The verdict is WOW

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alan M, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

As some of you may know,last week I ordered a set of Magnepan MMG's for fronts,MMGw's for surrounds and a MMGC for a center.

This is my 1st attempt at using planar speakers in HT setup.The speakers arrived yesterday,and I spent most of the afternoon hooking them up and calibrating.Magnepan calls for a 150 hour break in period.This is one of the reasons they offer a 60 day trial rather then a 30 day.

The speakers are being pushed by the outlaw 950/7100 combo.Maggies are 4 ohm speakers.Placement is even more important on planars and I've yet to find the perfect spot.

I'd heard that the Maggies would be a little brite to begin with until they break in and I've found this to be true.Its not an annoying briteness but its there.

The testing started with two channel stereo.The 1st thing I noticed was the sound field,huge doesnt even come close to describing it.Wide open ,you are there kind of sound is more accurate.Yes I was amazed.Piano's in particular,but all instruments are stunning to listen to on the maggies.Talk about uncolored sound,wow.

One of my concerns was how well the MMGC center would fit in the the MMG's for a fluid flow of sound in HT mode.The MMGWC is a planar speaker that is bowed and has feet to sit on top of my RPTV.Lots of folks I talked to are running Maggies in phaetom center mode.I shouldnt have worried .The MMGC blended well with the MMG's.In HT mode, sound seemed to float across the center soundstage.
    Using the LOTR dvd and the U571 dvd,I sat back and waited to be enveloped in sound.I was not disappointed.The rear MMGW's matched well and really filled the blank spots in my HT.Clarity of sound is most impressive.Sound moving around my HT was smooth,and well blended.Female voices are somewhat thin,but as I mentioned above,I think this will resolve itself during breakin.

The only cons I've found so far are,a little on the brite side(until break in completes),and a narrower sweet spot then I'm used to.
    Taking into consideration the cost of this 5 speaker setup,$1350 delivered 2nd day,I am so far,extremely pleased.

Sorry if the review sounds somewhat fanboi,but its the only the 1st day with my new setup and I feel like a kid in a candy store.

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

It doesn't sound fanboi (it that french?).

Thanks for sharing your impressions so far [​IMG]

3. Chris Fleming

I've looked at the same set-up a time or two. Hard to beat the price. You mentioned a narrower sweet-spot. I thought the maggies were supposed to give a much larger sweet spot, due to the large sound field. Can you elaborate a bit?

Also, are you running with a sub? ( I assume you are). Which one, and how does it blend with the maggies?

Thanks!

4. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Thanks for the replys.glad it doesnt sound fanboi.

The sweet spot isnt really smaller, finding the right distance from the front and side walls is the challenge.Being planars,sound comes out the front and back of the speaker,so placement can affect sound to a great degree,more so then is normal(IMO).The sweet spot does seem narrow for the mains so far.I think this will change as the mylar breaks in.

For a sub,I'm using an older Athena model,P-2,dont think they are made anymore.Crossover on the MMGW's,should be at 100 sub is set at 100,it goes down to 25(never measured,Athena spec sheet).

So far,its all been well worth it.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Alan:
    Thanks for the feedback.....glad you like the new Maggies [​IMG]

What color did you decide on? And trust me, you'll be quite happy once they break in.....it's more noticable for 2-channel music than HT, but you'll definitely notice it.

6. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Hi Alan,

Great name by the way.I never thought the color choice would be difficult until I went and started ordering.All the color choices sounded good but I picked the black with oak trim and it looks very rich.

Thanks for your advice and support.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Sounds great, hard to touch that setup anywhere near the price. I found I preferred the 1-ohm resistor on the MMG tweeters,but that's pretty room-dependent. I didn't like the MMGW as mains, but I'm sure they'd be excellent as surrounds...that's the way I'd go.

[​IMG] Hearing MMG's is more of a revelation, less of a lateral move, than jumping to another cone speaker.

8. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Alan. I am looking and these speakers also. May I ask where you got them from? If you got a price to what you paid for all 5 speakers, please share, if not please PM me in private.

I am really interested in this same setup as you. Thanks Mike

9. mike_frontier

Also how far do you sit back versus your theater room size?

**Note: I just called magnepan and found out these speakers only sell direct.

[​IMG]

10. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Howdy Mike,
    Yep,ordered the speakers direct from Magnepan.

My HT room is 18x12.I sit 16 feet from the front wall(65" rptv).The MMG fronts I pull about 3 feet out into the room(for serious listening).The MMGW's in the rear are about 2 feet away.

11. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

First.. congrats on your new speakers.. like a kid in a toy store isn't it... I might suggest a simple fix for that bright sound... turn the treble down a couple of notches on your receiver or pre/pro. Easy fix until break in and will sound better on your ears in the mean time....

12. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Alan M

This is Alan P. As Alan Z can tell you, I've been extremely happy with my 5.1 maggie system. I have the MG1.6Q/R's for mains, MC1 for surrounds, and CC3 for center.

Currently, I am only using the 1.6's in a 2 channel music only system. Since I have moved in to a new house, I have put together a nice B&W / SVS/ Pioneer Elite HT in my family room. BTW, I just purchased a MartinLogan Depth sub to go with my 1.6's in that 2 channel system. (The ML Depth is a better mate with the maggies than the SVS....quicker, and more musical)

I spent about 2 hours at a local high end shop the other day listening to the MG3.6R's. What a fantastic speaker. As I told Alan Z, I may sell all 5 of my present maggies and step up to the 3.6's!!

But I just wanted to let you know that in my old house, the 5.1 maggie HT sounded AWESOME!! just remember to give your new maggies time to break in, and position them as best you can!! ENJOY!!

13. mike_frontier

I just found out that my Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver can handle 4Hz-88kHz (6 ohms, 0.9% THD) , so it looks like these maggies are 4ohms,, I think my amp will not play them [​IMG]

14. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

The 'Alans' are taking over the WORLD!!! [​IMG]

Alan M., you got the combination I wish I would have gotten. I ended up with black and black, and while it looks really cool up close I think I like the looks of your color combo better overall. Nice choice [​IMG]

Alan P., you'll definitely have to let me know if you go with the 3.6s. Those are some beautiful speakers.......if you sold off your Maggie HT in order to upgrade to those, I'd be able to forgive you [​IMG]

15. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

It must be an Alan's world.
    [​IMG]

The Maggies are slowly breaking in and the briteness is there but nothing like it was the 1st day.As of today,thursday,they are working on the 16 hour mark.I know they will change much much more over time.

While I bought the Maggies for HT,I'm finding myself listening to music much more often then before.The MMG's in stereo mode are truly an amazing speaker.

I'm envious of you Alan P. getting the higher end Maggies.If you do get them ,let us know your impressions and differences from your current Maggies.

16. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Alan M.,

That's funny, cause that's the exact same thing I found after picking up my MMGs lol. I had to sell of my old rig due to an unexpected divorce, and the Maggies seemed like a great way to get something going again for cheap. I didn't expect to be as taken by them as I have been. But anyway, my point is that I am mostly an HT person yet I, too, have found myself listening to music much more often than before. My favorite instrument is the human voice; I have never heard it sound as beautiful as it does with these speakers.

By the way, in case you guys weren't aware of it, "Alan" is the orginal spelling of the name......all those "Allens" are a bunch of Johnny-come-lately's lol. On top of that, the original meaning of our name is "handsome leader" [​IMG]

17. mike_frontier

Found out that my amp will push these maggies [​IMG] weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

18. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Alan Pummill: You know you want the 20.1's, why mess around? Get what you *really* want! [​IMG]

19. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Congrats Mike,you wont be disappointed.

"On top of that, the original meaning of our name is "handsome leader"

Alan Z,
    I dont think I'll tell my wife this.Just thinking about it,I can hear her laughing already.

I'm mostly an HT person also but,For my music listening,I'll listen to classical and rock.My wife listens to jazz and shes mentioned how much better it sounds on the Maggies(of course I had to agree she could buy a new couch if I was buying new speakers,lol).

20. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

if you love the MMG's, you definately owe it to yourself to try the higher end ones... i had the 1.6's, now i have an older pair of rare tympani 1D's (they are 6 panels for a stereo setup), and they are amazing.