1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc_E, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

Well, I was able to find the box, but was unable to find any purchase or shipping information whatsoever.[​IMG] I can tell you that the box calls it a "Super SP-700" and that whilst the instructions were godawful, the unit itself works VERY WELL!! FWIW, I'd suggest simply keeping an eye on ebay for another sale on these. Good luck in your hunt.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Post 212 on this thread page has a couple of options for LCD displays, apparently a bit more expensive and smaller than the Super SP-700 mentioned above.

Doug

3. Bob Curry

Bob Curry Auditioning

Try the mp3playerstore .com (won't let me post the url). They have many models of small LCD's. They also have an ebay store. Parts Express also has 5.6" and 6" LCD's.

Bob

4. Dan Schulze

Dan Schulze Stunt Coordinator

Well,

I have had ver 2.12 in my AVM-20 for about a month now, and unfortunately, the one problem I have had very, very intermittently popped up the other day. I was watching a movie in Dolby Digital 5.1, and all of a sudden for no apparent reason there was a loud 'snap sound' out of my right surround speaker and most of the sound disappeared. (The sound resembled the sound of a static discharge.) What was left was muffled sound out of my sub, a couple of high frequency sound effects from the main speakers, but for the most part it sounded as if someone put a sock in place of my speaker drivers.

In the past I have tried various things to get the sound back, all of which worked. When I first noticed the problem, I rebooted the processor, then each time I got the problem after that, I would try something a bit less drastic. I was able to get the sound back by switching sources and back again. This last time all I did was pause the DVD player and started it again and the sound came back. I seem as if the processor has a problem staying locked onto the DD signal.

As before I have never had a problem with DTS or listening to a SACD or DVD Audio disc, or even a CD for that matter.

Did I mention this is an extremely intermittent, so I don't know if I will ever be successful in locating the source of the problem. I am glad that there is such a long warranty period. I almost wish it would fail completely then I could get whatever it is fixed.

I think I will e-mail Anthem and see what they have to say about it.

Dan

5. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

On the LCD subject. There are two types of LCD technologies these screens come with, STN and TFT. The STN displays are quite cheaper but have limitted viewing angles, one has to be right in front of them, as it appears. The TFT monitors (on laptops and LCD computer screens) have wider viewing angle and are more expensive.

Which technology to choose depends on the specific setup positions and potential future application one may find for such display. I am yet to make my mind...

GK

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Dan,

7. Mark Dubeau

Mark Dubeau Stunt Coordinator

8. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the "popping" sound on the AVM-20, I too have that problem. It occurs on my left surround speaker usually when the processor is detecting a Dolby Digital signal. Oddly enough, it never happens on DTS. I called my dealer and they said they were going to test it then send it to Anthem for further testing if they were to find the same problem. Well considering I do not have the highest confidence in my dealer, I decided to contact Anthem. The tech advised me to download the V2.12 software. Considering what Viva Las Vegas Dan had encountered after such a move, then I am leery of doing it. Hopefully his problem will be resolved smoothly and then he can inform everyone what transpired. Anyway, back to the flicks and tunes... [​IMG] Cheers everyone!

9. George Kouzev

George,

You have made the right decision. Based on my understanding, this problem is highly dependent on your source (DVD player, htpc, etc). The dealer would have used something else as a source and may not reproduce the issue.

This whole issue, as explained on the Anthem site, is due to lack of standards in this area, thus various sources exhibit different behavior on stream changes. It is really hard to find the golden middle ground, for Anthem and any other processor.

I still have a Denon receiver which had the pops on DD to pcm and back stream changes, or on chapter skips. I am using an HTPC for DVD playback. After I made some driver and video/audio decoder updates on the HTPC and the issue was gone completely. The difference I noticed is that the audio card actually no longer assumes DPL in the absence of DD, is stays locked to the last known signal until another stream type is played back.

GK

10. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

11. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    Anthem has come out with so many versions of software v 2.11 to 2.12 that maybe they should list them by dvd player, like v2.11k for Toshiba for example. It looks to me that in this situation One Size Doesn't Fit All

12. Dan Schulze

Dan Schulze Stunt Coordinator

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

This is off the beaten path, but does anyone leave their AVM-20 on 24 hours a day? I, for reasons I won't go into here, am thinking about going that route and wonder if anyone does this or if anyone knows if Anthem recommends against this?

14. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Evan,

I leave my Anthem on 24/7, as well as my Rotel 1095 amplifier. I am of the opinion that the constant heatingcooling of turning components on and off, and the surge of power when turning components (mainly amps) on, are not good for the connections or the electronics.

Also, I like having the components ready immediately when I want them.

I admittedly have no hard data to support these opinions...

BTW, and on the "beaten path", I do not have any pops, clicks, or otherwise annoying noises from my Anthem, either with the 2.09 or the (current) 2.10 versions (I have thus far seen no reason to upgrade to the 2.12).

15. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Thanks Lee, seeing as some on this board (like Brian) have had problems with the display, do you have the display off most of the time, with only a wake up brightness or do you keep the display on 24/7 as well? I think I am going to go that route of leaving it on all the time, but I am afraid the display may burn out.

16. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Lee,

Just curious on your opinions of the AVM20 paired with the Rotel 1095. I have the 1095 (B&W speakers) and I'm strongly cosidering upgrading my Rotel 1066 to an Anthem AVM20.

17. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I have the AVM20 w/rotel 1090 (mains) and 1095(center, surr, rears. w/B&Ws all around. N804 mains, NHTM1 center, CDMSNT surrrounds, DS6 rears. It is a wonderful combination. I love it and so does my wife.

18. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

The AVM20 is terrific; the range of controls and adjustments that are available allow me to tailor the sound to a degree that a receiver or lesser processor could never do.

The AVM20Rotel 1095 combo seems to be fairly popular; I have noticed many users on the HT Forums have these two together, and the store I bought them from actually has them set up together in their flagship system room (complete with Martin-Logan surrounds and a $40,000 LCD projector).

If I were to change a component, it would actually be the Rotel... it's sound is terrific for home theater, but for music listening, it does not create the realistic soundstage that my former 2-channel amp (McCormack DNA1) was capable of...

19. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Evan,

I leave the display on, as well, set on low. There does not seem to be a problem with burn-in (but you have my curiousity piqued, and I will certainly keep an eye on it).

20. George Kouzev

Another question on AVM 20 accessories. Has anyone purchased IR receivers and/or IR transmitters (flashers) and plugged them into the AVM 20? Any good place on-line selling these? I tried Future Shop and Radio Shack but they did not have them.

Thanks,

GK