What's new

Blu-ray Review The Vampire Diaries Season 3 Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YM6JP0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004YM6JP0&linkCode=as2&tag=htfreviews-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YM6JP0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004YM6JP0&linkCode=as2&tag=htfreviews-20

As a whole, we’re talking a few seconds out of each episode.. but it’s enough that I can’t really give it the equivalent of a “B”

Audio Quality 4.5/5

While I think something went wrong with the video, something definitely went right with the audio. Presented in DTS-MA 5.1, the audio mix here is incredibly effective for a television series. Clear movements of creatures from the rear forward and vice versa give you a great soundstage and make this a joy to listen to. For while I disappointed with the video quality, the audio quality can snap you back into a title with great special effect sequences that absolutely work.

Extras: 2.5 / 5

The Producers Pages – 23 Minutes – This is a series of short features about the production of the series. It’s a passable behind-the-scenes featurette.

The Original Vampires – 22 Minutes – This is one of the more confused extras on a disc in a while. It apparently was originally thought to be one thing, and then along the way it became something else. This is not really the story of the original vampires, it’s more a story of how composition in the writing room comes together.

Decent Into Darkness – 10 Minutes – This is a catch-up featurette, taking you from Stefan’s fall in Season 2 to his character arc in Season 3, and why it happened.

Favorite Scenes – 19 Minutes – a highlight reel. Yes, a highlight reel with as near as I can tell no real changes from the show you just watched.

Unaired Scenes: a few episodes have extra sequences “Ordinary People” “Our Town” and “All My Children”

Conclusion: 3 / 5

You know, I had debated a lot how to rank this. The problem I boil down to is a simple one: people buy a show or a series because they like the storyline. The storyline of Season 3 was not very effective and as a result, it significantly lowers my interest in recommending this on. The other problem is that the video quality is simply not what it should be for a series that originally aired in HD. In the end, if you’re a fan of the series, you’ll pick it up. But it’s hard to put a real recommend on it as it sits for those who watch passively. At best, give it a rent – after you’ve caught up on Season 2. And, for those who are fans of the show, Season 3 isn’t on the same level as Season 2.

6f85c30d_TVD3-2.png

1e7c8908_TVDS3-4.png

8b268066_TVDS3-3.png

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
After reviewing the second season last year, I was looking forward to this third season, but felt the show really jumped the shark early on in this third season, and only occasionally watch the current fourth season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks