What's new

The Venerable Max von Sydow Has Passed Away at 90 (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A true acting giant passed away today. I pulled out a few of his films that I have on blu-ray. I think I'll see the 4K restored version of The Seventh Seal on the Criterion box followed by The Diving Bell and The Butterfly this evening.
IMG_0823.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One film of his I always wanted to watch -- and it was due to the haunting cover art -- was THE SEVENTH SEAL.

What a fantastic film!

And of course, most memorable in THE EXORCIST and more recently, THE FORCE AWAKENS.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've always loved the fact that Mr. von Sydow appeared to be game to take on practically any role, and he excelled at them all.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One film of his I always wanted to watch -- and it was due to the haunting cover art -- was THE SEVENTH SEAL.

What a fantastic film!

And of course, most memorable in THE EXORCIST and more recently, THE FORCE AWAKENS.

Totally agree. Iconic. I would place it among my three top favourite Criterion covers.
IMG_0824.jpg

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've always wondered if his character in The Seventh Seal inspired the look of Roy Baty in Blade Runner.

165870-85024-roy-baty.jpg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of the great actors and liked his performance as Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon, Three Days of the Condor and The Seventh Seal.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Max was one of the greats, sad news.

R.I.P.

I'll be watching The Exorcist again as a tribute, still my favorite modern horror film.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
He had one of those awesome sounding voices that I've always envied. Great actor. RIP.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I loved him in The Virgin Spring - my first Bergman so I've always had a soft spot for it. Rest in Peace.
The Virgin Spring was the first film I saw Von Sydow in as well. I was all of 11, and I never forgot that imposing figure of a man exacting revenge on the 3 men. So I can say I basically grew up watching Von Sydow on screen. All the Bergmans, Pelle the Conqueror, The Emigrants, The New Land, The Exorcist, etc. He was always in my life...and now he's gone. Hard to believe. Ninety years...time to rest.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another one of the true greats leaves us, and I am very, very sad. He never gave a bad performance, and for someone with such a slight physique, he carried tremendous power and authority. He's truly menacing in Three Days of the Condor, and of course his work with Ingmar Bergman is unparalleled. R.I.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks