What's new

The Velvet Underground & Nico (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I should just PM Rachael about this, something tells me she's going to be the resident expert.
I let a friend gift me with "The Velvet Underground & Nico" recently while we were in a record store.
It was so sweet because this particular friend was born 8 years after the album was recorded.
She asked me if I had it and I replied that I had always had it, starting with the LP, but that right now I was "between copies".
I was wrong, I still had at least the CD version.
One problem with having several thousand albums is that you're not always sure what all is in there.

You know, there was actually a point to this thread and I'd like to get there.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My TWO versions of TVU&N are on different labels.
Maybe one is considered BETTER!

I've got Verve 823 290-2 and Polydor 31453 1250 2.

This would be where we separate the real hipsters from the boys.

For you youngsters out there, we're talking about the Andy Warhol banana album cover.

At this stage, Polydor is ahead just because their cover has the little note, "Peel Slowly And See".

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
True enough. I'm one of those who own thousands of LPs and CDs. And the collection continues to grow each day (and truth be told, much faster than my DVD collection). Years ago, I wanted to catalog everything (including complete contents notes) I own--books, CDs, DVDs, LPs, SCs, serials, tapes, realia, etc.--but realized it would take too long. I'm just too busy writing books these days to have any time left over to catalog them at home.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hey, you guys sound like you'd know: what is Nico's best best-of cd? Is "Innocent & Vain: An Introduction to Nico" good?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Will,

I wish I could help you there. I love the album first mentioned above, and a couple of others of the Lou Reed-led group. I don't really know all that much about Nico musically (assuming you are speaking of her as a solo artist); I also don't really have much knowledge of Warhol, esp. musically. But I do love The Velvet Undergound & Nico, and rank that album very near the top of my list of greatest albums of that era (together with two or three albums by the Fab Four, including Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band). Maybe Henry or others may know?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I am, curiously, not a fan of the VU, so I'm looking for a collection that is focused on her. VU is just so dark and druggy, all the worst parts of the sixties (or what the 60s turned into, in the 70s) wrapped into one. I guess that was the point, but, I don't like it! Nico on the other hand, she reminds me of Dietrich or others who can't really sing but sing-talk through and succeed.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Will,

I agree about Nico's voice to some extent. There is something unusual about the overall timbre (specifically with regard to the lower-registered quality) which adds to the wonderful sonic experience that is in part The Velvet Underground.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

It's funny, I can't argue that with you, and I typically can't stand "druggy " jam bands like THE GREATFUL DEAD and that. I frickin love the Velvets though, and Lou Reed. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND might be one of the all time great albums.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah its no slam on the band, they're tight. Just not my style. Any input on a good Nico disc to start with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks