1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc_E, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Daniel,

2. Daniel Bugley

Daniel Bugley Auditioning

Michael, no, the PVA2 does not pop when swapped with the MCA50 as the main startup amp. I may have made some progress tonight though. I purchased a new sub cable today and tried it (Paradigm PW2200 sub) with no change in the pop. Next I put the sub into "always on" mode, no pop. I had dinner, left the system off for 2 hours, turned it on and no pop. That's where I'm at at present..hope this is the "fix"..thanks, Cheers.

3. Michael Mohrmann

Daniel,

Okay, I'll bite! What made you decide to change your sub cable, and were you thinking this would improve the pop in your speakers? Or did I just misread your post? [​IMG]

Michael

4. Daniel Bugley

Michael,

the sub cable was the only speaker/pre-out cable I had not replaced or changed since the popping began, so I changed it. The pop is still present, but now seems to be intermittent and not constant as before. Makes no difference if the system has been off for a minute or an hour, also makes no difference which mode the sub is in. To answer your earlier question, the AVM20 is receiving a digital signal when powered on, provided by an optical cable from a Bell ExpressVu satellite system PVR. The source preset is set to PL11 Movie, but I have changed this to other settings as well with no improvement. I can remove all other components from startup by using the AVM20 remote, which only turns on the AVM20 & MCA50, still a pop. I'm not sure what else to try. Thanks, Cheers.

5. Michael Mohrmann

Daniel,

If changing the sub cable decreased or diminished the severity of the popping, maybe you have a grounding problem in your system that is affecting the MCA-50 amp.

6. Daniel Bugley

Michael, I just tried that several times, the first time there was a pop which seemed to come from all the speakers, in 8 more powerups I heard the pop twice. I'm not familar with a "ground loop". Could it be invisible to the system except at startup, without a constant hummimg or other noise? Many thanks for your help. Cheers.

7. Michael Mohrmann

Daniel,

It seems like you are unable to get a reliable cause and effect for the pops. No single sequence appears to consistantly give you predictable results. It is odd to say the least.

Something is causing the MCA-50 to exhibit pops when powered on much of the time. It may be an internal design "flaw" or it could be external influences. I am not sure a ground loop would cause this, but like I said I have heard about something similar happening before.

There are other tests you could try, like muting the AVM-20 or changing the AVM-20 to an input set to analog bypass mode before powering on the MCA-50, or maybe connecting the MCA-50 to a power outlet in another room (using a heavy duty extension cord), but I have a hunch that you will get the same results as before.

Michael

8. Daniel Bugley

Yes it is really frustrating, I like the Anthem gear and want it to work. I'll keep trying different things, I'm pretty certain now that cables/interconnects are not the problem, though I have not tried balanced interconnects. I'll advise if I find a solution and would appreciate any further suggestions from the forum. Thanks again, Cheers.

9. Matt Sprouls

Matt Sprouls Auditioning

I know this will not help solve your problem, but why not leave your system powered up all the time. The only thing I ever shutoff is my TV.

Regards,
    Matt

10. Michael Mohrmann

It appears that B&K is about to lower the MSRP on the Ref50 by $1,000 to around $2,000, apparently on Dec 1, 2003. For those individuals looking at processors in the $3-4K range (Ref50, AVM-20, TGIII, Halo C2), this price reduction will create a significant gap between the Ref50 and the other processors. It will be interesting to see if this generates the sales that B&K is expecting.

Which brings me to the AVM-20. This is, afterall, an Anthem thread![​IMG] I was trying to decide if this will diminish the sales of the AVM-20 or not. At first glance it would appear that this should take a significant bite out of the AVM-20 sales. But will it? For those in the know, how much advantage does Anthem have over B&K in Canada? How about the ratio of AVM-20 sales in Canada vs. the rest of the world?

Michael

11. Neil Potter

Neil Potter Auditioning

Daniel/Others;
    Thanks for your input. Misery loves company Daniel and i can assure you i've tried every a/b test you have(except the naked in the yard routine) and even gone to using balanced all around. It has to be a flaw in the MCA50 or it's pairing with the AV20. I have not connected a separate(other type) 5 channel amp to see if the pop disappears. I am dissapointed to hear that the 2.10 has the same problem... I also will add that maintaining a system on 24/7 is not acceptable to me, not from the quality level that Sonic Frt has offered and i have owned many SF products over the years. I have not upgraded for the simple reason of all the bug's that i have read about on this site that come up while trying to fix other issues. I also have run multiple separates as well as av recievers with out any of these hassle's...
    The ground loop is not it..my system is as quite as a mouse. I have also connected to a separate source and the same "POP"!! My last test is a different 5 ch amp....the last straw...Maybe someone from Anthem will get this and chime in with a idea...otherwise i'll move on...
    Thanks and please let me know if you have any luck!

Best,

NP

12. Daniel Bugley

Neil..still living with the POP here. I would like to know what your results are with a different brand 5 channel amp. Good luck, Cheers.

13. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Neil.

My Rotel RMB-1095 does the ''POP'' each time I open it. But it doesn't really bother me, because I let the amp always open.

My Bryston 4BSST doesn't POP at all. I use all balanced connection between the AVM20 and the Rotel RMB-1095.

14. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    Neil

I have the same setup as Levesque, but my RMB 1095 is powered up by a Rotel RLC 900 line conditioner which turns on the amp after the AVM20. I do not experience any pop with this arrangement

15. Michael Mohrmann

In our system, the AVM-20 is powered on first, which triggers the Marantz MA-700s. The MA-700s have a 3-5 second delay before completely powering on out of standby mode. No pops occur when this is the sequence. This is similar to Dennis' setup.

Now, we have had a couple of power outages in the last year and when that happens, the MA-700s end up powering on when the electricity returns. I need to power on the AVM-20 and then power it off to put the MA-700s back into standby mode. In this situation where the MA-700s are already powered on, I do notice the pops when the AVM-20 is powered on (I just tried this today).

In our system, we have had the pops with the MA-700s when already powered on before the processor or receiver as prepro we were using at the time. This may be normal for a lot of amps. In our case and for Dennis, the solution is to trigger the amps on after the AVM-20.

In the case of Lévesque with his Rotel amp, he needs to leave his amp on. It would seem that if the AVM-20 were at fault he would get the pops when he turns on the AVM-20 (I would in my case with the MA-700s).

And then there's the MCA-50 amp, which seems to pop in all setups. Is there anyone who uses the MCA-50 amp with the AVM-20 not experiencing the pops?

Michael

16. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys,

just reading but no posts, 'til now....

I've got two MCA 20's and the MCA 30 hooked to my AVM20. One of the MCA20's powers my main L and R speakers, the other one is for the surround L and R, and the 30 hooks up to the Center channel and the Rear L and R. Triggers are all set for Power on (trigger one and two, with one of the amps triggers being daisy chained). I have never experienced a "Pop". Maybe this problem is not applicable to my setup as it does not involve an MCA50, or maybe there is just some other variable at play.

Now, not trying to change the subject, but as we've all had 'puck talk' in the past, I thought I'd just let y'all know that I'll be freezing my tush off at the Heritage Classic game tomorrow, but I'll be enjoying myself while I lose my toes [​IMG]

17. Michael Mohrmann

18. Levesque

BTW, for those interested, I already ordered a new Anthem P5 to replace my Rotel RMB-1095.

They are taking pre-order in Canada, don't know for the U.S. The P5 should be out in 1 month or 2.

My Anthem rep told my dealer that the Director D1 has been push back a couple of months.

19. Levesque

Does anyone here had their AVM modded?

Could be nice to post some links or phone numbers to poeple doing those mods.

I'm interested by opinions and impressions on those mods. Is it voiding the warranty? What are they modding exactly?

I'm hesitating, with the D1 coming in a couple of month... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter