The Veil, starring Boris Karloff...any good? Best DVD to get?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeffrey Nelson, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I saw a set of 10 episodes of this apparently unbroadcast Karloff show going for $7.99 at Fred Meyer. On the Platinum label. Anyone have this? How's the A/V quality? Is this a good show? I'm a huge Karloff fan, so I'll probably end up getting it just for him, even if it isn't the greatest show in the world...

2. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

$7.99? I paid $11 for it from Best Buy with the sales tax!

It's not that great a show, but there were worse. The Veil was a low-budget anthology series produced in Great Britain. Several of the stories of psychic phoenomena were based on case files. It was an English "One Step Beyond", preceding that American series by half a season.

At least the film prints are in top-notch condition, and the presense of Boris Karloff as both host and occasional star give the short-lived series (10 episodes) some credibility. All of the episodes were produced in 1958, except the last one which is from 1959. It's quite possible that there was a gap in production, because when they came back after the new year started, the walls of the familiar living room set that Karloff introduced the stories from was rebuilt with nice wood paneling! The credits looked different too. This is not the kind of series good enough to be viewed more than once though.

I'm waiting for the 67 episodes of the very re-watchable Boris Karloff series Thriller from the early 1960s to be released on DVD. MCA / Universal needs to get on that! [​IMG]

3. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Just realized that Something Weird put these out on DVD thru Image a couple years ago, including a couple of bonus episodes of 13 Demon Street. Perhaps Platinum might have just ripped their transfers from that set. At any rate, I'm gonna pick these up, for the Karloff factor.

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Platinum? Bonus episodes? 13 Demon Street?

I have a professionally produced 3 disc set of the series with only 10 episodes of The Veil. These discs were manufactured and distributed in 2004 by Madacy Entertainment Group in Quebec. It's very easy to find here in southern California!

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Something Weird put this out a couple of years ago but since its a PD show, any of the vulture companies, such as Platinum and Madacy, can just pick up a copy and then start running it off on their label. Apparently that's what happened here.

6. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, for public domain the picture quality is first-rate and so is the packaging!