changes so that I only buy what is truly valuable to me. Probably going to preorder VIETNAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks