The Verdict special edition DVD region 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by andySu, Oct 5, 2006.

1. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Apr 7, 2006

By Andy

Sidney Lumet’s gritting court room drama about a down and out alcoholic attorney Frank Galvin played by Paul Newman comes across case that may help him to redeem himself into something better. The pace of the film is rather slow, but it’s good slow 2 hours 13 minutes from interviewing witness to gartering vital evidence causal to the case. During his many trips to the local bar he meets a woman Laura Fischer played by Charlotte Rampling, who’s looking for an apartment in Boston. While meeting several times at the bar Frank decides to take her back to his home.

Mickey Morrissey, is Frank’s right hand assistant played by the late Jack Warden who recently passed away this July 19th 2006 gave a nice supporting role. Has the film slowly unwraps Frank has a bigger problem the defending attorney Ed Concannon played by James Mason, who turns out to be a real nasty piece of work who will go to any length to disrupt the case only to try and win it.

Galvin: "Well...You know, so much of the time we're just lost. We say, "Please, God, tell us what is right. Tell us what is true."

I mean there is no justice. The rich win; the poor are powerless. We become tired of hearing people lie. And after a time we become dead, a little dead. We think of ourselves as victims -- and we become victims. We become weak; we doubt ourselves; we doubt our beliefs; we doubt our institutions; and we doubt the law.

But today you are the law. You are the law, not some book, not the lawyers, not a marble statue, or the trappings of the court. See, those are just symbols of our desire to be just. They are, in fact, a prayer, I mean a fervent and a frightened prayer.

In my religion, they say, "Act as if you had faith; faith will be given to you."

If we are to have faith in justice we need only to believe in ourselves and act with justice. See, I believe there is justice in our hearts."

Frank Galvin: The verdict 1982

Image: Framed in the 1.85:1 W/S aspect ratio, the framing is very wide and distant in some of the court room scenes, but when the camera slowly starts to move in closer towards the final out come in the court room the tension builds up. Skin tones and sharpness that is presented in this special edition region 2 single disc shows little grain. Lighting the film in darker scenes is also clear natural and textures for a film that is 23 years old.

Sound: Mostly dialogue orientated throughout with clear intelligibility with the THX sound system, mildly loud sounds of the pinball machine at the start, with brief moments of purse, while Newman picks up a glass of Scotch, and has he takes down the drink all the detail in the recording mix is kept ambient along with backgrounds, surrounds use is very sparingly

In a word: So you have to see the film, which is powerful court room drama, and decide for yourself, I thought I would be bored within a few minutes but it kept my attention from beginning though to the final end credit.

Extras: Running audio commentary with Paul Newman and others • Featurette • Theatrical trailer • Behind the scenes Still gallery • Interactive Menus • Scene Access

Technical details

Certificate: 15

Region 2

Aspect ratio: W/S 1.85:1 Panavision® (anamorphic enhanced)

Running 123 minutes

Colour: Technicolor®

Cinema sound realise: 35mm stereo surround

DVD sound realise: Dolby 2.0 (monaural-surround)

Year of realise: 1982

DVD year of realise: 2005

Picture 9/10

Sound 7/10

Overall rating 9/10

Presentational playback:

Fader: 0db THX reference level

Sound system: JBL

Sound indicator: Dolby 2.0 surround

Maximum loudness: 90dbc!
  2. Jacqui

Jacqui Stunt Coordinator

Feb 23, 2006
    Fox in the UK is releasing a 2 disc edition as part of its Cinema Reserve Collection. It is due out on March the 19th, 2007.
  3. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Dec 13, 2006
    Thanks very much, but is this DVD already available?
  4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aug 3, 2002