What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Evan said:
Michael, I used regular RCA type connections for about 9 months when I first got my AVM-20 and then switched to all custom XLR cables that Vince Maskeeper made for me. I agree with Jack. My gear is more modest for sure (Odyssey Dual Mono Stratos as the main amp, Sherbourn 5/1500A for center and surround use) but I still noticed a significant improvement.
Interesting for the Stratos, as its balanced connectors do not have a balanced design behind them; they are internally connected directly to the corresponding RCAs. They are a convenience connector for those who have already invested in balanced cables.

Doug

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Minesh,

I build my own cables using Belden Quadra something or other (sorry, I just blanked on the exact name) and gold Neutrik connectors. I use them for all of my connections except for my rear speakers, since that amp does not accept them. One of these days when I replace the amp (Adcom 555), I will go to one with balanced inputs. All my other amps are balanced in. I have 1 Aragon 8008X3B, 1 Crown PB-1, 1 Crown K-2, and 1 Crown PSA-2. the last 2 power my 3 subs. I use Klipsch speakers for all my uppers. The Anthem sounds awesome, so open and natural with them and the amps.
That was an interesting comment about the Stratos amp. I have not heard of them, but if the XLR connectors are not balanced then I agree it won't matter about using single ended or XLR, since you won't get the benefits of balanced circuits. I agree its purely for convenience of cabling then.
Anthem will take care of my SSP problems so I'm OK with them looking at it. I'd rather it be right and get all the benefits of this piece of gear.

barry.az

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I'm new to HTR and am about to get an AVM-20 + MCA50. Anyone have any tips that they "wish I knew that BEFORE I started setup and use". Thanks.:)

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
I have not used the XLR inputs. I'm sort of a minimalist. An AC signal is passed directly to the amplifier using single ended connections. With balanced connections, the signal is created and recombined by using active circuitry. This means that the signal is in some fashion is manipulated by the digital circuitry.

Typically, a balanced audio line is best when the signal cable is subjected to an interfering signal - usually associated with long distances. The interfering signal is equal on those two conductors but out of phase. The noise is canceled and all that it left is the wanted audio signal.

For short runs with minimal interference, it is hard for me to think that changing the signal source in any fashion is a good idea.

Has anyone just changed the cables and had a truly notable experience with short cable runs?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Doug, the Odyssey wasn't integrated into my system until well after I made the RCA to XLR switch. The results were observed on the Sherbourn and the Sherbourn only. The Odyssey has never been run with RCA, only XLR connections so I have no comparison basis there. My post was only to denote that I noticed a difference on much more modest components than the Krell and was not intended to mislead.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Barry,

Welcome to the forum!!!

The best advise I could give, IF you have not done so already, is to download the manual and read it from beginning to end a few times. I know that by studying the manual, you can learn an abundance of items about the AVM-20.

There are also a few other large posts on the HTF site about the AVM-20 with lots of knowledge there too. I believe at the front page of this thread, are some links to some of those threads.

Charles

Here is the link for the AVM-20 Manual.

http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...OwnersMan.html

Ron L

Auditioning
Michael

I switched to ballanced connections about six months ago. Also Canare cable and Neutrik (gold)connectors which were about the same quality level as the single ended connectors they replaced. Right off the bat it increased the volume level for the same setting. I think it was good for 6db. There was more detail to the sound, which as you all know, it great anyways. I am using a Bryston 4BST for my mains and a MCA 50 Anthem for the other 5 channels.:) :)

Ron

PS My cables are three feet long.

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to HTR and am about to get an AVM-20 + MCA50. Anyone have any tips that they "wish I knew that BEFORE I started setup and use".
Barry,

I have that exact setup. I agree w/Chas_T about pre-reading the manual. The other thing I would recommend is verify the s/w level before going through your set-up. You may want to upgrade that first to the latest version (2.12), it may save you some repeat set-up.

The first time I went through the set-up, I went through the manual page by page, re-read the parts I didn't grasp right away, and followed the book set-up quite thoroughly. It took a fair bit of time, but I am a tweaker, so I enjoyed that part. :D

I dare say you will have a much better understanding of all the capabilities and adjustments (and there are plenty) by taking the time to do that.

Of course you will be going back into the set-up menu countless time to try different settings for your room.

But most of all, enjoy your time with you new babies!! Welcome to the realm of proud Anthem owners!! :)

Dan

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
At the risk of sounding repetitive, I would have to agree with the other's experience with XLR cables; I gained a quieter background.

Not necessarily any improvement in sonics or imaging for me; I was using a higher quality RCA (Nordost Solar Wind) when I switched to Straighwire Maestro II XLR's... my Rotel 1095 is not as revealing with cable changes as higher-end amplifiers.

I seem to have compromised sound quality somewhat when expanding to home theater... hopefully will be financially comfortable enough someday to have the best of both worlds (if anyone comes across a McCormack HT5 on the cheap, please let me know...)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
All this talk of XLR outputs has me thinking....
Can I use a mix of the AVM-20's XLR and RCA outputs?
I have one 2 ch. amp for main L/R that has XLR in's, but my 5 ch. surround amp does not (RCA). Might be nice to use balanced outs for critical 2 ch. listening.

Can I run XLR to my 2 ch. and RCA to my 5 ch. amp? This is probably in the manual somewhere, but I'm traveling at the moment.

Thanks,
-Paul

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
Creating a balanced signal is creating 2 potentials instead of one, with the respective sine waves running out of phase with each other, plus a ground. Therefore doubling your voltage output and also doubling your potential for canceling extraneous noise. Sometimes you'll still get interference, which in most times can be defeated by lifting the ground (pin 1) from the balanced signal. These potentials differ when using XLR's as line level (what ours is) and mic level which is much lower. And its all done in the analog world, not digital. The two potentials are one reason most will notice a volume increase, since twice the voltage is showing up at the amp inputs. there are a couple of different designs for balancing circuits, but I don't remember the differences right now. Something to do with the way the signal is balanced or perhaps even just being perceived as such.

Barry, Evan gave you stellar advice, read the manual from cover to cover. You won't be sorry.

Paul, I use a mix of cables. My amp fro my rears only has single ended inputs. In the manual for the AVM20, it states that all outputs are energized simultaneously. I have found this to be true using various combinations of signals over the last year or so, so don't worry about that. You'll just have to be aware that most likely there will be a difference in perceived volume from 2 different methods of connecting to your amps, with the single ended not as loud, due mainly to only half the voltage potential present at the amp inputs. You can compensate for this during setup of the speaker volumes. that is where I do it.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Evan,

The results were observed on the Sherbourn and the Sherbourn only. The Odyssey has never been run with RCA, only XLR connections...
Thanks for the clarification. In any case, I would have bought in to a perceived improvement based solely on cables with a better build quality.

Doug

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Barry,

I'm new to HTR and am about to get an AVM-20 + MCA50. Anyone have any tips that they "wish I knew that BEFORE I started setup and use". Thanks.:)
In addition to the suggestions already given, I would like to add one more. Read this thread (or at least scan it!;)). It should come as a surprise to no one who has read portions of this thread that the AVM-20 is not perfect, particularly when it comes to the AVM-20's software. Consider it full disclosure, all of the pros and cons of owning an AVM-20.

That being said, despite all of its issues, people still purchase the AVM-20. Why? I can't speak for everyone else, but for my wife and I, it was the sound quality of our system with the AVM-20 that made the difference. Having owned a couple other processors and auditioned many more, it was surprising how much of a difference there was with the AVM-20.

Michael

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I've had my avm 20 since it first came out as v.1. In all that time I only encountered one issue with it, and that was a defective dsp board when I upgraded it to V.2(Frank from Anthem bent over backwards to resolve that issue as quickly as possible). In all that time I have upgraded the unit free, and still feel I have an up to date product. I don't have any pops or clicks either. Is the product perfect? no nothing is perfect, but based upon my experience I would reccommend it to anyone.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Barry,

I have another suggestion for you should you decide to purchase the AVM-20. I really wish this suggestion was placed near the beginning of the AVM-20 owner's manual, it might save some owners from software problems that pop up later.

Before entering your parameters in the AVM-20's setup menus (and after any software install, as suggested by Dan), reload the factory defaults. This is especially true for anyone who upgrades to v2.12 from a version prior to v2.10. Even for a first time setup, reload the factory defaults first and then MANUALLY enter the setup parameters.

Michael

Ron L

Auditioning
Since this is the AVM 20 upgrade thread, how about a "future upgrades wish list"

I'll start with a new dsp board that accepts firewire and decodes SACD and DVD Audio. Running 6 analog cables dosen't make sense.

Ron

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,

Running 6 analog cables dosen't make sense.
What if your current player doesn't have firewire? I don't expect people to toss out expensive multi-channel players right away just to have firewire.

Now, if the music companies are willing to have DVD-A and SACD transferred via firewire without modification, then I will jump on the firewire bandwagon.

Michael

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'll start with a new dsp board that accepts firewire and decodes SACD and DVD Audio. Running 6 analog cables dosen't make sense.
I'll second that, provided we can get quality DVD-A/SACD players that will allow passing of the unaltered signal via such a connection.

JimmyK

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
My wish list would be to have built in Auto Calibration Capability, like the new Yamaha & Pioneer receivers. This is something that could be done by a software update only - users would just have to buy a mike, cable, and plug it into the AUX (or other) input. Push a few buttons, & the Anthem could generate test tones, balance speaker levels, & apply appropriate parametric equalization.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks