What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
When I am using my AVM20 to listen to a CD, I occasionally turn on my DVD player. The DVD sound takes over the main output and I hear the DVD instead of the CD. I have not changed to DVD on the AVM20 so this is a little perplexing to me. Any thoughts?
If you listen to CD via analog and DVD via Digial and they are in the same input, the Digial will take over when it goes live I believe. Check you connections to make sure they are in 2 different inputs.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If you listen to CD via analog and DVD via Digial and they are in the same input, the Digial will take over when itgoes live I believe. Check you connections to make sure they are in 2 different inputs.
I was thinking the same thing, but Robert did say he was hearing the DVD output before changing to the DVD input on the AVM-20, so I assume that he has them wired correctly.

If the CD is connected via analog inputs and Robert's AVM-20 is at v2.10 or greater, then here's what may be going on. In the setup for the CD player within the AVM-20, it is possible that the input has been set to AUTO and the selection of the digital source for the AUTO mode happens to be the DVD player's digital connection. Once the DVD player is turned on, the CD input on the AVM-20 switches to the digital output of the DVD player.

Michael

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
If the CD is connected via analog inputs and Robert's AVM-20 is at v2.10 or greater, then here's what may be going on. In the setup for the CD player within the AVM-20, it is possible that the input has been set to AUTO and the selection of the digital source for the AUTO mode happens to be the DVD player's digital connection. Once the DVD player is turned on, the CD input on the AVM-20 switches to the digital output of the DVD player.
You were absolutely correct. My CD is connected and set up via analog inputs and my AVM-20 is at v2.12. I checked your recommendation and in the setup for the CD player within the AVM-20 setup the input was set to AUTO and the selection of the digital source for the AUTO mode was the DVD player's digital connection. I changed it to CD and all works as expected. :b

Thanks for the help.

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I can't find the cable needed to connect my computer to the AVM-20. Can someone tell me what sort of cable I need, and if possible, give a link to where I can buy one online?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Weird. I used to get the Rear Left Surround pop when my AVM detected a 5.1 signal and auto-set itself to my default setting (THX Ultra2 on DD or DTS). This happened on Digital Cable and DVDs the first time it detected a 5.1 signal; one pop, one channel, one time.

I recently updated to 2.12 and now I get a short click in all channels whenever I switch tracks on a DVD or whenever a new chapter starts... (it's a Panny RP-91). This is FAR more annoying than the previous 2.10 problem... should I revert back to a 2.10 or 2.11x? Or can I fix this some other way?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

No...I was talking about the RS-232 cable
Whoops, sorry about that! Someone at work had asked me the question about connecting their PC to their HT for audio output, so I was thinking of the same situation.

What you need is a "straight through" serial cable with a DB9 (9 pin) male connector on one end and a DB9 female connector on the other (the latter assumes you have a "standard" 9 pin serial connection available on your PC or laptop). These are sometimes referred to as mouse extension cables.

An example of one can be found at:

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/MXT100_25.htm

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Craig,

I recently updated to 2.12 and now I get a short click in all channels whenever I switch tracks on a DVD or whenever a new chapter starts... (it's a Panny RP-91). This is FAR more annoying than the previous 2.10 problem... should I revert back to a 2.10 or 2.11x? Or can I fix this some other way?
First off, I would let Anthem know of your combination of components causing the clicks. But yes, you can go back to v2.10 or a version of v2.11x if it works out better for you. I believe this is what JimmyK was thinking of doing. His post describing how Anthem is trying to best solve this problem is at:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...39#post1960539

Michael

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I too was loathe to spend much money on the cable. I found a 10 foot $3.99 cable (Canadian!!) at a computer store and thought I'd give it a try. It works GREAT!! I've never had a problem with software installs (except forgetting once to turn off my PalmPilot sync software which was accessing that port!) to my AVM. YMMV.

Michael, I hope that your hearing is coming back quickly and that you're able to enjoy the pleasures of your system to its (and your) full ability!!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

How long is the cable you listed? It doesn't say, although the code seems to indicate 6'. It that long enough to reach from the AVM-20 to your PC (or laptop)? I personally needed one 50' long to reach from the upstairs PC to the downstairs AVM-20. I found a 50' cable on eBay new for $10 plus $5 shipping. Locally, I couldn't find one longer than 25'.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Prathavan V,

...and that you're able to enjoy the pleasures of your system to its (and your) full ability!!
Yes I have, listening to several CDs on Saturday and Sunday, first time since Thanksgiving. It had been a long drought.

Michael

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
OK.... I finally did it!!!!:)

After so much research (over a year now), reviews and forum reading on Anthems and the likes, this is my first post here as a new and proud Anthem AVM-20 owner.

Last evening I got my black AVM-20 (the better sounding color, by many accounts;) ) and a black Bryston 9BSST. I had to wait a bit before I could plug them in as the component temperature was initially 9C, yes I live in Canada. Cannot say much at this point, but what I could hear quickly was the familiar nice sound which I heard when I had an AVM-20 and Bryston 4BSST for trial a few months back. My only concern was about the 9BSST power being less than the 4BSST. I trew some "harsh" full with low freq material and turned the sub off. Then turned the volume up to a point where my ears were very uncomfortable and where I started worrying about my Mirage M5 towers. I could not make this amp clip nor I heard it sound harsh. Plenty of power for me. So that was a relief.

My AVM20 came with SW version 2.11k, not sure if I have to jump on 2.12 right the way.

What is a good (and well priced) mini LCD screen that I could add to utilize on-screen menus. I do not want to turn my CRT projector for on-screen menus only. I would not use this LCD to monitor video sources as my video comes in as either component or RGB.

GK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
George,

What is a good (and well priced) mini LCD screen that I could add to utilize on-screen menus.
I have been wondering about this myself. We are not using the video switching capability of the AVM-20 at this time, but it would be nice to have a small LCD screen near the main listening position for the OSD.

Michael

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats George, and welcome to the club!!

For a video screen, I picked up a 7" LCD widescreen (I think it's called a "Super"??) from a factory outlet place on Ebay. I got it for $59US plus shipping. Came in at just over $100 Canadian total including duties, exchange GST etc. And yes it was new. It has a little stand with it and it works great! I too got it as I didn't want to have to turn on my CRT when 'tweaking', but as a bonus, I've got the component hooked in concert with my S-vid plugs, if I'm listening to a DVD-A, I can see the video or display material they've got on the disc!!

Anyway, something to think about. If I can find a link for the place I got the LCD panel, I'll post it, but like I said, do an Ebay search for 'LCD' under car audio and video.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Prathavan V.,

Please kindly forward that link so that I can get one too. I hate to having to turn on my screen as well. Thanks.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
George (s), and anyone else reading,

sorry, I can't find the link anywhere. I even looked at Ebay to see if I could figure out who the seller was, but with no luck.

I ordered it in December 02, and got it in right around Christmas although I didn't get it into the system until a few weeks later. When I get home this evening, I'll see if I can find the box and maybe I kept the receipt in the box for the store name. I'll admit though, that is probably stretching, so in advance, I apologize for not retaining more of that information.

A quick peek at Ebay came up with this one which sort of looks the same (mine doesn't have a speaker), but mine has a TFT screen and is Silver, like my AVM (which of course makes it all sound and look that much better!!:D ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=50563 of course this one is $20 more expensive (but for those in Canada, it's already imported....)

EDIT - skip that, their shipping is very high. I'll see what I can dig up at home.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I just received an 'different' 2.12 to try with my Panasonic RP-91. I need to get a USB-Serial adapter cable from my father before I can install it from my laptop... but I should get to it by the weekend. Hopefully it will fix my pops/clicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks