What's new

International THE VALLEY (OBSCURED BY CLOUDS) - 1970 Film With Pink Floyd Score on UK Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Notes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.

upload_2016-3-8_10-46-12.png

Barbet Schroeder (BARFLY, REVERSAL OF FORTUNE) directed this film in 1972, early in his career. It is essentially a story about young French people at the tail end of the free-love, hippie era traveling to New Guinea and befriending the Mapuga tribe, where they explore their sexual freedom, indigenous hallucinogens, and interact with the natives. Not much of a plot, but a sort of cool movie, with the requisite rainforest scenery, beautifully filmed by Nestor Almendros (DAYS OF HEAVEN).

BFI in the UK has released a quite lovely Blu-ray of a film that, itself, has been obscured by clouds. It includes one of Pink Floyd's few movie scores (I always particularly liked the song "Free Four") and was released on LP early in their careers under the title "Obscured By Clouds" with no mention of THE VALLEY (the CD is available now). The film has been pretty much forgotten over the years due to its inaccessibility. There is nothing especially earth-shattering about it, but it quite handily nails the era of youth exploration.

The Region B-locked Blu-ray sports a 2.34:1 image that has a nice grain structure, is sharp, with nice color saturation and contrast. The language track is mono and primarily French, and English subtitles are available.

The list of extras is fairly extensive. There are optional alternate endings. There are three "ethnographic documentary shorts" by director Schroeder. Theatrical trailers for this film and for MORE and MAITRESSE. 24-page illustrated booklet. This is pretty much a no-brainer for Pink Floyd or Barbet Schroeder fans.

This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks