The Usage of the Word "Heart"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Stupid question, but lately it's been bugging me.

When and why did the usage of heart come to infer more than the organ's real purpose? As in, "I just feel it in my heart..." "She broke my heart," and "Special place in my heart."

I know it's used in the Bible like this, so it at least goes back to the Romans. Lately, it infuriates me when people use this phrase, and I know it shouldn't. I'd just like to know where it came from.

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Do you also object to phrases like 'The heart of the city' and 'The heart of the matter'?
    I think it's more likely the word always meant the centre of something, and when doctors discovered the human organ that seemed so important to life they named it the heart after that meaning.
    So in a sense I think you should be asking when the organ first 'usurped' the word 'heart'!!! [​IMG]

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

It probably stems from the fact that it was once believed that the heart was the center of the body. The heart was responsible for emotion, for thinking, and for life. In essence it was the 'brain', the organ of utmost importance.
    So when someone says "my heart was broken" it implies the worst tragedy one can endure, for the very essence of being has been broken. The word "heart" is used in all these phrases to exaggerate the importance of the situation for the "heart" is held in the highest regard.
    Of course, this is just my interpretation and I do not claim it as fact. [​IMG]

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Sorry, that's my vernacular really. I would always 'object' to something I found irritating, while not actually meaning it in a strong sense!!
    I guess you are being anal but then sometimes you can just get bees in your bonnet about things. I'm sure it will pass. [​IMG]

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

7. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Ike,

In the Old Testament, the phrase for the seat of emotions was the bowels. This can be seen in Gen. 43:30 and at 1 Kings 3:26. These are in the King James Version, so other translations may have worded it differently. This does not imply that every time that the word bowel occurs that it is talking about the seat of emotions because, just like "heart" today, it can mean the actual body part.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Forgive me, Ike, but since you're interested in semantics:

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

From Dictionary.com:

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's a great explanation. Thanks for the link!

M.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I don't know about you guys, but I feel physical pain in there when the emotion is intense enough, especially negative ones (jealousy, some years ago). That of course has nothing to do with any heart disease. I thougt every one felt that way, but now the original question is making me wonder [​IMG]
    Also anyone who has been in love surely knows how it feels?
    --
    Holadem

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

13. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Because it just sounds better than "I love you from the bottom of my colon"? This is just my guess...

14. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Robert--exactly what I was thinking, or feeling, or...

15. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

When I was a little kid, and I would overhear someone using the expression "hard on," I thought they were saying "heart on." Of course, even at a young age, I understood that this phrase referred to sexual arousal, even if I had no comprehension of what that was.
    So, you wanna talk about confusion surrounding the use of the word "heart" and human emotions?
    [​IMG]
    Come to think of it, speaking of an organ which is given complete control over your "emotions"... [​IMG]

16. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

Ike: The common usage of heart as the metaphorical seat of all our emotions and feeling has always bothered me a bit, too... Especially when it's used to contrast thoughts with emotions... As in:
    Answer with your heart, not with your head...
    *GROAN* Your emotions are just as much a product of your mind as any logic or abstract thought... I suppose I object to it because so many people completely forget that it's only a metaphor.
    It may also be because I'm not religious... When people start to talk about the mind, the body, the heart and the soul like four different sides to themselves, it just seems nuts to me... I mean, to me it's clear that only 2 of the 4 actually exist... (And maybe only one, in fact, since there's ample evidence to suggest that the mind/consciousness is really only a side-effect or illusion of the brain...)

17. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

18. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Ike,
    When I saw your topic I thought you might be referring to another use of "heart." It goes back at least 30 years and was usually applied to some young man who needed legal aid, a bath and continuous anger management classes. Some family member or general toady was always proclaiming, "He's got a lot of har'-art. [​IMG]

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The usage arose at a time when very few people had any idea what the inside of a human body looked like, much less which organ did what. As noted, for many peoples in the ancient world, the seat of the emotions (and in some cases the intelligence) was the viscera - we still talk about "gut reactions" Nobody had any clear idea what the brain did, and almost nobody thought of it as the seat of thought. I don't know about the rest of you, but I do often "feel" emotions as physical sensations, in both the chest and the gut, so the connection seems natural. Once the usage was established it was unlikely that "technical" information about what organs actually did was going to change was what always, in essence, a metaphorical usage anyway. Does it bother you when someone says, of a brave person, "He's got guts"? There are plenty of technologically obsolete terms that continue in use because of sheer inertia, and nobody takes them too literally. Musicians still talk about "cutting a record" - which embraces two generations of obsolete technology. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

"Using your head" is like doing the analysis first to consider the ramifications of an reaction to certain stimuli. "Using your heart" is like reacting and responding to a certain stimuli with little regard to the consequences of that reaction.