What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

John.Meer

Agent
Lévesque:

My apologies, the review in Perfect Vision does quote Rotel as saying they have designed an amplifier with less "air" (?!).

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Well, what's the news on the Anthem Statement SSP and amplifier??
Did anyone attend the preview mentioned above? Someone must have or has heard some news. It would be great to get a review of what the demo sounded like and what the equipment looked like.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Just heard back from Frank at Anthem...The diming issue I had was due to: "A couple of parts were replaced in the power supply....as to what caused these parts to go, was not noted."

Could this be related to the whole thing about not using a surge protector or AC line conditioner with the AVM-20?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,

Got my AVM-20 back...2.11k pre-loaded at the factory..still not sign of 2.12.
There still may be some systems exhibiting the pops, so Anthem may be trying to track the problem down in those systems. Or, there is some other obscure bug not being discussed here (much) that has not been solved. At least with a beta version that works, the pops appear to go away for most people. Even though we don't have the pops, I wonder if I should get us the latest beta version?

BTW, I am glad to see you are back in action! I hope no more issues pop up (pun intended!). ;)

Michael

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Brian,
This is what Frank told me they did when I had my blinking/overbright/text wash-out issue with my display. I have not had any issues related to this since.

Marc

DanielG

Agent
I am newcomer to separates and to buying a processor. As a result, I have been doing a lot of reading of reviews and surfing of online commentary. I have been particularly taken with what seems like universal accolades for the Anthem processor, particularly at its price point, and as a result it seems to be my front runner for a purchase. I do have a couple of questions and am hoping that someone may have some answers. While I have read through portions of this and other Anthem threads I haven't yet had the time to read more than a few hundred of the posts on this and other boards and so apologize in advance if any of these questions/topics were already addressed (if so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to the relevant portions of the various threads).

First question - while the Anthem has multi-zone capabilities, can it be used as the audio/video processor for two different home theater setups (not necessarily running at the same time, but permanently hooked up to it)? Or even to send SACD/DVD audio to different zones? If not, what's the best use of the other zones (other than to say run the speakers in the kitchen/bathroom/spare bedroom type of thing)?

Second question - I've noticed that there are a lot of comparisons drawn between the Anthem and the B&K Ref 50, probably since both are in a similar price range. It seems that many people who were investigating both have chosen the Anthem. With respect to current versions, what are some of the primary differences between the units?

Third question - This relates more to the Anthem amps than the processor but maybe someone will have some thoughts. The Anthem amps have also received very favorable comments particularly for the price. Ultimately, once I choose my speakers I will have to audition a number of amps, but first I need to figure out which 7 (or 5) channel amps to compare/contrast and potentially match with the Anthem 20. In addition to favorable reviews and comments about the Athem 5 and 7 channel amps, I've noticed many favorable comments about using Bryston amps with the Anthem processor - however, Bryston is a bit out of my price range. Any other strong suggestions in the $1500-3000 price range? Sherbourn has also come strongly recommended - anyone use a Sherbourn amp with the Anthem AVM 20? I am also looking at using 3 monoblocks for my fronts and center and then a much cheaper two channel for the rear speakers - any issue with a set up like that with the Anthem?

Fourth question - Does anyone have any experience matching Anthem equipment with Dynaudio speakers, in particular anything in the Contour line, or with Red Rose speakers? If I were to buy speakers today and stop my continuing search, I'd probably purchase either the Dynaudio Special 25 bookshelf speakers or the Red Rose Rosebuds with a Rel Storm.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments, they'll be much appreciated!!

--Dan

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
DanielG,
I'll take a shot a couple of your questions.

I listened to the B&K at a local shop before deciding on the Anthem. They had it connected to some B&W speakers and it sounded pretty good. I just wasn't floored by the sound, but there are any number of reasons why I didn't care for it. I may have felt differently had I tried it in my home with my speakers but the sales people where not open to the idea of loaning out there gear for a home audition.

As for amps, I did audition the Anthem PVA-7 for a few weeks and was not that impressed. The highs just didn't sound as clear and distinct as I would have hoped. I Ended up with an Outlaw 7100 and have been very happy with the performance.

As for multizone video, yes you can send the video signal to zone 2 or 3, at least according to the manual. Ican't say that I've tried it though.

I really don't have a clue about how it would sound with your speaker selections, but I can tell you that the Anthem/Outlaw combo sounds fantastic through my Polk Audio LSI speakers.

Good luck with your purchases(s)!! Keep us up to date on what you end up with.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dan,
  1. There are limits as to what you can forward from the AVM-20 to the other Zones (same goes for most processors). If you have a SACD/DVD-A player connected to the AVM-20 via the 5.1 analog input, you will not be able to route the 5.1 analog input directly to another zone. You are generally restricted to passing 2 channel outputs to the second zone. One exception is the digital output, which I believe is configured with the Record Zone. The AVM-20 can pass one of the digital inputs (DVD, SAT, etc.) to the digital output.

Some people have suggested using the single-ended preamp outputs for one Zone and the balanced preamp outputs for another. The problem with this idea is that there is only one set of time alignment and speaker level settings and these apply to both sets of outputs.
  2. It is much like Frank stated. It comes down to personal preferences, perceived sound quality, features, customer service, cost, availability, upgradability, etc.
  3. You can use any combination of amps you like. Depending on your preferences, if you are a 2 channel audio person, having a 2-ch amp for the mains and a 3-ch amp (5.1) or a 5-ch amp (7.1) for the rest is real popular. Some will use a 5-ch amp for the mains, center and sides, with a lesser quality 2-ch amp for the rears which typically aren't pushed that much. The AVM-20 has 3 separate 12V triggers to control these amps should they that capability.
  4. No.
Michael

Geoffrey

Auditioning
Hi,

I am new to this forum but have been using a combo Antehm AVM-20 and a BK 2070 amp. My question is how can I control the amp thru the AVM-20? I want to turn it off and ON without pushing the button of the amp. I do not know how the trigger works. Any suggestion as to what wire I need to connect these two without shorting the amp. TIA.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Geoffrey,

I am new to this forum but have been using a combo Antehm AVM-20 and a BK 2070 amp. My question is how can I control the amp thru the AVM-20? I want to turn it off and ON without pushing the button of the amp. I do not know how the trigger works. Any suggestion as to what wire I need to connect these two without shorting the amp.
I am not familiar with the 2070 model. For the trigger to work, there needs to be a connection on the back of the amp that will accept a 12V signal from the AVM-20. Many amps accept a wider volt range, like 5-24V which is on the B&K 7270 amp. There is a control I/O section on back (upper left) of the amp, with a CNTL IN jack. Does the 2070 have this?

Michael

Geoffrey

Auditioning
Hi Michael.

Thanks for your quick response. I meant the amp is a 7270, my mistake. Yes it has a CNTL in at the back. Now any recommendation as to what wire I need to connect into the CNTL in?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Geoffrey,

Thanks for your quick response. I meant the amp is a 7270, my mistake. Yes it has a CNTL in at the back. Now any recommendation as to what wire I need to connect into the CNTL in?
Both the B&K 7270 and the AVM-20 use the same cable for this application, one that has 3.5mm (1/8") mono mini plugs on each end of the cable. Radio Shack has this cable and in various lengths (3', 6', 12', etc.). Find one long enough to reach from the AVM-20 to the 7270.

Power off the 7270 and the AVM-20. Connect one end of the cable into the 7270's CNTL IN jack and the other into one the AVM-20's Relay Triggers (numbered 1-3). Try trigger #1 first. If at a later time it doesn't appear to be working, try trigger #3 as this one has a higher current level.

Go into the AVM-20 setup menus and locate the Triggers / IR menu. Make sure that ALL TRIGGERS is Enabled, then set the Trigger you are using to be on. For now, select the POWER ON suboption and make sure that an "*" is in the POWER ON row, MAIN column. Exit the setup menus.

Flip the power switch to the 7270 to the ON position. If the trigger has been set up properly, when you power down the AVM-20, the 7270 should go off into standby mode. Powering the AVM-20 back on should power on the 7270.

Good luck! I am off to dinner. :)

Michael

DanielG

Agent
Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts!

I did just notice this comment in the Anthem literature which may have answered my first question if I read it correctly (assuming I purchase an amp with balanced inputs):

"One AVM-20 can even operate two complete 7.1 systems. Each set of outputs operates concurrently - the Balanced XLR outputs can be connected to a system in one room, and the RCA outputs connected to a second system in another. Use Triggers in the setup menu to control when room "A" or "B" amplifiers turn on or off with a selected source and you can have a second home theater system operating with ease."

Has anyone tried this setup yet?

Thanks,
Dan

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Daniel,

In theory, the dual 7.1 setups could be accomplished as described. In practice, this would impose serious restrictions on how the two systems could be configured. As I noted before, you only have one set of time alignment parameters (speaker distances) in the AVM-20. The odds of having identically aligned 7.1 setups in separate rooms is extremely small.

Michael

DanielG

Agent
Michael,

Actually my speaker distances will be reasonably close, and while I haven't moved in yet as I think about it they will likely vary by as little as 0-1/2ft for the rears to maybe 1-2ft at the most for the center/fronts. I guess I'll have to figure it out more carefully.

I just figured that the Anthem would be a better processor than the alternative which is my Denon 3802 and that I'd just use my Denon as the amp and get better processing in that HT setup as well. Ultimately, I guess its not ideal, but just figured it was an additional justification to lay out the cost of the Anthem.

--Dan

RandyRSh

Auditioning
While I was gone over Thanksgiving (equip. all powered down), a strange quirk developed with my AVM-20. I use both of the center channel xlr outputs to bi-amp my center channel speaker. Now, regardless of the # of channels of the source or the mode of the AVM-20 (i.e., even with 2-channel redbook cd, using the 2-channel xlr input set to analog direct, or even using a digital input with mode set to stereo), the center channel plays. This does not happen using the rca single ended center outs (so I'm using them right now). I've tried pwr off, unplug and wait, etc., but to no avail. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Geoffrey

Auditioning
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your help. I now can turn the amp. ON or OFF thru the preamp.

My Anthem was out of service for almost 2 mos. because I had to send it back to my local audio shop where I purchased it from since the front LCD display had been flickering and all of a sudden display went dead but the unit was still functional. I called ANthem tech support and they told me to have it checked just in case. The local shop sent it back to Anthem ...Anthem fixed it and installed 2.11H firmware on my unit.

I want to avoid this problem in the future and I am wondering if hooking up the pre-amp to a surge protector can cause a problem (there is a warning in the manual about this). I currently have the Anthem hook into a BrickWall Surge protector. I want to know what's your opinion or any of the other AV20 owners whether plugging the Anthem to a Surge protector can cause a problem. I am not too comfortable hooking the pre-amp direcly to the electrical current without any protection in between.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Randy,

Which version of the AVM-20 software are you using? If you are using v2.08 or later, what is the value in setup menu #7 (A-D/AUDIO-OUT FORMAT), submenu 'g' (BAL OUT)? Also, are you getting output from BOTH Center XLR outputs?

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Geoffrey,

There have been more than a few reports about the front panel display on the AVM-20 acting erratically or failing. I have yet to hear about someone getting theirs fixed and having it fail again. I am not saying it hasn't happenned, but I don't recall anyone commenting on it.

If you can, find out what Anthem did to repair your AVM-20. My guess is they are going to say something about the power supply. If so, this might further indicate a possible defect in the power supply circuits with respect to the front panel display.

I would be curious for those who have had the front panel display repaired or who are now experiencing problems with it, how many of you used the "MAX" setting for the display, whether all of the time or during remote control adjustments ("HIGH wakeup")?

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks