What's new

The V.I.P.s (1963) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Reading about the forthcoming Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple set reminded me, again, of how much I want to see The V.I.P.s.
It's one of those situations where I consider a VHS purchase. Wise Blood is another.
Many of us recall Helen Hayes portrayal of Ada Quonsett in Airport (1970) but if you want to know where that character came from, go back to The V.I.P.s and watch Margaret Rutherford as The Dutchess of Brighton.
In the early 1960s Liz Taylor & Richard Burton were making films with pop stars like Fabian, Tommy Sands, Eddie Fisher, Sal Mineo and Paul Anka. There are other people in those films too but I’m having fun distorting the record.
Then Queenie & Dick made Cleopatra (1963) and that began a series of films they did as a duo. The V.I.P.s. (1963), The Sandpiper (1965), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?(1966) and The Taming of the Shrew (1967).
I know I missed the laser disc opportunity, but could it really have been released as late as 1999 like the IMDB claims? That seems too late for an LD issue.
Anyway, I know many consider this film overwrought soap opera but among many other reasons to love it, it was the first time I saw Maggie Smith. At 29 she was pretty hot.
;)

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Henry, The V.I.P.s gets broadcast in a beautiful letterboxed print on TCM every now and then. According to their web site it's next showing is 10AM on January 11th. It really is a beautiful print they use, it'll hold you over nicely until a DVD release.

I agree that's it's overwrought soap opera, but it's extremely well done overwrought soap opera. I know what I'll be recording next Wednesday

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Steve.
Will there be a little TCM logo in the corner of the screen?
I'm always tempted by the wonders of DISH (no cable where I live) but the fact is I would only want 5% or so of any package they offer. And then there's that bug in the corner.
This would be a good time to ask someone to tape (no one does that anymore though).

SteveJKo

Second Unit
TCM does have a bug Henry. However, it isn't always there, just for a few seconds at the top of the hour or half hour.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Like this coming Sunday morning, and since I got DirecTV a few day ago I'll finally get to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks