What's new

The very best reciever for under 300.00 is... (1 Viewer)

Chase

Agent
If i cant get my kennwood reciever to stop clicking out on me(more on that here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=102607
I want to get a new reciever for under 300.00
I have see some good names but I don't know whats the best.
What is a good one to look for?
I want at least 100 watts per channel and DTS and DD decoding and mostv importantly to last for at least 8 years.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
well, you can search around, might find a bargain. look on ebay. you can pick up pretty sweet deals there. a pioneer vsx-d511 for 139.00 or an onkyo sr500? not sure on the proper number. for around 200 and some change...that is two that caught my eye...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Recommendations, using MSRP (your mileage and your savings will vary if you shop the Net)...
1. Denon 1403 (5 channel), $299.99. If you can stretch another $50, Denon 1602 at $349.99.
2. Onkyo TX-SR500 (5 channel), $299.99.
3. Sony STR-DE685 (5 channel), $299.99.
Keep in mind...
1. Haven't heard the Kenwood VR-6050, the Pioneer VSX-D711 or the Panasonic SA-HE100, all of which retail for $299.99. They all have their advocates on this board, especially the Panasonic of late has had some good notices.
2. I'll probably be flamed for recommending the Sony unit above, but in that price range, compared to its competition, I don't think it's an order of magnitude inferior to the low-end Denon or Onkyo units, and it's fairly feature-rich and tweakable.
3. How did you arrive at 8 years?!? That seems an odd number to pick; why not 5, 7 or 10? At any rate, I think you'll get more than a few years of performance, but planned obsolescence will do you in well under 8 years.
--AM

Chase

Agent
I said 8 years because thats how long I think it will be before I spend around 10k or more on a THX system with projector. I want this one to last me all threw college and until I can afford a very nice THX system.

I am only a freshmen in college after all.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Cut it down to 4 years and save up for a $1000 receiver. I wouldn't plan on using any HT control unit for much longer than that.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Take a look at the Panasonic SA-HE100 it can be had for $250 delivered online or the Pioneer 811 for around $300. Both receivers have the built in amp. for the rear center speaker for Dobly EX & DTS ES. Do a search on this forum & you will be able to get info on both of them. Hope this helps you out :D

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yeah the panny or pioneer are great receivers. the panny seems a little on the "flimsy" side. not built like the pioneer recevier but has awsome features!

Chase

Agent
thnaks, If for some reason i bought a reciever with 6.1 channels, could I buy an extra surrund speaker from kenwood ( I bought the speakers and reciever in a box deal a while back, only 5 speakers and a sub)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would also recommend the Pioneer 811S. I had it, and it's a great receiver. It's probably the second best receiver under $500 retail (behind the Denon 1803, which i have now, it was a free upgrade from the 811S so i went for it, long story).

I have the 1803 now, and it doesn't sound noticeably better than my 811S. It is built a little better, w/ aluminum front panel and knobs. The remote on the 811S is easier to use than the 1803. The 1803 also has pre-outs for all channels, which is necessary if you want to add external amplification on down the road.

The build quality of the Panasonic HE100 is so low that i wouldn't even consider it next to the 811S.

As for getting another kenwood speaker, you might be able to call their service department and inquire about a replacement. If you don't have luck w/ that, I would suggest replacing your mains and moving the current mains back to the rear in a 7.1 setup. If you did this, though, you'd probably want to replace your center channel too, and i know how stuff can just keep piling up, so sticking w/ a 5.1 speaker setup for now wouldn't be much of a downfall, especially if you're in a smaller room.

Regardless of weather you decide to use the 811S's 6.1/7.1 abilities, i would still suggest it over the 711 or other 5.1 receivers because it gives you the option of moving up to 6.1/7.1 whenever you want to.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for correcting my typo. I meant to put that the 811S has preouts and the 1803 doesn't. This somewhat surprised me when i got my 1803. It surprised me even more when research showed that the 2802 also doesn't have preouts for all channels (although it does have L/R/C/Sub). You have to go all the the way up the Denon ladder to the 3802/3803 to get full preouts.

Thanks again for the correction, and hope all this helps.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I suggest the 811 also. But if you hang out here long enought 8 yrs will soon be 8 months. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks