What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Marc and Lee,

Are you guys using the balanced outs on the Anthem? If so were you able to compare it to the standard RCA outputs? I will be going to do one last test (some serious 2 channel listening) on the AVM 20 in the next week or so. As long as it can out perform my Rotel 1066, I will definetely be joining the AVM 20 club:) It has just about every feature that I'm looking for and sounds great in 5.1. As more DVD players come equipped with 1394 outputs does anyone know if Anthem will make use of the space they left for IEEE 1394?

Jack_W

Auditioning
Another question on AVM 20 accessories. Has anyone purchased IR receivers and/or IR transmitters (flashers) and plugged them into the AVM 20? Any good place on-line selling these? I tried Future Shop and Radio Shack but they did not have them.
I have been using the Xantech IR Receiver for over a year and have been very pleased wth it.

I purchased mine from Smarthome.

www(dot)smarthome(dot)com/8110.HTML

Jack

Jack_W

Auditioning
Are you guys using the balanced outs on the Anthem? If so were you able to compare it to the standard RCA outputs? I will be going to do one last test (some serious 2 channel listening) on the AVM 20 in the next week or so. As long as it can out perform my Rotel 1066, I will definetely be joining the AVM 20 club It has just about every feature that I'm looking for and sounds great in 5.1. As more DVD players come equipped with 1394 outputs does anyone know if Anthem will make use of the space they left for IEEE 1394?
I'm not Marc or Lee, however I was truly surprized how big of a diference the XLR balenced cables made when I switched to them. Truly night and day. For one thing there is zero backround noise from the system.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jack,

...I was truly surprized how big of a diference the XLR balenced cables made when I switched to them. Truly night and day. For one thing there is zero backround noise from the system.
In your opinion, how much of this improvement is related to the design of the Krell amp you are using and the AVM-20? I was wondering if the AVM-20 was really that much of an influence on the sound quality with regards to the balanced connections.

I honestly have no opinion one way or another, but the idea of balanced connections does interest me. Is it possible that some of the improvement experienced with balanced connections is because of the design of the XLR connectors vs. the single-ended RCA connectors?

Michael

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I used regular RCA type connections for about 9 months when I first got my AVM-20 and then switched to all custom XLR cables that Vince Maskeeper made for me. I agree with Jack. My gear is more modest for sure (Odyssey Dual Mono Stratos as the main amp, Sherbourn 5/1500A for center and surround use) but I still noticed a significant improvement.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan,

Well, I wish I had an amp with balanced connections to try this out for myself. OTOH, my amps aren't going anywhere any time soon, so maybe not! :D I was just curious why a system based on the AVM-20 with standard length cables (no more than 2 meters) would show that obvious of a difference.

Michael

Lee Wilson

Auditioning
This static discharge sound coming from the surround speakers, sometimes followed with the loss of all high and mid frequencies, is something that I too have encountered. But, I have had it happen on many inputs, FM, VCR, DVD, SAT.
I would really like to have this stop happening, but it is a real pain to pull apart the hole system and take it into Anthem. (On the good side, their head office is 5-10 min from my office). I really don't want to be without my system. Any software upgrades that I have tried have had no effect. Has anyone had this fixed?

Lee

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lee,

It has been mentioned that Anthem may have received a bad batch of v2.xx DSP boards in the past. The following is a comment from Dan on this page of this thread about this possibility:

For those of you that have had your AVM-20's for a while, may have heard that Anthem was having a problem with one of the suppliers changing a spec. on a part, unbeknownst to them. This was about the time I purchased my unit.
Short of trying your system in another room or someone else's home just to eliminate possible AC electrical issues, I would think that the solution may be a quick trip to Anthem (which you have the luxury of).

I am not sure your problem can be solved by a software fix, but maybe you could try one of the v2.11x beta test versions floating around.

For the record, when did you get your AVM-20, what software version did you start with, and when did the problems you are experiencing start? Also, when you installed v2.12, did you install v2.12, then perform a factory defaults reload, and then enter your setup parameters?

Michael

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
It has been mentioned that Anthem may have received a bad batch of v2.xx DSP boards in the past. The following is a comment from Dan on this page of this thread about this possibility:
I failed to mention in my previous post that contained that comment, that this information was included in the context of the e-mail I received back from Nick @ Anthem.

I just wanted to clarify where I got that info from.

By the way, I will swing by my dealer Monday and get the ball rolling on replacing my DSP board, and see what happens.

Yesterday, I did have a 'snap' out of my right surround speaker, (and yes, it was during a movie using DD) but the sound from the other speakers stayed intact (no loss of sound, and no muffled sound either). I was giving my system a pretty good work out yesterday - had a buddy over and I was showing it off. I have not pushed it that hard ever - still sounded great (but loud)! :D

Dan

Bob Curry

Auditioning
I'm having random clicks and pops also, v2.12 with a Denon DVD-1600. The center channel is dropping out as well. I can select another source and switch back to DVD and the center is restored. I e-mailed Anthem last night...

Jack_W

Auditioning
In your opinion, how much of this improvement is related to the design of the Krell amp you are using and the AVM-20? I was wondering if the AVM-20 was really that much of an influence on the sound quality with regards to the balanced connections.
Michael,

I was originally using the Krell with decent Audioquest single-ended RCA connectors. I was frankly skeptical that changing to balacenced XLR cables would make any type of noticable difference. I was very pleasantly surprized about how big of a difference was immedialy noticable. Not only with the background noise floor, but with an increased soundstage. When you get equipment that supports it, try them I am sure you will agree.

Jack

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jack,

When you get equipment that supports it, try them I am sure you will agree.
Again, I am interested in this subject purely from an informational standpoint, especially with regards to the AVM-20. Having single-ended amps that I have no urge to replace at this time, I may not get that chance to try it.

Michael

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious, what distances are you running with the XLR cables. I've heard it makes a difference over long runs (>20 ft) but not so much on short distances. My AVM is only one shelf above my amp (Sherbourn 7/2100), but IF there's a difference I'll switch from RCA to XLR.

Jack_W

Auditioning
...Actually, I am probably less skeptical about the possible improvements than you were initially. I was just curious which part of the chain is most likely to be responsible for the improved sound quality, the Krell, the AVM-20 or the balanced XLR cables....
Michael
Michael,
All three made significant differences in different ways. The Krell added real "substance" to the soundstage, warm reliable, never shrill. The AVM 20 added many things most noticably a hugh improvement to the clarity, depth and width of the soundstage. As far as the cables, as I mentioned early the thing I notice immediatly was the "silence" I can have my AVM 20 cranked up to 0db and if nothing is playing I hear absolutly nothing...no hum, no buzz, no hiss...and I mean absolutly nothing. For me at least this was a first. Its like having a pure white canvas in which to paint sound.

Jack

Jack_W

Auditioning
20 ft) but not so much on short distances. My AVM is only one shelf above my amp (Sherbourn 7/2100), but IF there's a difference I'll switch from RCA to XLR.
Minesh,

Most of my cable runs are six feet. My run to my Martin Logan Decent subwolfer is 30ft. I replaced all cables at once so I can't really quantify if the longer run benefitted more than the shorter ones.
If you have a good A/V dealer in your area they will allow you to take some cables home to audition. That will allow you to see how much the XLR's will help in your situation.

Jack

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Minesh,

We have similar components with the Anthem-7/2100 combo and I run Cat Silver XLR's with about a 4 foot run.

I owned the 5 channel Sherbourn when I made the switch to XLR's and IMHO, it was worth the investment. Your experience may be different. Also, I went from copper to silver metal.

Cables are such a hotly debated topic and in most instances, the rule of thumb is if you don't have long runs, just stay with single ended connections.

You can always purchase XLR's with a money back guarantee and if they don't make a significant improvement, just send them or take them back. As you know, you can spend a fortune or be frugal on cables and XLR's are not any different.

Charles

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Just an update on my 2.12 snap/pop problems upon signal lock using the Panasonic RP-91. Nick at Anthem sent me a different 2.12 that had mute timings adjusted for players like mine. Worked like a charm. No more noise.

Go go Anthem! ;)

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my AVM20 has been sent back to Anthem. I hope it will be back sooner than later, but at least I'll know it will be in top shape.

As far as this cable issue goes, at least coming from a pro standpoint, XLR is ALWAYS the way to go. Get rid of the extraneous noise and double the voltage potential that way. I would never use single ended if I could help it, no matter how long or short the run.

Glad to hear Anthem is getting these niggling problems solved!

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,
Sorry about your Anthem problems. Regarding the XLR cables, I guess I'll go for it - I see them on ebay for very reasonable prices, and if I'm not happy with them I can always re-sell them.

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
Minesh, try markertek for XLR cables. I got some very good quality at reasonable price. They use Canare cable and neutrik connectors and have a very solid look and feel (besides the sound quality).

GK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks