The Vanishing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryE, Mar 1, 2002.

1. LarryE

LarryE Stunt Coordinator

I just got through watching George Sluizer's The Vanishing, and was very impressed. I thought that the American version with Kiefer Sutherland was O.K, but I don't understand the dramatic changes in the 2 scripts. I realize that it was a marketing ploy by the US studio releasing the film, but I think they missed the boat, and took the punch out of the movie. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but this one is definately worth a watch.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Don't you know? We Americans just love happy endings! Ergo the script changes in the remake. [​IMG] I'll stick with the original, thank you very much. And yes, it is definitely worth a look! [​IMG]

3. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

They did the same thing with Diabolique - a classic French thriller (also out on DVD from Criterion). They tried to insert a happy ending and screwed up the remake (starring Sharon Stone).

4. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand why the studios think American audiences can't take anything other than a tidy, happy ending. A change in the ending of this movie would completely change the tone and flow of the movie. Sometimes life just doesn't have a happy Hollywood ending. Deal with it. This was a great movie and another find for myself with a Criterion DVD.

Henry